SOO BOXCARS NEEDED

Well, I don't know Chris. WCL is hereby granted permission to claim it and upload it , but I think he wants a different model underneath the skin. I just got out of the hospital today, and I don't know if I'm going to be able to work on it soon, because I need my son's help.:(

Oh WOW....I didnt know ya were in there....I am sorry to hear.....I hope you do feel better soon......NOW GET WITH THAT BOXCAR!!!! LOL JK......

Take care :wave:

Re-Skining

I tried to contact Scott Monsma about re-skinning a DM&IR 70 ton orecar, into PRR paint scheme, but I haven't heard back from him. My question is: Can I post a screenshot of a re-skin of his asset on the Forum, without his permission...what if he never responds...can I post a screenshot.

The PRR lettering really looks great, and would do his creation great justice.

Sorry for the hi-jacking..."We now return you to your regularly schedualed program"...

Last edited:
Re-Skins

^Bump...See Above Post ^

I thought I'd get an answer from someone here, about re-skinng and posting screenshots... in this popular thread

PRR Ore Car

Calling Mr Scott Monsma: Can I paleeze re-skin your DM&IR ore Car ? And post screenshots in the forums ?
side-1-1.jpg
Image cropped to destroy copying ability.

Yes...I know this is the wrong thread...but THIS being a popular thread, that doesn't get burried...I posted my important guestion here.

My posts are always getting burried, immediately, by someone posting, Example: "Help I'm Totally Lost...Can't Turn On My PC".

Last edited:
Burried Posts

Yes...I know this is the wrong thread...but THIS being a popular thread, that doesn't get burried...I posted my important guestion here.

My posts are always getting burried, immediately, by someone posting, Example: "Help I'm Totally Lost...Can't Figure Out How To Turn On My PC".

Quote: Cascaderailroad: I tried to contact Scott Monsma about re-skinning a DM&IR 70 ton orecar, into PRR paint scheme, but I haven't heard back from him. My question is: Can I post a screenshot of a re-skin of his asset on the Forum, without his permission...what if he never responds...can I post a screenshot.
Why should copywrite infringement deter me from ONLY posting screenshots ?
The PRR lettering really looks great, and would do his creation great justice.
If I make screenshot of a SOO Line Boxcar, can I post the screenshot WITHOUT asking permission from the creator ?
Do you really think the FBI is going to arrest me for copywrite infringement & posting screenshots without asking permission ?

All I want to do is post screenshots of re-skins on the forum...I am not selling them....I would like to upload them to DLS for free...as the original creators stuff was also free on DLS. Of course I would ask permission from the creator before uploading the re-skin.

If I was GIVEN an HO Atlas DM&IR orecar for FREE as a gift from a friend, and I re-skinned it and posted screenshots on the internet...do you really think Atlas Tool Company is going to be able to sue me ? And even if I took that same free item and resold it for $9.99, do you really think the FBI is going to come and arrest me for copywrite infringement ?

I took a DLS item: "Concrete_Bank_Spline" and replaced the "concrete" image with a "stone ballast" image...now it is a "stone ballast" Bank Spline. Quite a usefull item for Trainzers...I would like to post screenshots to show the forum my work. Copywite be damned ! If I get complaints I'll remove the screenshot photo !

I am not selling or re-distributing an actual physical usable Trainz Asset, Locomotive, or Railcar !

Sorry for the hi-jacking..."We now return you to your regularly schedualed program"...

Last edited:
I wouldn't think it would be a problem to post a screenshot of something you altered with or without the author's permission, but others feel differently, and I don't know what the specific laws are.

WCL, and others: I found this nugget in May 09 Model Railroader Magazine, as a side article to "Diesel Era Grain Operations". I have copied it from the article titled "Moving Grain in Boxcars". It's no great leap to understand how the practice was also used for wood chips!

If you model the first half of the 20th century, your elevator tracks won't be filled with covered hoppers. Instead, strings of boxcars will be parked here waiting to be filled with grain.
To keep the grain inside the car, wood or paper grain doors (the latter first appeared in 1948)
were nailed inside the door opening. This was known as "coopering". About 3/4 of the opening
was covered.
Prior to loading the car, the sliding door opposite the loading chute was closed. Then an elevator employee would stand outside the car, directing the chute until the car was loaded. Since not all grains are alike (wheat and corn, for example, are heavier than oats), the boxcars had load lines marked on the inside so the car wouldn't be filled beyond it's load limit.
Though loading the boxcars was fairly easy, getting the grain out was difficult and time consuming. When the car arrived at it's destination, the doors were pushed in (paper doors were torn open) and the grain would spill out into a receiving pit. Some larger elevators, including one owned by the Great Northern Ry. in Superior, Wis., had car dumpers that tipped the cars sideways and end to end. However, these weren't 100% effective. In both cases, elevator employees would have to use shovels or vacuum systems to clean out any grain still in the car.
In the 1960s, railroads began using special grain-loading boxcars. These cars had conventional plug doors with hatches near the top for loading and inspecting grain. Though these cars didn't require coopering, they still had the same drawback (difficult to unload) as conventional boxcars.
Boxcars were regularly used in grain service through the 1970s. On the Burlington Northern and Chicago and North Western, box cars were used even into the 1980s on branchlines where 100-ton covered hoppers were restricted because of poor rail conditions. In Canada, 40-foot boxcars were used on branch lines in the prairie provinces until 1996. - Cody Grivno

Last edited:
Googled Ashland oredock and it came up with this news bit dated yes'day:

WEAU13 News said:
A pair of endangered peregrine falcons nesting within the chutes of a northern Wisconsin oredock has delayed its demolition. Wildlife biologist Todd Naas, with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, says the behavior of a 3-year-old male named Napoleon and an unbanded female suggest they are incubating eggs in the Ashland oredock.
if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('');if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']){ document.write(plpm['Mid-Story Ad']);} else { if(self['plurp'] && plurp['97']){} else {document.write(''); } }if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write(''); Naas says dock owner Canadian National and its contractors will have to wait up to 11 weeks before demolition.
A green band on Napoleon's leg shows he was born in 2006 in Silver Bay, Minn.
The birds were removed from the federal Endangered Species list in 1999, but are considered endangered in Wisconsin.

So apparently it's still there. :)

Do you still have a copy of these??

Would it be possible to do them on a better boxcar???

Is it just me or do the two boxcars in WCL's first picture share a truck on one end?

--edit-- Never mind, looking more closely at the picture I see the truck of the one car is just hiding in the shadows

I know from my model railroading research that boxcars were the ONLY way to haul grain from elevators to flour mills until the covered hopper came along. Those tearaway doors were enough to keep most of the grain inside and made unloading a little easier.

I have seen old photos of grain elevators where there was a large stack of those cardboard door stand-ins lying on the ground waiting for the next train.

In fact, just about every specialty car you see these days (Centerflow covered hoppers, autoracks, centerbeam flats, etc.) carry commodities that were once part of the versatile and ubiquitous boxcar's daily duties.

Post a "better boxcar" kuid, and I'll do them again if I can't find the original textures.

Back