How to properly back up your route

Hi,

I agree with cascaderailroad -- I use DVDs to back up my Auran files in case I make a mess of the current configuration with my constant tampering. However, if you increase the volume of stuff in the Auran folder, such as copying an existing route and renaming it, or adding more and more content, you will eventually exceed the maximum that a typical 4.5GB DVD can hold.

When I first asked the question on this Forum as to what to do when I exceed that limit, one of the users suggested that I copy the Auran folder onto two DVDs by highlighting some of the files in the copy program and copying those to one DVD, then get the rest and copy them onto a second disk. Then if it becomes necessary to restore the copied version, delete the Auran folder currently on your hard drive, create a new blank Auran folder, and copy each DVD into that folder.

If you tried to delete the routes included on the original Auran disk after it's installed on your hard drive, you can't. I was able to save some space in the Auran folder on my hard drive by deleting the video of the N&W steam loco and by moving the folder containing the program's documents to another folder in my data partition.

Hope this helps.

Art
(whyfly)

Good morning;

1) Open CMP

2) Select the "My Content" tab

3) Left-Click to highlight the route and the session you want to back up. Make sure you also have the session for the route highlighted.

4) Right-Click on the highlighted route and select Save to CDP

5) Accept the default name or type in another. Select a folder to save your route.

FW

Is there a way to save all the custom routes at once? I tried to select all but the save to CDP was grayed out.

I back-up using a combination of the methods mentioned:

I back-up the Local folder onto an external harddrive.......but, because I (unfortunately) learned the hard way......just like regular hard drives can crash and/or fail, so too external hard drives will also fail (as will most everything mechanical) eventually.

For that reason, I make a second back-up onto a DVD.

Just gives me a little sense of safety knowing I have a copy on a disk that has no moving parts of it's own.

Regards,
Mark
As noted by Kree8tiviT, backup drives do also fail (as I see MANY come into the tech bay at work)... but what is the likelyhood of BOTH drives failing at the same time? (System drive and backup). That being said, if you are backing up to a simple flat file (eg a cdp), what happens if your system drive happens to fail whilst the backup is in progress? As such I also recommend multiple backups.
I have seen a number of references to backup utils such as Acronis (which is really good but not free from what I understand) which will restore your entire system from a HDD crash, not just Trainz content. For those who still run XP Pro, like me, ever heard of NTBackup (sorry about the sarcasm) but "Home" users do miss out on this. I believe all versions of Vista and 7 have there own versions of a system backup utility (have a look in system tools in your start menu). At this point I have been trying to get the archive option in Trainz2010 to work but I cannot create a cmpa file... it only askes to open an existing one. Is this just a compatability option for importing previous version content or have I missed something? Looks like the "local" folder option might be my solution for now to backup all the content I have downloaded as the content grows quickly and I'm not overly impressed with the response time of CM when downloading a LOT of data from DS. The maximum I got was 1Gb after downloading for 24hrs straight (and I can achieve 500kbps or more on my DSL speeds, the actual download speed is not my issue). This means potencial days/weeks or more to restore content if you don't back it up. That can use up a lot of FCT time. I have only had Trainz for a couple of weeks so excuse me if I've missed obvious processes.

For a full TRS2010 backup I use a program called GoodSync (payware).

Following is how to get a route {session(s) optional} and all the dependencies over to your backup drive in 2010. Other trainz versions may be different.

In CMP:
1. If you want only the route and all the dependencies you downloaded for it open the pick box on the left.
2. Drag the route to the pick box.
3. Right click the route in the pick box and select add dependencies.
4. Right click and select all, then add dependencies.
5. Repeat step 4 until no more dependencies can be selected.
6. Right click and select show in main list or press the button.
7. Set your filter to built in= false.
8. Right click in main list and select all.
9. Right click and select save to cdp.
10. Give it a name of your choice and location.
Depending on the amount of assets it may take some time to create the cdp.
Done!

If you want the route and session(s) saved follow the above but drag both the route and session(s) to the pick box per step 2. Skip step 3.

If you only want the session(s) saved follow the above but right click and remove the route each time step 4 is done.
Mike

As noted by Kree8tiviT, backup drives do also fail (as I see MANY come into the tech bay at work)... but what is the likelyhood of BOTH drives failing at the same time? (System drive and backup). That being said, if you are backing up to a simple flat file (eg a cdp), what happens if your system drive happens to fail whilst the backup is in progress?

As such I also recommend multiple backups.
I have seen a number of references to backup utils such as Acronis (which is really good but not free from what I understand) which will restore your entire system from a HDD crash, not just Trainz content. For those who still run XP Pro, like me, ever heard of NTBackup (sorry about the sarcasm) but "Home" users do miss out on this. I believe all versions of Vista and 7 have there own versions of a system backup utility (have a look in system tools in your start menu). At this point I have been trying to get the archive option in Trainz2010 to work but I cannot create a cmpa file... it only askes to open an existing one. Is this just a compatability option for importing previous version content or have I missed something? Looks like the "local" folder option might be my solution for now to backup all the content I have downloaded as the content grows quickly and I'm not overly impressed with the response time of CM when downloading a LOT of data from DS. The maximum I got was 1Gb after downloading for 24hrs straight (and I can achieve 500kbps or more on my DSL speeds, the actual download speed is not my issue). This means potencial days/weeks or more to restore content if you don't back it up. That can use up a lot of FCT time. I have only had Trainz for a couple of weeks so excuse me if I've missed obvious processes.

