The Official Work in Progress Screenshot Thread.

illinoiscentral

SARM Volunteer
Alright,
Hardly any of us have fully complete route right?
Well, I figured we could post pictures of our "WIPs" right here.
I'll start with my partially abondoned CNO&TP Route Project;
trainz2009-05-0522-57-17-01.jpg

trainz2009-05-0522-57-42-22.jpg

trainz2009-05-0522-57-49-43.jpg

Looks good. I have a suggestion though to make the route seem more realistic; use alot more than one texture. On my routes that I am working on, I have about 5-7 different textures in each area. Don't completely cover anything, just paint a bit over it, overlapping it. It really adds to realism.

Yeah I kinda abondoned this project when Backyard and I came up with the idea to do this together...also delayed I think. Last I heard he was having trouble with the DEM.
I was still texturing when I stopped...thinking about resuming for the heck of it.

Woody

This is one I'm almost finished with. It's a figure 8 looped kind of route that I made for my nephew, but with decent details and a logging industry. I like the way it looked so I'm now building a point to point RR inspired by this one, but with more realistic operation. By the way, does anyone know why some ground textures show up almost black in my screenies? The really dark stuff is supposed to be lighter and blend into the other stuff.

Screen_002-1.jpg

Some new NEC screenies:

Catenary isn't all strung yet:
strench707_20090503_0007.jpg

All reds looking South at Lanham interlocking (right before New Carrollton going South) :
strench707_20090503_0006.jpg

Going under the Capitol Beltway 495, once again not all catenary has been strung....:
strench707_20090503_0005.jpg

More to come later.....

Davis

You're off to a nice start IC, but as jadebullet said, don't use one base texture. If I were you, I would make a Lime/ Sandstone textures combined with a rock texture and a few grass patches here and there.

By the way, does anyone know why some ground textures show up almost black in my screenies? The really dark stuff is supposed to be lighter and blend into the other stuff.

If there's an alpha channel in your screenshot TGA, try removing that.

If there's an alpha channel in your screenshot TGA, try removing that.

Ok. Now... I have seen the term "alpha channel" several times, usually referring to track. May have even been from you, Pencil. I think you were trying to help me modify some track bed at one time. What exactly is an alpha channel? And to remove it from a picture?? Would I have to look over the little check list Irfanview pops up when converting or "saving as" to a JPEG? If not, please elaborate.

David111767's 30in Mallet decorated for my Harmony Grove RR. That cab forward of his will suffer the same fate soon I hope!

Screen_001-2.jpg

Sub Par Productions 30in boxcars I reskinned into my produce/reefer wannabe cars. I'm gonna re-do these, It took some time for my insufficient brainz to figure out how to do the multiple skins.

Screen_002-2.jpg

Here are some more prototypical NEC shots:

1. Here we have the NEC crossing under the ex B&O bypass that runs across Route 50/New York Ave. Back in the day PRR attached 2 south and 2 north signals to this bridge and they are still in colorized use today. The bypass connects in a wye with the ex B&O (now CSX) Camden Line. MARC is the only passenger service on this line. CSX is actually tring to double track alot of this bypass because its a bottleneck in the artery of Chicago to South traffic.
strench707_20090503_0009.jpg

On the bypass looking towards the bridge. You can also get an almost perpendicular view of one of the ex-PRR attached signals.
strench707_20090503_0010.jpg

On the Ivy City side of the NY Ave overpass which seperates the shops and Union Station.
strench707_20090505_0000.jpg

All trains on the NEC mains (2 tracks) must blow there horn on whichever side of NY Ave they are crossing under. This is so because there are constantly workers milling around and it is a major blind spot so it is required. Dont you love a detailed NEC!?
strench707_20090505_0001.jpg

From the other side:
strench707_20090505_0002.jpg

Thats all for now!

Davis

Here is the end of the line at Harmony Grove. There is a loco service facility as well as a stub yard. Just starting to color and detail this area, and I'm still having the alpha problem with my screenies causing the really dark texture.

Screen_001-3.jpg

Heading into the previous scene...
Im kind of trying to employ scene blocking area to prevent obvious pop-ups in the distance on the more straight track areas to make for a better cab view.

Screen_002-3.gif

The town of Harmony Grove.
Lots of work and detail to be added. Should have som good switching opportunities, with most industries being active.

Screen_003.jpg

Screen_004.jpg

Elevated track near Ōmori-Kaigan station.
244xzj7.jpg

Keikyū Line Limited Express train at Heiwajima station.
vexhtg.jpg

Last edited:
Back