Little Known Narrow Gauge Steamers

double_truck_8_wheel.jpg

the double truck locomotive
1truckheisler.jpg

and the worlds smallest heisler a single truck heisler ther on my list of things to model (its a rather long list)

I'm pretty sure this loco or "Lokie" as its known is quite rare, runs on a relatively unknown (or at least undocumented) NG steam line in Ashland PA, around the site of an old Anthracite mine.

1585qn6.jpg

Built in 1927, 040 Lokie, the Henry Clay

Yup, it sure is!

Now isn't this a strange little 30in loco?

n_a

That looks like it works on dual gauge track, and has had buffers fitted offset to one side so it's able to shunt 30in and SG stuff. I can't actually see any 30in couplers though, so why not just have an SG loco? :confused:

I beg to differ on your term "NARROW GAUGE"

Per my dad, WHECSAILOR SR.
there is standard gauge, 3ft,
There is narrow gauge, anything less than 3ft
There is broad gauge anything more than 3ft, The 4ft 8.5 in and stuff like that.

No, that is not correct.

4ft 8 1/2in is standard gauge
Anything less is narrow
Anything more is broad

Look it up anywhere and it will say the same

For different areas, different gauges are SG. While 4ft 81/2in is generally accepted as standard gauge, it's not a worldwide standard.

New Zealand SG (and South African SG) were 3ft 6in, so they'd say 4ft 81/2in was broad gauge. And (I think) Ireland is 5ft, so almost anything else is NG there. And the GWR insisted on using 7ft gauge in their early years.

I think the widest ever was 10ft something in, and ran at a Scottish steel mill (somewhere near Glasgow, I think).

Chris

Simulatortrain Got it right!

Guys,, it was meant as a joke! My dad and I prefer modeling narrowgauge, so we always joking call the other broad gauge.

Looking through this thread,, makes me want to jump into gmax again!!!

But Standard Gauge is broad gauge, or was once

Actually, Whecsailor, you may have been joking but your joke was truer than you think. This following is from our late friends at Baldwin Locomotive Works about 100 years ago quoted at Catskill Archive http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/blclas.Html:

"If the line is to connect with any standard gauge road, the track should correspond and be of the standard broad gauge, which is four feet eight and one-half inches.

"If such connection is unlikely and narrow gauge is considered preferable, the standard narrow gauge should be adopted, which is three feet."

Bernie :wave:

What about Ely Thomas shay #5?
She's at the Green Bay National Railroad Museum. Bad news is that she's in pieces and is loaded onto a flatcar.

Back