Smooth Hills

klambert

Ca Plane Pour Moi
How do you create smooth hills because mine end up all lumpy and they look like mountains. Its very frustrating

How do you create smooth hills because mine end up all lumpy and they look like mountains. Its very frustrating

Hello Klambert,

I realise you might be new to all this, so may I make a suggestion?

Please only post once, in the correct forum. You are more likely to get some help with your answer.

Posting the same question in multiple forums will almost certainly get you ignored.

Enjoy the ride, it may get a bit bumpy at times.

Pete :wave:

Hills are alive...

I am not sure what version of Trainz you're using, but in 2004 I go to the Topology Tab, the one at the top in Surveyor, spin the Size circle to full and then close the Speed of Application circle down as low as possible.
Then try, you will find a large area rise instead of small bits and by moving the cursor along carefully a decent hill can be created.
Look in my thread in the Screenshots section 'New Branchline SLW' and you will see quite a few hills made exactly that way.
It really is just practice, so open a new route (single board) and try on that rather than on the one you are working on.

Angela

Not only will you be ignored, "cross posting" as it's called isn't tolerated in many forums and they could ban you for life.

Monkeywrench

For slopes, I use a wide road or track spline, set at top and bottom of the mountain, smooth it, move one width and repeat. move slowly around the mountain till you ar close, them fine tune with shorter sections and scenery.

cross-post?

I did a search on the name and only found the one for hills. Where's the other one?

Angela

EDIT: Answered my own question. But only one showed on the search.
I agree, only ask the question once and this one was better in the General tab, stands a better chance of more replies.
I think the person is young, and perhaps a little foolish to do this, but we should give him(?) a chance. No more cross-posting.

Angela

Last edited:
What I do is set my radius to half, and my sensitivity to the lowest. I then go around where I want my mountain, and raise the outline of the entire mountain. I then move inward bit by bit, until I have a mountain.

All the above techniques work very well and you should try them, although i must add my findings.

When you raise and lower the terrain alot you will sometimes get "points", as i call them, where the terrain juts out in small (or large) area's causing triangle shapes to protrude from it. To remedy this use the smallest of small brushes, which will only move ONE cross-section of the terrain, you will be able to smooth them out by raising or lowering it.

Last edited:
Use Transdem and import some DEM data. Even if you're doing a fictional route, selecting terrain from a similar real world area will get you off to a good start.

When i have to redo a whole mountainrange ( because of to much holes in the dem ) , i place every 80 m a rail from the river to the mountaintop , with a few splinepoints, as a guide for the mountain that i want to make ; then i use the topology function , size at full , speed at 1 .
After a lot of exercising , you can get a reasonable result .

Back