textures

patchy

mango madness
hi,
i'm wondering if this is a problem
my textures come up grid like. i've tried different scales to no avail

textures.jpg

would it be anything to do with settings
i've also played around with other routes by getting the texture and placing over the original and it still looks grid like
any ideas would be most welcome

cheers,
patchy

Last edited:
G'day patchy,

Without being able to see the image you have obviously supplied with your post, I am unwilling to offer any suggestions but...

...from your description, I am guessing that you have 'run foul' of the famous tile repeat issue from which all textures (ground ones especially) suffer in Trainz. There are some ways to alleviate this issue but absolutely NONE to eliminate it. Firstly, you must limit the size of the area to which you apply any texture (the smaller the area, the less noticable the 'tiling')...

Secondly, when applying the texture, press the "[" or "]" keys at the same time you click your left mouse button to apply the texture, to automatically rotate the texture (though this doesn't always overcome the problem, especially when texturing large areas)...

Thirdly, set the "radius" and "Scale" settings in the terrain tab to their minmum settings before starting a texturing session...

You will find using these three 'tips' quite useful...

...although now that the image HAS appeared, I can see that I was correct, I would suggest utilising the second of my options above to break up the tiling effect...

Jerker {:)}

Last edited:
I'd also suggest applying patches of at least 3 textures of complimentary styles to an area (say about a screenful), and then using the copy/paste to spread them around the map. This can be even more effective than rotate on its own. It's also worth spending a bit of time selecting your textures, as some look better than others on their own.

Paul

thanks jerker and paulzmay
i'll give those ago
it's not the end of the world it's just annoying
thanks again

cheers,
patchy

problem solved
been using trainz for 3 years and you're never to old to learn something new
thanks again

cheers,
patchy