TUME’s Simulation of “The Milwaukee Road”

Thank you for your good wishes ... actually today is my 50th. Birthday. As we still needs to de careful because of the pandemic, I will spend this day alone at home.

My plan was to spend the day driving a streetcar for some houers, which would have been like a party for me too. Unfortunately in this week they thinned out the streetcar timetable due to school hollidays. Therefore they dont need any drivers like me - doing street car driving as asecond job.
Now I will probably do some trainz :)

But yes, to complete the Milwaukee Road all the way from Harlowton to Tacooma would be great. there are so much nice looking landscapes which would make really fun to decorate. But I would really need a long life to do so :)
Perhaps if the terrain only files could be done in a more accurate way. Most of the time building at the Avery-Drexel and at present at the Drexel-Alberton section, I needed to fix wrong formed terrain.

Just a MILW westbound about 2,4 miles west of Superior ...

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Your's TUME

"State of Progress Video"

And again a large piece of the Milwaukee Road Corridor is created in "Trainz: A New Era" ... and there is a "State of Progress Video" :)

Your's TUME

West-northwest of Superior, MT

Hello,
just some views taken west-northwest of Superior, MT.

A BN westbound freigt is crossing Southside Rd while a MILW estbound freight can be seen in the background.

A MILW eastbound freight goes along Clark Fork River and will soon pass Superior, MT. The BN westbound freight from the screen above can be seen in the background.

The same trains seen from another point of view.

The sun rises behind the mountain ranges at Superior, MT. This view has been taken from about 2.2 miles west-northwest of Superior, MT.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg,

The sun rises behind the mountain ranges at Superior, MT. This view has been taken from about 1.3 miles west-northwest of Superior, MT. Back that time the Interstate 90 has been completed between Tarkio und Superior, MT as a four lane motorway. In the middle ground you can see the "change-over lanes" from the completed Interstate 90 section towards the old Highway 10.

Your's TUME

Last edited:
Milwaukee Road Route "Alberton-Avery" - progress video

Another little portion of the Milwaukee Road Route "Alberton-Avery" has been completed and here is the latest progress video:

Your's TUME

"Alberton - Avery" progress video and screens

Hello,
my work at the Milwaukee Road route "Alberton - Avery" (Avery - Drexel route extension to Frenchtown, MT) continues and the progress reaches from Superior, MT moving wastward to St. Regis, MT which has been decorated about two or more years ago.

At the latest progress video you can whatch a MILW eastbound freight crossing under the Highway 10 bridge about 4,8 miles east of St. Regis, MT. This road bridge still is in place and in use while the MILW ROW lost its track at the beginning of the 80's. But noadays the Highway 10 lost its usage as the main road connecting regions since the Interstate 90 has been completed in the area as well.

Have fun watching the video.

The MILW eastbound freight goes under the Highway 10 bridge hwich can be seen in the background.

Looking west near St. Regis which is just about 5 to 6 Miles behind the right border of the screen shot. A MILW as well as a NP train goes eastward.

Your's TUME

Tank you for the compliment :)

Well, they had Boxcab-Helpers over there as well. Mostly the mid-train helpers where used between Avery, ID and Haugan, MT - for both westbound and eastbound trains.
And usually the eastbound trains continued from Haugan, MT toward Alberton without midtrain helpers. As well as westbound trains left Avery without helpers. During the last years of electrification sometimes diesels where used to provide midtrain help. Especially if the diesels needed to be transfered from the Coast Division to the Montana Division or further east, or in the opposite driection. In such a case the diesels where used as helpers all the way, but this was not quite often as far as I know.
So our fotagrapher near the Highway 10 bridge had a luckey moment capturing such a special train with diesel helpers :) :)

But the length of the trains came from another influence. The crew of such transcontinental trains was defined by the law. As far as I know, two drivers at the loco and two persons in the caboose where required. I dont know if this law also determined the crew numbers of local trains and so on. But as far as I know such long distance trains needed a crew of four. Therefore the RR's wanted to organize long trains to keep the personnel costs per tonn freight as low as possible.

Another piont was (and is) probably that a few long trains are better handable than a large number of shorter trains. But this has also something to do about the equipment of the route - like the number and the lengs of sidings and/or the the proportion of longer, double-track sections of the route as well as the number and the distace of signaled portions and so on :)

But anyway - I like long train as well :)

Photos and Videos are looking great.

Tank you for the compliment :)

Well, they had Boxcar-Helpers over there as well. Mostly the mid-train helpers where used between Avery, ID and Haugan, MT - for both westbound and eastbound trains.
And usually the eastbound trains continued from Haugan, MT toward Alberton without mid-train helpers. As well as westbound trains left Avery without helpers. During the last years of electrification sometimes diesels where used to provide mid-train help. Especially if the diesels needed to be transferred from the Coast Division to the Montana Division or further east, or in the opposite direction. In such a case the diesels where used as helpers all the way, but this was not quite often as far as I know.
So our photographer near the Highway 10 bridge had a lucky moment capturing such a special train with diesel helpers :) :)

But the length of the trains came from another influence. The crew of such transcontinental trains was defined by the law. As far as I know, two drivers at the loco and two persons in the caboose where required. I dont know if this law also determined the crew numbers of local trains and so on. But as far as I know such long distance trains needed a crew of four. Therefore the RR's wanted to organize long trains to keep the personnel costs per tonn freight as low as possible.

Another point was (and is) probably that a few long trains are better hand able than a large number of shorter trains. But this has also something to do about the equipment of the route - like the number and the lengths of sidings and/or the the proportion of longer, double-track sections of the route as well as the number and the distance of signaled portions and so on :)

But anyway - I like long train as well :)

Good morning Sir Tume,

Holly Macaroni that's a long train with in the middle DPU's helping push it up the Grade.. Awesome.........

