TUME’s Simulation of “The Milwaukee Road”

@ Forester1:
Thank you very much for your compliments.

@ jordon412:
Thank you for the link – it’s a very nice-looking model RR he has created. I plan a new H0-scale model RR as well. But still, it is all about planning track layouts :)

@ john2002:
As I began working at the Avery-Drexel route I really thought about creating it in a snowy winter appearance. But eventually I putted forward in favor of the ordinary summer route, which has been published within Trainz 2010 engineer’s edition.

But even Trainz 2010 changed things as it supported seasonal assets the very first time. Back that time season change was only maintained for the speed trees, ground textures and non-spline objects. Any track, road, river, catenary and telegraph assets still maintained only one season.

But N3V games announced that this will be implemented into the next release – and they kept that promise. Eventually I created my own substitutions for all of the assets I used from the DLS. Of course I created my assets in the new seasonal way. With the upcoming TS12 and its service patsches I could also change all my spline objects into seasonal assets. Eventually I reworked the entire Avery-Drexel route to support season change and the reworked route has been published within Trainz: A New Era – Deluxe. In addition to this I also published my side project route “Season Town” at Trainz: A New Era – Deluxe. This route I created because I wanted to build a quick seasonal route to show off the possibilities of the season change feature to the trainz users and I was in doubt that I would be able to get the Avery-Drexel route finished in a seasonal way until the deadline. I hoped I could bring other content creators to maintain season change with their own assets. Eventually I could finish both routes although at the last weeks I had some sleepless nights to get anything done :)

Today a lot of content creators are creating seasonal ground textures and/or speed trees. But as far as I know, there are only a few content creators creating seasonal object or spline-assets (Dinorius_Redundicus for example).

Well – the only way to put season change functionality onto an existing asset is to create a snowy looking reskin of it and to put all the needed files into the folder structure of a seasonal asset as required. Also, a new config.txt is required. But first you will need the permission of the original creator to do so. Unfortunately, many assets use the textures everywhere at its mesh and reskinning a roof texture turns even other parts of it into a white looking appearance where you don’t want it.
Due to that reason I only used this possibility just a very few times and I mostly created my own seasonal assets :)

Your's TUME
really tempted to attempt making my own custom building assets and make them seasonal

hey TUME, you think you could do seasonal assets for anyone's needs? we don't have enough seasonal road vehicles, industries, factory buildings, stores and restaurants, road signs, railroad crossing gates (which your route really lacks), yard clutter, scenic clutter, etc. in Trainz yet MSTS is full of seasonal stuff

Well, I created a lot of seasonal buildings and structures. Rail-Road crossing signs will be required for Alberton, MT and so I will create a set of such signs as well - later when I will start to put such details into the route.

But of course I concentrate myself to create assets required for my route projects - as there are my Milwaukee Road project and my Municipal Transit Railway. The Municipal Transit Railway has been released as TS12-builtin content and during the last years I am working to get a full seasonal support for that route as well. Therefore I already created much more seasonal assets than for the Milwaukee Road, as town and city buildings, advertising billboards ground textures, sidewlks, assets needed for streetcarlines, walls and fences and so on.

To show of all the mentioned seasonal assets I already created for the Municipal Transit Railway, I wil l start a new thread for that project.
If you are intrested to have a glimpse onto a lot of my new and still anreleased seasonal assets, please feel free have a look into that new theat which will be called "TUME’s Project "Municipal Transit Railway"".

Your's TUME

Now working from Fish Creek toward Alberton, MT

Hello,
after reaching St. Regis, MT coming from east, some days ago I started to work at the landscape decoration going from Fish Creek towards Alberton, MT.

Here you can see some screenshots from the old yards down in the Fsh Creek Valley. That yard has long been abandoned, but the remains can still be seen at google maps.

The 1956-USGS-Topo-Map from that area indicates the yard tracks but it tells nothing about the train yard objectives. So I guess it probably have been a logging yard.

If anybody should know some more detailes about that specific yard near the Fish Creek Viaduct (still in use at the BNFS line from Missoula, MT via Superior and St. Regis, MT to Paradise, MT), please dont hesitate to write me about it. It would especially intresting to know what that yard really was for and when it has been abandoned and dismantled.
Thank you in advance.

The screens indicates a loaded logging train been pushed back hillup to enter the main track. After the train passed the switch, it turns direction and the locos pulles the train westbound towards St. Regis.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Your's TUME

Wind Power for The Milwaukee Road

Building the Milwaukee Road in Trainz means I need to do a lot of investigations to find out how the whole corridore used to look like back the time at the end of the 60's and the beginning of the 70's.
Eventually I also need to check all these old fotos with the relief of the areas in google map which showes me the MILW corridor in its todays appearence.

Sometimes it is just hard to beliefe that all this MILW stuff has just been gone ...
... and sometimes during the many houres of ground texturing and tree and building placement, I wonder how would the Milwaukee Road appeare in our times today ...

Would we see refurbished or even a brand new gerneration of Joes pulling transcontinental freights powered by clean energie such as wind power?

