Tips for creating complex yards?

jeffmorris

Are there tips for creating complex yards such as Coney Island yard and 207th Street yard? I have "Tracks of the NYC Subway" book and I created yard templates.

I've been going to Google maps and other map sites and using the images for Basemap textures. I'll lower the basemap until the top of the track shows through, then lay the track and paint the textures to roughly match the satellite images.
I did a whole train line like that with Google Maps satellite images.

:cool:Claude

nice railcars!

so nice to see these rail cars of yours. they remind me of fun times i had with the original 'A-Train', how the engines were there because someone liked them, and didn't just choo-choo in a circle... and, then there were those strange cargo boxes, overflowing the entire layout after awhile...

good to see your fine work.

How do I use Google Map images for basemap textures? What's the best view height for basemap textures using the scale on the lower left corner of the map window?

A no-win battle...

:cool: No matter where you model or who's yard you do you need to take serious the factor that if you lay all that track out, you will hardly be able to drive your train through, let alone populate the yard & operate it.

Track will be the first thing to load, then buildings, etc...there is no chance of a decent frame rate whilst operating in this environment.

Scenery that can't be viewed from or tracking a train is a waste of time as well as frame rate.

I am currently voluntarily doing a massive overhaul of a route for my own enjoyment...the original builder used a scenery object placed by the "nervous telegrapher," virtually stopping the game if changed to high-detail in-game...

In a transportation simulator, you don't have to see everything...it's nice, but you have to draw a line between pretty & functional...somewhere...

Back