JointedRail stuff [screenshots/renders]

With a GP38-2 shoving on the rear as the sun rises, the engineer of Train 607 notches out the throttle to begin the ascent into Northport station. Passing over Bread and Cheese Hollow (Town Line Rd), F9 powerpack #621 leads this westbound Port Jefferson branch train of commuters into New York City who are just starting their Friday. One more stop after Northport before they reach Huntington, where they'll transfer onto a long worm of M1 & M3s for the final leg straight into Penn Station.

scr_56c25634a394c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks gents, I really appreciate the continued interest; makes it easier to keep working. :)
Given that I've received a few questions about route length and a need to get people a little more qualified, I made the below map for our own guys as I get the route more operations-ready and able to sustain some decent sessions. (As a side note - when the route gets released, I'll provide a full list of freight jobs with where they called on, frequency, typical length/carloads carried, etc.) I started this route on this fishlips DEM back in 2008, and after a hefty break I needed to do some major updating of the 'completed' areas I did back then and in between.

Dashed lines are areas that I have yet to revisit and properly grade (I have entirely too many friends with the railroad who are making sure I get it dead on), but will do so. Solid lines are areas that are 100% functional with all interlockings in and signaled, all stations in, all freight customers in and marked with trackmarks, yards diagrammed, and so on. Right now I have a small 1/4 mile gap between Holban Yard (Hillside Support Facility now, other than a small portion that still exists for MofE/Engineering) and Hall Interlocking at Jamaica, but other than that the Mainline is completely operable. Detail is scattered but is enough to look at for now.

For reference points, Long Island City is MP 0, Ronkonkoma is between MP 49 & MP 50, Port Jefferson is MP 57, Oyster Bay is just east of MP 32. Operating sessions with a freight job can easily take 8 hours and keep you busy the entire time, no question. Same with pax if you go off of the job book and do a few turns at each terminal.

TRSMap.jpg

Sorry to everybody else for the thread hijack, I'll make my own at some point.

Thanks gents, I really appreciate the continued interest; makes it easier to keep working. :)
Given that I've received a few questions about route length and a need to get people a little more qualified, I made the below map for our own guys as I get the route more operations-ready and able to sustain some decent sessions. (As a side note - when the route gets released, I'll provide a full list of freight jobs with where they called on, frequency, typical length/carloads carried, etc.) I started this route on this fishlips DEM back in 2008, and after a hefty break I needed to do some major updating of the 'completed' areas I did back then and in between.

Dashed lines are areas that I have yet to revisit and properly grade (I have entirely too many friends with the railroad who are making sure I get it dead on), but will do so. Solid lines are areas that are 100% functional with all interlockings in and signaled, all stations in, all freight customers in and marked with trackmarks, yards diagrammed, and so on. Right now I have a small 1/4 mile gap between Holban Yard (Hillside Support Facility now, other than a small portion that still exists for MofE/Engineering) and Hall Interlocking at Jamaica, but other than that the Mainline is completely operable. Detail is scattered but is enough to look at for now.

For reference points, Long Island City is MP 0, Ronkonkoma is between MP 49 & MP 50, Port Jefferson is MP 57, Oyster Bay is just east of MP 32. Operating sessions with a freight job can easily take 8 hours and keep you busy the entire time, no question. Same with pax if you go off of the job book and do a few turns at each terminal.

Sorry to everybody else for the thread hijack, I'll make my own at some point.

Nice map!
Have you thought of doing the bay ridge branch to the interchange with the NYNJ (would be NYCH then)? You have a lot on your plate I can see, but for a distant future project, would that be in the books?
Again, amazing stuff Knifeswitch!!!

Nice map!
Have you thought of doing the bay ridge branch to the interchange with the NYNJ (would be NYCH then)? You have a lot on your plate I can see, but for a distant future project, would that be in the books?
Again, amazing stuff Knifeswitch!!!

The Bay Ridge and NYCH itself are both not far down the pipeline at all. ;)

Taking a break from the Island and continuing to spam this thread, here are Alex's beautiful new Pennsy geeps taking a spin in their namesake state.

scr_56c671ca79eb9.jpg

The Bay Ridge and NYCH itself are both not far down the pipeline at all. ;)

Taking a break from the Island and continuing to spam this thread, here are Alex's beautiful new Pennsy geeps taking a spin in their namesake state.

Man, it is all looking real nice. You could turn a guy into a gimme pig real quick with your shots.

Back