But hey ... lets have a look I thought ... :)

Seeing this screens it is imaginable what a high potentioal has once been given up due to the terrible desission to end up Milwaukee Roads electrifigation!

Your's TUME

Hi Tume i love that idea but...

wind as for solar only powers very little power transmission powers more but now they mostly put any new projects underground as I am an expert on energy

and wind mills also kills birds and bats as well

hope that helps

Matthew

Last edited:
Its amazing to think how profitable MILW would have been if they kept there electrification in place during the oil crisis in the late 70s.

As far as I know, the Substation #13 at East Portal was equipped with 3 sets of motor-generators of 2MW each. That means East Portal had a capacity of 6MW.

The average nominal output of the onshore windpower systems newly installed in 2018 in Germany was 3.34 MW. So eventually two of such wind turbines would probably deliver enough energee to maintain a substation with a capacity of 6MW.
Considering that it is mostly quite windy ontop of mountain chains, I conclude that some (may be three perhaps four - just in case) wind turbines at that locations would deliver enough power for the electrics.
In addition to this a fall back connection to other power suplys would be kept of course.

Yes - the switch to diesel so shortly before the oil crisis was terrible. Ok - they may could not foresee the oil crisis. But the desission to put forward in favour of diesels was a result of several other mistakes. And these mistakes could have been recognized as such.

Hi Tume

cool route i think it will be a great idea if the milwaukee road will still be in operation and now be powered by wind to power trains aka joes

its tough seeing it abandoned and now a part of the line is now used as the soo line

Tume great job and keep up the great work (sorry for saying I'm a expert on energy i'm not a expert on energy) but it will be cool to make a route with wind mills

i am a HUGE fan of your route since i first bought trainz in 2011 and i always think the milwaukee road was a great route

best wishes Matthew

PS

Tume are you thinking of adding those windmills to your next milwaukee road release

Last edited:
Alberton-Avery progress towards Alberton, MT

Hello,
thank you all for your compliments!

At first: The route will be set up in the time at the end of the 60's. And there will be no wind power stations :)
I did the screens with the wind power station just because I which a wind powered MILW-RR would be true.

I have been asked which trainz version I will support. I did not decide that at the moment. Now the route is still in T:ANE. The change to TS19 would require new BPR Ground textures, which I already created. But also I would need to do track and bridge assets using BPR-textures as well - because it would look terrible to have non BPR-textured tracks at BPR Ground textures. About the tunnel portals it is the same. But to create BPR-textured assets, I still need to learn a lot about using blender and so on.
After taking over ther route from T:ANE into TS19 I would need to do several grass and environment work to add nice looking grass and rocks and other environmental stuff into the route like it is possible in TS19.

A fast possibility would be to release a pre-version of the route in T:ANE first, so people could already play with it. After that I could do all the work necessary to bring it over to TS19 - like descibed above. My aim then would be to release the TS19-Alberton-Avery-Route within the next version of trainz - if N3V-Games would agree.

But anyway, I need to get the route finished first - right? Then I will discuss release options with N3V-Games.

During the last days I could push the landscape decoration southside of Clark Fork River (along the BN-track) closer to Alberton, MT. Now we are just one big curve (about 3 Miles) away from Alberton, MT.

The screens indicates a BN westbound freight going from Sawmill Gulch through a big curve towards Cyr, MT.

Your's TUME

Last edited:
Progress screens 4 miles west of Alberton, MT

Hello, again come progress screens from my Milwaukee Road Alberton - Avery route.
The screens indicates a eastbound freight just some meters before it dives into tunnel #18, located about 4 miles west of Alberton, MT.
Inside the Alberton depot building some fresh, hot coffee is already waiting for the engineers and the caboose crew.

Your's TUME

2,5 miles to Alberton, MT

Hello,
tonight I could finish the rocky slope northside of Clark Fork River stretching from tunnel #18 about two miles towards Alberton, MT.

The last screen has been taken about 2,5 miles west of Alberton, MT.

Decorating this section was a lot harder as several forrests because of all the details which needed to be positioned at the right place to meet the simulation looking as close as possible like the real thing. So I had to switch between trainz and google maps quite a lot.

The two lane road is Interstate 90. At the end of the 60's and at the beginning of the 70's Interstate 90 used to be just a two lane road between Alberton and Henderson, MT.

Your's TUME

Last edited:
The Route looks very well detailed........You have much to be so proud of.,,,,,,,,,,,,:cool:

And I know from doing much smaller Mountains, when there as large as yours, and the area is so expanded, it takes a lot more time to do detail work, as well, it hard working on 45 Degree levels..........;)

Its getting closer ...

Hello, after the rocky slope, I spent the last days in modelling and decorating the Clark Fork River and the forrest along the BN (ex. NP) tracks at that portion of the route.

@blueodessey:
Thank you for your compliment :)

Your's TUME

Amazing job of plotting railroads on both sides of the river, as well as decorating all of that prototype landscape Tume!

Back