Milwaukee Road’s Power Supply

tume

Hallo,
here is some interesting stuff about the Milwaukee Road’s Power Supply, I found out during my investigations in the web.

Use the link below to see the simulated power supply at the Milwaukee Road in the Bitterroots, at Drexel, Eastportal and Avery:

http://lads.myspace.com/slides/slideshow_random.swf?u=364322290&aid=1060780

May, you will find the following background info interesting - Cheers Uwe.

The Energy for the electrified portions of Milwaukee Road’s transcontinental mainline between Harlowton, Mt and Avery, Id, as well as between Othello and Tacoma/Seattle, Wa, have been provided by a company owned 110KV 3 phase AC transmission line, running parallel to the tracks. The typical wood pool line can be clearly recognized at many Milwaukee Road photos. Some portions of this lines remains in our days beside the abandoned ROW, now used by different owners for several uses.
All together 22 Substations where necessary to convert the 110KV 3 phase AC power into 3000 Volt DC which has been supplied to the trolley. Later, the substations have been improved for 3200 Volt DC power supply, to support the heavy freight trains. In our days, may the current could be converted using big power converters, but in the days back of Milwaukee Road’s electrification, it was not possible to handle such power, rather than by the use of large motor generator sets. At first, the 110KV 3 phase AC has been converted into 2300VAC by large transformers. Taking this, huge 3 phase AC motors drove DC generators and the energy has been converted from one kind of electrical energy, for a long distance transmission to mechanical energy and back to another kind of electrical energy, as required for the short distance transmission through the trolley and usable at the electrical engines.

As the power equipment needed to be protected from the elements, the Milwaukee Road built large and very impressive brick buildings containing the transformers, the motor - generator sets and the control. Most of the substations constructed with a flat roof, but the Substations at Drexel, Eastportal, Avery, Ele Elum and Hyak, has been built with a gable end roof to handle the heavy snow during the winter time.

Initially the largest and most powerful substation was number 13 at Eastportal, within a capacity of three of 2000 kW motor generator sets. In 1955, substation number 6 at Janney has been upgraded with an additional motor generator set for more power supply at the Pipestone Pass and outnumbered the Eastportal Substation in power.

See some real photos at:
http://www.trainweb.org/milwaukee/substations.htm

Hallo Euphod,

you really must be watching this place always in time – I just posted this thread only a view moments ago J

Thanks very much for the compliment.
Your’s Uwe

Hallo Euphod,

you really must be watching this place always in time – I just posted this thread only a view moments ago J

Thanks very much for the compliment.
Your’s Uwe

My curse...it seems...but brightened by content such as yours. I await the release of your masterpiece with much anticipation!:wave:

Hi Uwe,
THX, just saw the mailer deamon replay. Because I'm sitting in the garden and this laptop has no Outlook installed, I've to go upstairs and start the PC....but what I asked was if we could have a phone con and chatting a little about MILW Rd and your project !!!! My tel no is 02104-449852 (Skype is not working at the moment for me) !!

Gruss Helmut

Just an odd thought, but is it really a good idea to just put your phone number out there for the whole world to see?

Hi Transitguard - the phone no here in the forum should be OK - normaly these numbers are anyhow published in any tel book readable worldwide - isn't it. If you wand to call me - feel free to do so for a chat ! Tume and I had a discussion @ 2 hours and it was great to chat about our experiences with Trainz and our projects in especial !! Really enjoying !!!!

Just trying to somewhat prevent prank phone calls, though I suppose it IS in the phone book if your number isn't unlisted.

I have been watching over and over the two video that you posted on YouTube, always wondering if this magnificent map was ever going to be made available to the Trainz community. Does your posting here today mean that you might consider doing so?
Thanks

I have been watching over and over the two video that you posted on YouTube, always wondering if this magnificent map was ever going to be made available to the Trainz community. Does your posting here today mean that you might consider doing so?
Thanks

Yes, you are right. The Bitterroot Section of the Milwaukee Road is finished – except some details. I also have to fix a lot of details at the many of my self made content, like adding thumbnails and so on. So this will need a little more time, but I hope, I can finish all during this summer.

For the time being, may you have a look onto my videos at myspace – especially to the main video, which starts auto,automatically at:

http://www.myspace.com/tume_um

There are even some more videos at the left hand side at this page – may you will like it.

I hope this Information helps a bit.
Cheers Uwe

-Tume

This is some of the best railroad simulation i have ever seen. You have done such a superb job with amazing detail. I wish you the best of luck on your future & current projects.

-Evan

-Tume

This is some of the best railroad simulation i have ever seen. You have done such a superb job with amazing detail. I wish you the best of luck on your future & current projects.

-Evan

Evan – thank you very much for your great compliment. I will do my best, to get the thing done quickly.

Cheers Uwe

Very nice presentation and slideshow, I really enjoyed how you combined the real pictures and the in-game screenshots for us to compare them.

You work with passion and it sees in your route, good job!:wave:

Very nice presentation and slideshow, I really enjoyed how you combined the real pictures and the in-game screenshots for us to compare them.

You work with passion and it sees in your route, good job!:wave:

Hallo – comparison between real photos and views from the simulation was one of the tools I used to create the area as realistic as possible – considering, I have never been in any of this places by myself.

Are you going to release these re-skins???

-Northern Pacific 2-8-2
-ATSF Erie-Build units

And are they going to be on the Download Station?????

Are you going to release these re-skins???

-Northern Pacific 2-8-2
-ATSF Erie-Build units

And are they going to be on the Download Station?????
Hallo,

the NP 2-8-2 has been originally made by Taylor Bishop. I created the reskin just for my video “The steep track of serpent – Northern Pacific’s Lookout Pass Line”. I will have to ask Taylor about the possibility, to put the reskin onto DLS. But I did not make any contact to him jet.

The ATSF Erie Build Units also needs several details to be fixed. I just used it in my video “Wild West Transportation” – you may have watched. The Erie Units seems to be finished, but it is not jet.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=49095276

Place of release – well there is a lot of stuff, I am thinking about at present. I want to get my Milwaukee Road Bitterroot section released after the summer. But besides the TRS2006 built in content and a lot of DLS content, it contains also more than 350 items of my own creation. Also I made nearly al of my locomotives as a set of items in its different livery versions equipped with different mesh and texture as required as well as with running numbers. This also includes the need of different versions of bogeys and cab interiors. I am thinking about making a separate “TUME” web page to be able to make the route and its contend available as some bundles. Also I would create download bundles for the electrics e.g. a Box-Cab-Electric-Bundle and a Little-Joe-Bundle and so on, containing many different time versions of the Box-Cab’s and the Little-Joe’s including a one base board route containing the consist of the different Box-Cab and Little-Joe assemblies as used by the Milwaukee Road, so any user will be able to use the different units in the way, which is historically right – for those who take care of it.

I hope this answers your questions so far.
Cheers Uwe

Excellent slide show. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I really like how you had real life and in game shots.

Cheers

Trent

Back