My Trip to Folkston, GA

srr89

Content Creator,Reskinner
I recently took a trip to Folkston, GA and would like to show everyone some of my pics.

Folkston1.jpg

Folkston2.jpg

Folkston3.jpg

Folkston5.jpg

Folkston6.jpg

Folkston7.jpg

Folkston8.jpg

Folkston9.jpg
Folkston11.jpg

Folkston12.jpg

Continued...
Folkston13.jpg

Folkston14.jpg

Folkston15.jpg

This train had to stop to uncouple a boxcar that had faulty brakes.
Folkston16.jpg

The guy shown here gets out of the locomotive...
Folkston17.jpg

And heads toward the boxcar.
Folkston18.jpg

Boxcar is uncoupled.
Folkston19.jpg

Folkston20.jpg

The waiting consist.
Folkston21.jpg

The SD40-2's take the boxcar North to a yard.
Folkston22.jpg

Last bunch...

Meanwhile the Amtrak AutoTrain comes through.
Folkston23.jpg

Folkston24.jpg

Folkston25.jpg

Folkston26.jpg

Eventually the SD40-2s come back and took away their consist.

Here's something interesting, on Friday an Amtrak train came through and this happened.
BrokenGate1.jpg

BrokenGate2.jpg
BrokenGate3.jpg

:hehe: :hehe:

I'm not entirely sure what happened, the gate just ended up like this. It was either clipped by a car or it just did it on its own. BTW I took about an hour of video so I will make a video soon and post a link here.

Robby :wave:

nice pics. its fun there isnt it.

about the boxcars, are you sure they were not being taken up to be switched just beyond the jct there? ive seen them do this before and it kinda seems unlikely that they would happen to have the 2nd boxcar come up with faulty brakes and then haul it off to a yard seeing as how that would take i dunno, forever.

Nice shots, i agree with Justin, one of the best places ive railfanned. I hope i can go back sometime soon.
I would imagine they would have just dropped the boxcar in one of the industry spurs north of town, no way they wouldve dragged it all the way to Rice yard.

Thanks for the comments everyone. For the broken boxcar, all I know is that the SD40-2s took the boxcar away and they came back without it. There was a guy at the platform with the ATCS Monitor program (which allows users to see where each train is in a certain area, I highly recommend it) but he left before that train came through, so I don't know where they took it.

Nice pics, that broken gate was really something and that "bad" boxcar too.:cool: I wish I can go and I wish i was there too.:'(

Isn't that against safety regulations to be riding on the boxcar like that. It is on the railroad that I worked for.

Isn't that against safety regulations to be riding on the boxcar like that. It is on the railroad that I worked for.

As far as I know, you are very correct. It is against Occupational health and Safety, and is just damned dangerous.

I have seen people killed riding in that manner. I am also a bit curious about the clothes, they obviously do not have the same requirements for wearing PPE, or do they?

Good photos though, seems like a great spot.

Pete :wave:

My brother in law lost a friend to being coupled. It isn't pretty because it crimps you, so you are technically alive as long as the cars stay coupled.

Very impressive pictures, always nice to see operations from around the country. Thank you for sharing.:)

Last edited:
Nice Pics!

I shudder whenever I see an Amtrak or CSX or any other form of American Railway transport. Whilst the world has left modernism for postmodernism, the US is just walking into modernism with Amtrak's new updates. I can't wait to see the Viewliner baggages and diners. I hope they will be on by 2010 when I go on my X-Country Trip

What kind of video camera did you use to shoot your movie/video clips? Nice resolution and very well done for not having a tripod. Even the sound quality was very good.

cool photos there lots of trains looks like the tracks are ready for mow work. i hope these track were fixed and cleaned up to keep them safe.

What kind of video camera did you use to shoot your movie/video clips? Nice resolution and very well done for not having a tripod. Even the sound quality was very good.

Thanks, it is a Panasonic Mini-DV camera with 30X optical zoom. Funny that I just realized that there is in fact manual focus on it, I just didn't know where the switch was. :p So I guess I'll make sure to switch to manual during night shooting.

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

Back