Signals issue

Aarow

I have the question here: why do some signals always show red even the track is clear? And also these signs do not show any additional information when stopping the mouse over them.. The other question is why the signs go red when they are in the "no train approaching" state? Thanks again.:)

In these cases(my first question) there is also an error message on the right corner of screen such like signal_2asprh : Thread Exception: ER_NativeCallError, line -1, file signal.gs (3)... :(

I solved the problem myself this was occuring from the non-railway items used from objects when building a new rail block..

On US mainlines, signals at interlockings (CTC) are always red when the block has not been cleared by the dispatcher. Once the block is cleared for a train, the signal will show the correct aspect.

"Automatic" signals, which are not CTC (dispatcher) controlled are normally dark when no train is approaching, showing an aspect only when there is a train in the approach block.

I have found that Trainz signals do not accurately depict US mainline prototype. A signal will not show the correct aspect as soon as a train enters the block (between the previous signal and the next), but instead begin to display when the train is at some specified distance from the signal.
I have also found that signals will display varying aspects and messages (when moused over) when the block ahead is unsignaled or closed (switch thrown against, etc). It depends on how the signal is scripted.
Not being really familiar with Trainz scripting, I have no info on this.

I am glad that you figured out your issue on your own. You always learn more by solving a problem yourself than letting someone else do it.

FW

I have the question here: why do some signals always show red even the track is clear? And also these signs do not show any additional information when stopping the mouse over them.. The other question is why the signs go red when they are in the "no train approaching" state? Thanks again.:)

For prototype railroading, and making it a bit easier, their are several types of signals.

A signal that displays normally a red aspect is referred to as a home signal, or absolute. They are controlled either locally by the signaller, or remotely by a train controller. A train controller can be thousands of miles away.

A signal that displays normally a proceed aspect is referred to as a automatic signal, or permissive. They are controlled by the passage of trains.

As FW has mentioned, in some places automatic, or permissive are only activated on the approach of a train. In many places now, the power for these signals is delivered by solar panels. Most of the newer signals are now using LED, saves heaps of power, and if some of the LED's fail, the rest will show. Signals that use normal incandescent bulbs are a failure when the bulb fails.

Hope this helps.

Pete :wave:

Thanks for replies. There is another question just not related to this topic. As a beginner and not having used DLS yet, excuse my inexperience, i am using TS2009. Are the objects/locos etc. built for the other versions(2004/2006...) usable in '09 ? Can i use them directly by downloading them and their dependent assets? I don't know anything about compatibility in Trainz. Thanks again :)

Yes you can use them. Some will not work in 2009, but they will be few and far between.

Back