Craig,

I had one of those statistical failures where both my system disk and my backup drive fried, and this happened during a backup. How many cases have you seen of this? I too work in the technical-side of things as a support tech for over 400 users at my location. With nearly 30 years of PCs and other computer system support, I have never seen this happen before, so I wonder if I should go out and play the Lotto, or apply for one of those free vacation trips I get in the junk mail with my utility bill.

The Acronis isn't a bad program. In the past I've used Seagate's Backup-Exec (Veritas now), but that was a corporate version that only supported tape drives. The Acronis is similar in its looks and I agree is not cheap.

The old NT Backup is nice, and the newer version in Windows 7 is much improved than the previous versions.

Regarding your FCT. Downloading does not waste the ticket. It's there whether you use it or not, and using it to download older replacement parts does not waste its use either. Last year I spent the $85 (USD) for the lifetime ticket. This was just before the 20% voucher came out for it! This was worth the convenence because now I don't have to worry about remembering to renew the ticket. Besides, it "expires" in 2031, which for me would make my 70 years old. If I'm still around, and if Trainz is still around then, I'd be more than happy to renew my new FCT ticket then!

John

an interesting statistic... Only once in 30 years that system and backup failed simultaneously (was it a power surge on the grid?). you have way more experience in IT than me. I've been working IT about 15 years and the biggest network I've maintained is about 200 users on a Aust wide cinema complex. Oops... off subject. All those backup solutions will be great as far as a complete system restore, but I am interested in migrating trainz when I do need to re-install (like changing to Win 7). My problem is that I may have made the mistake of trying to update all my "out-of-date" material when I first installed. It used up my whole trial FCT when I got the game. Not because of data but because of the time it was taking.... reported about 20Gb... maybe it was not required. Now the FCT has expired I can never get downloads from CM and usinging the direct FTP link only works about 1 in 100 tries. The lifetime ticket is looking appealing. It would be easier from my perspective to use the archive function to backup all this new content (using search fields localation=local and built-in=false will list everything you have that didn't come with the installation). But I still need to know... can I create a cmpa in 2010? How do I do this? This is now as much a challange for me as much as a need to use it (thanks everyone for all alternate solutions). It's not a case of the assets I've used, but there is stuff I like and downloaded. I want to use, but haven't yet. I went nuts on my 1 week trial FCT so I can't remember everything that was downloaded.

Craig,

I don't have to worry about remembering to renew the ticket. Besides, it "expires" in 2031, which for me would make my 70 years old. If I'm still around, and if Trainz is still around then, I'd be more than happy to renew my new FCT ticket then!

John

Hi,

I know it,s a bit off topic, but the LifeTime FCT was for 50 years. I was assured at the time of purchase that in 2031 the ticket would be extended for a further 25 years Free of Charge.

Not that I,ll probably be alive in 2031, but I like to keep things right.:D

Cheers, John

What is it with all of this "2012 apocalypse" nonsense? The Mayans were pagans, so what are we doing following their predictions when they sacrificed their own people at times? :eek: :confused:

Regards.

Looks like the "local" folder option might be my solution for now to backup all the content I have downloaded

Back to the topic at hand, of content backup. Those people only backing up the local folder should be aware that I tried simulating a restore using this method and it DID NOT WORK. I believe there is some kind of database file that links to the physical content. Without this the game has no idea the extra content exists. This is only a guess. All I know is my content did not show up when I restored the "local" folder.

BTW. I realised I was just being a dumbass in regards to creating archive files. Have since worked out the basics how to do it. I think this is going to be the best backup method (or standard cdp). Either this or backup your entire Trainz game folder.

I just looked a little deeper... I thing "assets.tdx" is the database file. Rather than just backing up "local". I think the "UserData" folder complete is a better option. I am testing and will post my results.

Archiving vs Save as .cdp for backups

I have been archiving routes and sessions (*.cmpa) while others on this thread mention saving as *.cdp. Is one of these choices a "best practice"?

Or doesn't it matter?

I have been archiving routes and sessions (*.cmpa) while others on this thread mention saving as *.cdp. Is one of these choices a "best practice"?

Or doesn't it matter?

Either will work. You'll end up with redundant data backed up in a CMPA because if you use the same assets in different routes, then the same asset will be backed in all the backed up routes. The CMP will only backup the Route File and anything else you select at the time. The file sizes are quite a bit different.

Note be careful of the archives (CMPA). They have to be below 2GB otherwise they can't be reopened.

John

Hi!
Does anyone know how to back up from a Win 7 and restore to a Win 10?
Regards

Is this a data backup using the backup software, or is this just the Trainz data?

If you've used the Windows System Backup, I believe there is the same in Windows 10 that is also in Windows 7.

The program is called Backup and Restore (Windows 7), and is found on the Control Panel - open a PowerShell command prompt and type cpanel to bring up the "old' control panel, and look for this program.

Select a backup to restore from... you need to provide the image file.

For Trainz data, simply copy and paste the data from your external drive or other location to wherever you want to put it.

Back