Great Northern colours

yojimbo

As some of you might have gotten wind of, I am building some Great Northern Railway (as in US) steam locomotives. I have a little problem though; I haven't been able to dig up any information about the shade of green used for the locomotives' boilers AKA Glacier Green.

I have - via the Great Northern railroad Historical Society - obtained colour swatches with hex, CMYK and RGB codes for the Pullman Green used for the diesel locomotives, but not for the right now very relevant "other green". So if anyone has this information please sound off.

This will obviously not go unnoticed further down the (production) line ;)

How about this?

Red: 0
Green: 158
Blue: 130

Hexadecimal: #009E82

I knew that one Euphod and it somehow comes out a bit - well - dayglo to me. Which must be why I subconsciously have ruled it out.
It appears more like a sort of 50'ies kitchen furniture colour or one you would find on a two tone paint job on an Oldsmobile.

If you do a search for GN equipment in general you will find that the different makers of models also have varying opinions. I hate information overflow....

The Mike proceeds nicely nevertheless ;)

A new Glacier Green came out in the 60's that was very daygloy and was used with new goat logo.
Best photo I could find here:http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/gn/gn-s2584v.jpg

Yep, that one matches the ones proposed by the previous posters. I wonder if the old one was more along the line of olivedrab with a bluish hue. At least the models from Aster and BLI point in that direction.

See the outcome of this little correspondance HERE

Last edited:
Back