JointedRail stuff [screenshots/renders]

Thanks gents! The interest is what keeps the motivation alive.

As far as what has been modeled: the entire mainline is laid and signaled as far as Yaphank with all sidings and freight customers put in. The Central Branch as far as Babylon station (for RF-64 runaround purposes) has rails and signals laid as well.

...which leads me to answering the question about Grumman: I just half-modeled Grumman station not that long ago, and have a temporary tarmac slab laid down to mark where the facility will go. By this stage in the game, Grumman no longer had rail service (last car was spotted in 1981 according to my carload reports), but certainly still had a lineside presence.

That said, Fairchild Hiller (Republic) in Farmingdale still took cars through 1985 and is thus served by the RF-56 on this route. I do plan on eventually making the push to laying rails to LD (Riverhead), which means that I'll certainly put in the Naval Spur for Calverton, a location of which Grumman was also of course involved with. They took their last cars in 1985 (just 2!) from an extra crew who was tasked with running a pair of 1500s out to drop them off, and ultimately pick up a few weeks later. For the sake of my operations system, which is patterned off of how we operate the Bangor & Leiver with car turnover Google Docs, I have boosted these numbers a bit to provide some more interesting ops.

I love questions! Thanks for the interest.

Here's a quick shot from a few days ago. I ran an RF-Extra from Yard A (not modeled yet, but the Montauk Cutoff is modeled right up to that point) to Farmingdale (PW [Pinelawn] Team). This was taken after setting out the cars for tonight's RF-56 and spotting a bulkhead in the team yard. Republic Aviation and the airport are behind the photographer here.

SPECTACULAR once again.

Do you have shots of Island Container (called something different back then maybe)?

Also I happen to spend a lot of my time with the Lower Montauk Branch/Montauk Cutoff as part of my job (MTA). You have any shots? Or barring that, any Floral Park?

Thanks a trillion!!! This is the best.

hey knifeswitch1, that is a very nice looking thing there... any chance you can produce a 10-15 seconds video clip to demonstrate it? Just curious, that's all...

SPECTACULAR once again.

Do you have shots of Island Container (called something different back then maybe)?

Also I happen to spend a lot of my time with the Lower Montauk Branch/Montauk Cutoff as part of my job (MTA). You have any shots? Or barring that, any Floral Park?

Thanks a trillion!!! This is the best.

Island Container in Wyandanch was Combined Container Corp. back then and a pretty healthy customer for the nightly RF-56 out of Pinelawn. Their siding is in and operable in sessions (trackmarks for spots, etc.), but Wyandanch doesn't have a whole lot in the area of detail yet.

The Lower Montauk is in in its entirety with a good amount of detail around the important points: Fresh Pond east/west yard and Fremont upstairs, some ancient detail in Maspeth that needs an update, a bit at Penny Bridge, Bliss is mostly complete, and then almost full detail through to LIC. The Cutoff is also in, but lacks detail north (railroad west) of Cabin M. I have a little bit of the Arch St. trackage and the leads to Yard A in, but haven't really delved into that area yet. It's operable for the purposes of placing a train on one of the leads and running east.

Floral Park is also in, but not enough detail for me to show off although I do keep considering jumping back there. Here's an old screenshot of Bellerose for closure:

scr_574b5d7b9697c.png

@Erik, many thanks as always.

@Pdkoester, thanks. I happen to have a lame little video I did a week or so ago as a test of some new passenger cars sounds I made for the PT72Cs from PT72Cs. These were made from the real thing.
Location is Merillon Ave which just got some detail not that long ago - this is looking east towards Mineola. The larger station on the north side of the tracks is just a stand-in. The orangeyness on the video is a result of me running Flux to tint my screen; after staring at monitors for 9 hours, doing the same after work hurts!

I should probably make my own thread at some point! Sorry for hogging the space.

Last edited:
Gotta say Knifeswitch, I'm loving that Long Island project. Can't say I know an awful lot about the railroad itself or the locations but the shots you've been giving us are stunning, and from what I've been reading, you've been getting the locations absolutely spot on. Absolutely looking forward to seeing more of this.

Out of curiosity, is there any chance we might see one of those commuter cars wearing this scheme? (linked to avoid taking up space with off topic pictures) I know that at least these 2900's wore them as delivered in '56, but I don't know an awful lot more beyond that, although if memory serves I believe they were repainted in the '60's? (correct me if I'm wrong). I spy a Jurassic Park poster in your screenshot which would date your route in the '90's, so I'm just curious if we would see it or if it is too out of the era you're modelling to consider. I was working in one of those cars earlier today at the museum I volunteer with and I thought it might be cool to see.

Either way, keep up your amazing work!

To be honest, I think some old Pullman Heavyweights would be a nice addition to the game. I would, If I didn't have school and work nowadays.

You do realize that we have tons of pullmans right? Freeware ones in the DLS, some really new payware (and a few freeware) on TF and millions of reskins.........

-Ben

I think we are in a desperate need of more passenger equipment...

I definitely agree Petrama25. We need more passenger equipment for Trainz. There is alot of freight equipment but I think it would be great to have more equipment for the Tri State Area. There is a shoreliner and amfleet for trainz but they are many years old. These would be a nice addition to Trainz. Which program do you use to create these models?

Thanks for the kind words all.

I definitely agree Petrama25. We need more passenger equipment for Trainz. There is alot of freight equipment but I think it would be great to have more equipment for the Tri State Area. There is a shoreliner and amfleet for trainz but they are many years old. These would be a nice addition to Trainz. Which program do you use to create these models?

These two were modeled in blender and rendered in max. (I am currently using max now for my all my modeling)
Payware or Freeware? Cause if freeware, I'll betcha people will be downloading em like crazy!
Undecided at this current point in time. Depends on what features they have. (Custom interior, scripting, etc)

Very nice models, Petrama.

They look like plastic models at this point. :D

Do you have the decal pack that comes with these?

Yep, another content creator poached by the evil payware villains at Jointedrail :p

And I've said it before but I'll say it again, they're looking beautiful Nick!

Back