TRAIN DERAILMENT!

:'( :'( :'( You hit the nail right on the dot Rugrat. Euphod the engines were an SD70M-2 and SD40-2 all from the FEC. Yep I am pretty upset that the RailAmerica SD70M-2 was wrecked and so are several of my friends.

I always like to see the pictures and videos, it really just reminds you what you are doing and how bad a tiny mistake could be...Does any one know what caused it? I don't know, Maybe it was there

Okay you there's a picture to go with this thread.

Train%20derailment.JPG

The 70 looks repairable, however the 40 is trashed though.
This was probably preventable.
Investigators will find that out soon enough.
At least the crew wasn't killed.

No, because this didn't head-on a freight train and kill 248 innocent people.
Isn't it strange how something as small as a phone can make something so terrible happen?
Or should I say the stupidy of person.

Eh, forgive an old steam junkie like myself, but what is so special about these two locomotives?

Plenty of SD-40-2's and lots of SD70M-2s left in the world

I tell ya there's not many SD70M-2s in RAILAMERICA paint. Plus derailments involving the FEC are rare from what I know of.

OH NO, MY SECOND FAVORITE UNIT IS RUINED!! :'(

The 104, the SD70M-2 that promoted RailAmerica was in the lead, while the SD40-2 was 701, a couple of users of the FECRailway group claimed this as their YUK.

I guess the weekend I went on vacation turned out to be a bad one for FEC RWY officials and Hazmat. When an area railfan called me at 8pm Saturday I was shocked to hear the news.

Cause is likely a hotbox or something overheating.

I am part of the FECRailway group and Dave Shelley said that Tim, the engineer of train 107 (derailed) was alright with MINOR bruises and his conductor was ok. They held on tight when the train derailed and bailed out thru the front door. Shelley is the famous "East Coast Hogger".

I tell ya there's not many SD70M-2s in RAILAMERICA paint. Plus derailments involving the FEC are rare from what I know of.

You know it. FEC is remarkably safe. Hazmat and the FEC are investigating it.

I was lucky to get all four leading and trailing. These SD70M-2s aren't all that rare if all 8 are running, you've a 50% chance.

SIGH....

I would like to dedicate my video and mention a friend's to the legacy of BIG YUK 701: (totaled SD40-2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPNIC5wZjTc Mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az60vhHzfCg Friend's, scroll to 3:00

These videos are the same train, 701 leading train 222.

and what makes you think the units cannot be repaired?

Ive seen far worse being put back together. Remember the crash video on youtube with the head on? Both those units were repaired, if you search, they were pretty smashed up.

Chances are the SD70-M2 will be repaired

well atleast it wasnt one of FEC's original SD70M-2s (pre RA) or a geep. There were rumors that the SD70M-2's were going to be returned because of traffic downturn and that the three NYSW SD70M's that were being transfered from I&O would be enough. It make me doubt that either of the engines will be repaired.
Here's a shot of the same consist days before the wreck
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=283175&nseq=1

and what makes you think the units cannot be repaired?

Ive seen far worse being put back together. Remember the crash video on youtube with the head on? Both those units were repaired, if you search, they were pretty smashed up.

Chances are the SD70-M2 will be repaired

I know the engines SD70M-2 is repairable, but I do get irratated when new engines that are even a couple of months old are involved in wrecks. Yes 104 is my favorite engine as well.

well atleast it wasnt one of FEC's original SD70M-2s (pre RA) or a geep. There were rumors that the SD70M-2's were going to be returned because of traffic downturn and that the three NYSW SD70M's that were being transfered from I&O would be enough. It make me doubt that either of the engines will be repaired.
Here's a shot of the same consist days before the wreck
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=283175&nseq=1

There was a shot of the original hitting a mobile home I suppose at a crossing in the middle of the route. The rumors were a way to save costs, but I heard something else, the Suzy-Qs were to be given away probably to another RA road. I think they may repair 104 if business gets better.

Heard from railfans and the FECRailway group that the line will be shoo-flied and open up at 6pm tonight.

Back