Hand Brakes

Dmonky

Train chaser
The one thing I hate is to see my cars rolling down a hill when I uncouple.:mad: It would be nice to have hand brakes on all rolling stock in Trainz, like they do in MSTS.

The one thing I hate is to see my cars rolling down a hill when I uncouple.:mad: It would be nice to have hand brakes on all rolling stock in Trainz, like they do in MSTS.

There are handbrakes on consists and individual railcars.

When you uncouple from a consists, click on it, and press the A key to set the brakes so that the cars don't roll away.

Hope that helps!

John

MSTS does? I never noticed that. Well, we better stop all the chitty-chatty about MSTS. Trainz is competing against it, you know. If we metion features of MSTS more people may want MSTS rather than Trainz.

No way, I have both and will stick with the better of the two meaning Trainz. I haven't fired up the other in over 2 years.

:D

For handbrakes, always click "A" before uncoupling.

Actually, that only works if you hit the "S" key first in DCC mode. The handbrake command only works in DCC mode.

I usually find that if you stop a train, apply the brakes to full (A key), then decouple the loose stock will maintain the correct brake pressure when the loco moves away.

I did inadvertantly find out just how free-rolling Biddle's GUVs are - I was using the AI and wanted to put 2 of them in a loop, but the AI driver uncoupled and drove off without stopping, so the GUVs carried on and derailed, effectively ending the session.:(

They lost only 4mph over a 260m long stretch of track.

As for undoing the brake, press Q and wait for the pressures to read correctly. Note, you need a Loco to do this.

So does that still apply in Train Sim 2 (2014)? Hot A to tie on the brakes and A to release the brakes. I tried kicking 4 beer can tanks down the Hump and they just stopped. Wouldn't roll down. It's a problem if I have a heavier car behind them that has to go on another track. The beer can tanks will roll "if" a heavier car rolls behind them. Was wondering about this because at some point I'll be kicking some cars around in a multi track siding or spur along the route. So just to confirm: Click on the car, hit A to set the brake and A to release?

In DCC mode you press the "A" key to apply the hand brakes. However, when you re-couple to the hand braked consist and start to move it, the hand brakes automatically release. You can also press the "A" key again while coupled to release the hand brake too. You cannot apply the hand brake while moving (the message window says you do, but you really don't) and you also cannot apply it to any consist without a driver. In Cab Mode, all you have to do is apply the Train Brake and uncouple to make the rolling stock stay in place.

For use in hump yards and maybe even to stop run away cars, I would download the Directional Speed Retarder found one the DLS. You are able to edit the retarder and put in the settings you want for it. There is a "bring car to stop" option too. It also has a high and low setting for slowing the cars and an on/off switch. Keep in mind this is a trackside trigger.

Last edited:
In DCC mode you press the "A" key to apply the hand brakes. However, when you re-couple to the hand braked consist and start to move it, the hand brakes automatically release. You can also press the "A" key again while coupled to release the hand brake too. You cannot apply the hand brake while moving (the message window says you do, but you really don't) and you also cannot apply it to any consist without a driver. In Cab Mode, all you have to do is apply the Train Brake and uncouple to make the rolling stock stay in place.

For use in hump yards and maybe even to stop run away cars, I would download the Directional Speed Retarder found one the DLS. You are able to edit the retarder and put in the settings you want for it. There is a "bring car to stop" option too. It also has a high and low setting for slowing the cars and an on/off switch. Keep in mind this is a trackside trigger.

Thanks for the input. Yes I have 2 types of Retarders. One is a Snap On track (for the Hump Tower) and the other is a Pink Arrow I can place anywhere on the track and change the direction of the Retarder as well. The PA has 3 settings: Low Power, High Power and Bring to Halt. I disabled the Decoupler for now because sometimes I want to release 2 or 3 cars at once instead of 1 at a time.

Thanks for the input. Yes I have 2 types of Retarders. One is a Snap On track (for the Hump Tower) and the other is a Pink Arrow I can place anywhere on the track and change the direction of the Retarder as well. The PA has 3 settings: Low Power, High Power and Bring to Halt. I disabled the Decoupler for now because sometimes I want to release 2 or 3 cars at once instead of 1 at a time.

What is the one called with the automatic decoupler? Is it the pink one "Directional Speed Retarder" or is it a different one? If it is the pink arrow one, I didn't see that setting.

What is the one called with the automatic decoupler? Is it the pink one "Directional Speed Retarder" or is it a different one? If it is the pink arrow one, I didn't see that setting.

The Automatic Decoupler is called "Humptower" (all one word). The Directional Speed Retarder (Pink Arrow) was downloaded from DLS and once downloaded can be found in the "Trackside Mode Y" section when editing your route.

The Automatic Decoupler is called "Humptower" (all one word). The Directional Speed Retarder (Pink Arrow) was downloaded from DLS and once downloaded can be found in the "Trackside Mode Y" section when editing your route.

Thanks! I actually already have the Directional Speed Retarder and I love it. I will look at the Humptower today too.

Thanks! I actually already have the Directional Speed Retarder and I love it. I will look at the Humptower today too.

No problem. I plan on doing a spur that goes about a mile or two off the Main Line. My routes are in the Boonies - - no City Switching or Metro Yards. The spur will end up at a 5 track tanker plant where I'll kick a bunch of tanks down each track. I'll be placing 2 Speed Retarders on each one and adjusted to 2 settings: Low Power and Bring to Halt at least several car lengths before the Track Bumpers or Wheel Stoppers. So far I'm working on an industrial park consisting of Warehouses and Industrial Plants.

Last edited:
Back