Valley Railroad(Essex Steam Train)

Gandalf0444

FVRR member
WARNING LARGE IMAGES!

I went to have dinner on a 2 hour excursion on the Valley railroad,where the food was absolutely amazing. Although it was more then 200 bucks for 4 people,it was very well worth it.. Here are several pictures I got out of my 77 I took while I was there.
Picture015.jpg

Valley RRs first locomotive 103,now retired obviously.
Picture031.jpg

Picture032.jpg

#40 sits idle,not even warmed up,waiting for it's turn tomorrow(memorial day)
Picture012.jpg

The kitchen car that is connected to the 2 dining cars waiting for it's 3:30PM departure.
Picture058.jpg

#97 returns to Essex,with it's train.
Picture060.jpg

#97 pokes it's head out from behind it's train.
Picture064.jpg

The Conductor signals the train to engineer of #97 to layoff the regulator.
(continues)

Picture067.jpg

#97 is coupled up and is ready to head northbound once again with it's train.
Picture074.jpg

#97 hauls it's train out of the station.
Picture076.jpg

The dinner train has come out of it's siding,and is now backing into the station.
Picture077.jpg

They locomotive 0900(85 toner) ready's to uncouple from the rear and run around to the other end.
And last but not least,me standing next to Valley RR's newest locomotive...
Picture007.jpg

Nice trip, eh? Actually fifty to sixty bucks or so apiece for a nice dinner isn't very much, especially if it comes with a train ride!:)

Nice trip, eh? Actually fifty to sixty bucks or so apiece for a nice dinner isn't very much, especially if it comes with a train ride!:)
Very true..although for some people at these times,it may be a bit,much...however you would never regret spending the money on it. The weather lasted as it did in the pictures about a little more then halfway,then it turned south and thunderstorms,rolled in...:confused: Oh well! Can't have everything:hehe::eek::wave:

Now you gotta roll in the trainz screenies to compare. Hell you could even gmax a little you to put in the scene, lol.

Davis

Some more pics from me! This were from over the summer, I will soon have more of inside the shop etc, as I work on 1 of the many projects that the railroad has.
100_1183.jpg

100_1184.jpg

100_1185.jpg

100_1186.jpg

100_1187.jpg

100_1188.jpg

100_1189.jpg

100_1190.jpg

100_1191.jpg

100_1192.jpg

That must have been alot of fun, and nice shots of ALCO 2-8-0 consolidation locomotive #40!:cool:

That must have been alot of fun, and nice shots of ALCO 2-8-0 consolidation locomotive #40!:cool:
Thanks:wave: Will be a lot of pictures as I work on Valley Railroads new locomotive 3025 as well the 0-6-0 porter locomotive number 2. I may be taking a free cab ride in 97 or 40, whichever happens to be running, the first weekday they run. Not to mention if I get the cab ride opening day they run a special to Goodspeed, which is 1 hour 40 minutes rather then 1 hour.:cool: Will certainly have pictures as I go back this Wed. night for a work session.

I hope you can get the 3025 back in service, the 40 could use a break from all of that excursion activity but restoring a 2-8-2 locomotive is a expensive job and maybe difficult,but it is good that you guys have it,keep up the good work though!:cool:

Last edited:
#40 was originally built for the Aberdeen & Rockfish railroad out here in North Carolina. I think she is the only steam survivor. She is a beautiful engine.

I hope you can get the 3025 back in service, the 40 could use a break from all of that excursion activity but restoring a 4-8-4 locomotive is a expensive job and maybe difficult,but it is good that you guys have it,keep up the good work though!:cool:
40 doesn't do all of the service, it shares the load with 97;) Then we have 2 80 ton locomotives 0900 does dinner train service while 0901 is a back up locomotive as well as a yard locomotive, shoving things into the shop when needed etc.:D
Here is how it was moved into the shop if you are interested:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33786891@N02/3856596709/in/set-72157621476386091/
And we can't forget the Valley Railroads newest car,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33786891@N02/4055920879/in/set-72157621476386091/

Very nice pix ya got there.....:Y:
Thanks man! Many more to come:D:)

interesting, I'm waiting to see what the rebuilt steam engine will look like once it is completed!:cool:

interesting, I'm waiting to see what the rebuilt steam engine will look like once it is completed!:cool:
Believe me so am I...after doing all the stay bolt work a month ago, it really makes me want to see it done. ETA is 2 years, and it is going to be a replica of a New Haven J-1a class locomotive, since none exist because they were all scrapped. And it is only right to honor NH since the Valley Railroad was once owned by the NH(reason why the logo is very similiar to NH)

Back