Thank you for wonderful Routes and Creations you've made for us.....I never saw these type of Locomotives, it's really nice to have recreation of this Historical RR..........;)

They had some massive horsepower, and from what I see, it ran well......! :p

Cool Video and great news on your expansion.....

Wishing you good Health and Stay safe out there.......:wave:

Getting closer to St. Regis ...

Thank you everybody for your compliments!

Again a lot of square miles has been completed and the landscape decoration gets closer to St. Regis.
Here some screens from that area.

Your's TUME

Wow! Looks amazing. I love that you make MILW content. There isn't a lot of it out there. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
OK, you've got my mouth watering. I bought Trainz 10 just for Avery-Drexel and when going to T:ANE, A-D was what I bought with it. I do wish you would put in whistle posts for the crossings, except then I'd have to jerk out the ones in the sessions I've written...

:B~)

Closure of the undecorated gap at St. Regis ...

Years ago, I implemented all the needed splines (tracks, catenary, telegraph wires, roads and rivers) from Drexel via St. Regis, Superior and Alberton to Nine Mile. After that I needed to do a lot of terrain adjustment at the route. Unfortunately that required very much time and the progress was very slow. If you go some pages back some of the screens indicate the work at the terrain especially alongside the rivers. Such terrain work still has to be done from Nine Mile towards Frenchtown and from St. Regis to Quinns - unfortunately.
I carried out the first landscape decoration at the portion Drexel - St. Regis - also years ago. Back that time the decoration followed spline implementation and terrain adjustment very soon. But then I decided to do spline implementation and terrain adjustment at the main portion of the route first, to be able to do the final landscape decoration at once. The first big step of final landscape decoration has been done from Lozeau via Tarkio to Three Bridges along the MILW line at the north side of Clark Fork River Valley while the south side of the valley along the BN (ex NP) trackt remained undecorated. In the middle of December I started landscape decoration at Three Bridges and continued south side the valley along the BN tracks all the way to Lozeau - using my christmas vacation. From January to now I could finish landscape decoration along both RR lines (MILW and BN) all the way from Lozeau towards west via Superior to St. Regis, where I have now closed up to the decorated portion Drexel - St. Regis.

Your's TUME

Last edited:
there's not enough 100% seasonal routes in Trainz, and there's also not enough seasonal assets either

I wonder if there's a fast and easy way to make existing assets seasonal?

Tume, I wanted to share this with you. This is a promo for ScaleTrains new SDL39, featured on model railroader Bill Heiden Milwaukee Road Pacific Extension, which he models from Avery to Alberton, the same area and same era, late '70's, you're modeling in Trainz. The advantage he has over you is that he doesn't have to model miles and miles of track in his basement!

@ Forester1:
Thank you very much for your compliments.

@ jordon412:
Thank you for the link – it’s a very nice-looking model RR he has created. I plan a new H0-scale model RR as well. But still, it is all about planning track layouts :)

@ john2002:
As I began working at the Avery-Drexel route I really thought about creating it in a snowy winter appearance. But eventually I putted forward in favor of the ordinary summer route, which has been published within Trainz 2010 engineer’s edition.

But even Trainz 2010 changed things as it supported seasonal assets the very first time. Back that time season change was only maintained for the speed trees, ground textures and non-spline objects. Any track, road, river, catenary and telegraph assets still maintained only one season.

But N3V games announced that this will be implemented into the next release – and they kept that promise. Eventually I created my own substitutions for all of the assets I used from the DLS. Of course I created my assets in the new seasonal way. With the upcoming TS12 and its service patsches I could also change all my spline objects into seasonal assets. Eventually I reworked the entire Avery-Drexel route to support season change and the reworked route has been published within Trainz: A New Era – Deluxe. In addition to this I also published my side project route “Season Town” at Trainz: A New Era – Deluxe. This route I created because I wanted to build a quick seasonal route to show off the possibilities of the season change feature to the trainz users and I was in doubt that I would be able to get the Avery-Drexel route finished in a seasonal way until the deadline. I hoped I could bring other content creators to maintain season change with their own assets. Eventually I could finish both routes although at the last weeks I had some sleepless nights to get anything done :)

Today a lot of content creators are creating seasonal ground textures and/or speed trees. But as far as I know, there are only a few content creators creating seasonal object or spline-assets (Dinorius_Redundicus for example).

Well – the only way to put season change functionality onto an existing asset is to create a snowy looking reskin of it and to put all the needed files into the folder structure of a seasonal asset as required. Also, a new config.txt is required. But first you will need the permission of the original creator to do so. Unfortunately, many assets use the textures everywhere at its mesh and reskinning a roof texture turns even other parts of it into a white looking appearance where you don’t want it.
Due to that reason I only used this possibility just a very few times and I mostly created my own seasonal assets :)

Your's TUME

Last edited:
Hi Tume, I had a question regarding permission to release some reskins I made of your Olympian Hiawatha cars and erie builts a few months ago. I made the Union Pacific colored cars based on some footage from one of your videos, since you never released them. I was also working on some Union Pacific / Milwaukee road Erie builts, but I've put those on hold because of some kitbashing problems (I have been using Alpha Channels and custom meshes to change the parts and allow the skin to be changed where it normally couldn't) I also have skinned an LE&E set for a friend's fictional. Would I be able to get your permission to release these skins as freeware on a small site I am apart of? If you do give permission I already planned on putting credit to you and listen all the original assets used so people can find them. I do also planning on creating the rest of the schemes, along with remastering your original skins with higher resolution textures, but I thought I would go ahead and ask since I already have a set done. Thank you, spresley1515.
unknown.png

Last edited:
Back