how do i reskin in trs09??

darrenclark1982

hi all how do i go about reskinning in trs09? as i have been told its easy to do but i have no idea what i need to do any help would be grate thanks all
from Darren

What I would personally like to know is if anyone has the .psd files for an RS-3, RS-11, GP-7, or GP-38 with dynamic brakes, or any USA loco or rolling stock. I'm sure someone out there has at least one of these. It would make sense if we all could share these files so everyone could reskin with ease. I've personally tried the tutorial found on the worldoftrainz.com tutorials section, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. What would make even more sense is if these files were released when you download something from the download station. This would make reskinning as easy and avialable to users as creating their own route in Trainz.

-Joe

You can't include source files with packages on the DLS, and just because you have the source skin files doesn't mean that you can easily reskin the model, it depends on how it has been mapped.

Paul

Hi acbdfaqoz,

PSD files???? That's Photshop Document files, why would you want them, you can easily make a psd file from a .jpg or a .tga just by loading the file into photoshop and save as a .psd.

Cheers,
Bill69

PSD files???? That's Photshop Document files, why would you want them, you can easily make a psd file from a .jpg or a .tga just by loading the file into photoshop and save as a .psd.
And loose the layering which makes reskinning much harder.

Paul

Hi acbdfaqoz,

Cheers,
Bill69

Well I know that. But the idea behind making the .pds files available is that the original .psd contains all the layer info. So that way you can repaint the loco or piece of rolling stock and still have the details of the rivets and seams etc. I know that some creators out there do have releases of these, jointed rail is one of them, http://jointedrail.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=65

I just don't understand why everyone doesn't release this info with a download. Or heck, I'd even pay for it.

-Joe

Well I know that. But the idea behind making the .pds files available is that the original .psd contains all the layer info. So that way you can repaint the loco or piece of rolling stock and still have the details of the rivets and seams etc. I know that some creators out there do have releases of these, jointed rail is one of them, http://jointedrail.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=65

I just don't understand why everyone doesn't release this info with a download. Or heck, I'd even pay for it.

-Joe

Hi Joe,

Nine times out of ten the new colours you want would not conform to the old layers anyway, so when you outline new layers and colour them psp will save in a psd format anyway. Then you have to convert them to .tga or .bmp to use them.

Cheers,
Bill69

I guess I don't really understand how to outline the rivets and details and still be able to add the rail roads colors and logos. Idk, I guess it's just over my head. And I've tried several different things in CS2 and haven't gotten any reliable results.

-Joe

I guess I don't really understand how to outline the rivets and details and still be able to add the rail roads colors and logos. Idk, I guess it's just over my head. And I've tried several different things in CS2 and haven't gotten any reliable results.

-Joe

If you are talking about normal mapping then download KUID2: 86627:2362:1 and reskin that.

Note that the rivets etc are mapped in such a way that you can change the texture file but the rivets stay from the normal map. There is more information in the wikibook.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Tutorial_for_Normal_mapping_(TRS2009)

My understanding is you need access to the wagon source to be able to do this sort of thing or it must be normal mapped to start with, so its not a simple reskin in the traditional sense.

Cheerio John

Now I'm absolutely lost. I have no idea how to do a reskin at all. I know how to clone and open a loco or rolling stock in photoshop cs2 and i know how to use cs2. Where I'm getting lost is that when you open a loco for instance, there are multiple layers compressed into one layer. I get the idea that what you're supposed to do is go over the rivets and panels on a new layer using the pen tool. Then somehow get that to match what it should look like. Then you can add the paint scheme as well as the logo. I just don't understand how it all comes together. And it seems that everything I read refers to something else. I can successfully "reskin" a boxcar using a photo, that's easy, but I don't think you can do that with a loco.

Here are 2 examples of what I'm ending up with following directions from http://www.worldoftrainz.com/Pages/Tutorials.htm
This is a gp-38 and an rs-11 that I'm trying to get into Maine Central colors.

acbdfaqoz_20090504_0000.jpg

acbdfaqoz_20090504_0001.jpg

-Joe

Basically it depends how the item is mapped. Some creators make it easy for reskinning others do more complex things that help performance but make it difficult for reskinning.

The only thing I can suggest is clone the item then make changes to the texture file and see what happens on the loco.

Technically you can add a second mesh or plane just off the original surface and texture that separately.

Ignore my last post you aren't doing anything specifically for TRS2009 and normal mapping.

Cheerio John

Well, you have a start there! I would suggest applying different colors to different parts of the main map and then viewing same in railyard until you understand what section of the main map colors what section of the locomotive.

Dunno without knowing the kuid you are trying to reskin. Which one is it?

Thanks John

I guess I don't really have a specific Kuid that I'm trying to reskin. Whichever one most resembles a GP-38 with dynamic brakes, RS-11, GP-7, RS-3, or U25B. Like I said, I'm totally new at this. I usually just use Trainz to operate nice layouts with other peoples rolling stock. Only now am I deciding to begin using this game to create a model rail road of my favorite prototype. I appreciate all the input.

-Joe

Forgot the F3A and B units :D

If you follow what I'm saying. I have no room for a model rail road where I live, so I have acquired Trainz 2009 as well as Photoshop CS2 and track charts for the entire Maine Central system. My goal is to model the entire loco roster and to have at least a branch of the system modeled.

-Joe

I guess I don't really have a specific Kuid that I'm trying to reskin. Whichever one most resembles a GP-38 with dynamic brakes, RS-11, GP-7, RS-3, or U25B. Like I said, I'm totally new at this. I usually just use Trainz to operate nice layouts with other peoples rolling stock. Only now am I deciding to begin using this game to create a model rail road of my favorite prototype. I appreciate all the input.

-Joe

Basically I suggest you start with a simple reskin and go from there. Most of my items are simple to resin so grab something like KUID2: 86627:2361:1 clone it, then edit, edit in explorer, under asset_body you'll find a file called ssa.tga edit that file in a graphic editor put some writing on the side save it, commit it in CM2 (<Crtl>M) then pull up the clone in surveyor.

Doing this will give you the basic process. Once you have that then you can start to do the items you are interested in. Some items do not reskin easily. Many of my recent items use a texture group thus are more complex to reskin. You need to clone both the item and the texture group, then edit the cloned item to point to the new texture group in config.txt and then you edit the texture group to do the reskin.

Cheerio John

I am trying to reskin class 2100 paintshed teplate and class 34 emd paintshed template in '09. In the body directory of them i converted .texture files to TGA files with the built in Texture2TGA converter thing but when i try to open each tga file i am getting error in Photoshop. So that means the tga file is broken. I dunno where i am wrong.
Also another question comes i already installed gmax when it opens for the first time asks me to choose between direct3d/opengl ? What does this mean?

Back