Japan

morning from hokkaido
Screenshot_2024-01-26_204258.png

Some randoms of last months progress over various parts of the map. Progress is going slow. But still ongoing.

TRS19_2024_02_08_23_30_39_500 by pagroove, on Flickr
TRS19_2024_02_08_23_33_21_357 by pagroove, on Flickr
TRS19_2024_02_08_23_38_17_834 by pagroove, on Flickr
TRS19_2024_02_08_23_38_59_801 by pagroove, on Flickr
TRS19_2024_02_08_23_40_32_893 by pagroove, on Flickr
TRS19_2024_02_08_23_41_59_802 by pagroove, on Flickr
TRS19_2024_02_08_23_44_28_002 by pagroove, on Flickr
TRS19_2024_02_08_23_50_40_471 by pagroove, on Flickr
TRS19_2024_02_08_23_53_08_683 by pagroove, on Flickr

Hi gang: I'm in the process of upgrading the routes on my layout. Starting with the oldest of them the Azure Line. It will take a while with my new busy job schedule and all but I hope to have it done by the end of the year. Meantime good luck with your routes and projects.

A question about the
available as DLC. In the description it states:
This layout is inspired by the Okayama Prefecture, Japan. It is designed for busy train traffic, and features a great range of challenging sessions. There are also some display cabinets where you can put trains on for stationary display.
Does anyone know how close the inspiration is to the prototype? I'm beginning to work on my version of the Shinkansen route from Hiroshima to Okayama since I might be visiting that area in the future and so wanted to build something I will have experienced. While I'll have seen things from a passenger point of view, what the surrounding area of the area looks like could be a bit of a challenge. Google Earth only goes so far and not everything is visible from Street View.
I usually do my route building based on the Nederlands which I've visited many times and can easily fill-in the gaps. Not so with Japan.

A question about the

available as DLC. In the description it states:

Does anyone know how close the inspiration is to the prototype? I'm beginning to work on my version of the Shinkansen route from Hiroshima to Okayama since I might be visiting that area in the future and so wanted to build something I will have experienced. While I'll have seen things from a passenger point of view, what the surrounding area of the area looks like could be a bit of a challenge. Google Earth only goes so far and not everything is visible from Street View.
I usually do my route building based on the Nederlands which I've visited many times and can easily fill-in the gaps. Not so with Japan.
It is not prototypical. It is just a Japanese Model Railway layout (a nice one I don't mean to talk it down) but not very prototypical. If you want anything prototypical you could look at the route by TreinspotterJeffrey in Collab with AlexMaria post #6950. Although the page looks to be down currently. But that route started at Okayama and has at least the Okayama Shinkansen Station and Normal lines in place. But no scenery.

Real Japanese route building can be very challenging due to the sheer density of the cities and there isn't just enough content on the DLS itself if you are striving for that. Although it is getting better each day as Flomarie has made a LOT of content lately. But lots of buildings aren't available on the DLS much leading to external developers. That is fine and all but then you can't distribute the route on DLS.

Therefore I am sticking with my Icarus Shinkansen Route to a reasonable real route but try to still do it in bounds of DLS content. But that turned out to be VERY challenging and that's why my route now already takes 8 years or more to build. Hope that gives you an insight.

Edited to add I visited West-Japan in 2018 so I know at least a bit how the landscape looks.

Bonjour à tous, une map est très longue à faire, surtout si on est créateur ou reskinneur, car j'essaye de refaire (au mieux) ce que je vois dans les vidéos,

et ce n'est pas simple mais pour moi très constructif.

Pour moi ma priorité est le paysage étant architecte maquettiste, pour les trains je suis les objets déjà fait,:)

Je reste sur le Japon, bonne journée a tous.

Flormarie wrote (in English):
"
Hello everyone, a map takes a very long time to make, especially if you are a creator or a reskinner, because I try to redo (as best as possible) what I see in the videos,

and it is not simple but for me very constructive.

For me my priority is the landscape being a model architect, for the trains I am the objects already made, :)

I'm staying on Japan, have a good day everyone."

And he is right it takes a very long time. But for me too it is worth it. I like making Japan routes the most due to the incredible interesting mixture of trains and networks.

It is not prototypical. It is just a Japanese Model Railway layout (a nice one I don't mean to talk it down) but not very prototypical. If you want anything prototypical you could look at the route by TreinspotterJeffrey in Collab with AlexMaria post #6950. Although the page looks to be down currently. But that route started at Okayama and has at least the Okayama Shinkansen Station and Normal lines in place. But no scenery.
Tried to have a look but get this instead
404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.
Real Japanese route building can be very challenging due to the sheer density of the cities and there isn't just enough content on the DLS itself if you are striving for that. Although it is getting better each day as Flomarie has made a LOT of content lately. But lots of buildings aren't available on the DLS much leading to external developers. That is fine and all but then you can't distribute the route on DLS.

Therefore I am sticking with my Icarus Shinkansen Route to a reasonable real route but try to still do it in bounds of DLS content. But that turned out to be VERY challenging and that's why my route now already takes 8 years or more to build. Hope that gives you an insight.

Edited to add I visited West-Japan in 2018 so I know at least a bit how the landscape looks.
Thanks for the info anyway. I also noticed very few typical Japanese objects on the DLS. I suppose my route will need a lot of imagination to fill-in the blanks. Oh well, at the speed those trains move, most of the foreground will be one big blur so no great loss. Will have to take lots of pictures at the stations to help recreate the correct look and atmosphere.

Tried to have a look but get this instead
404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Thanks for the info anyway. I also noticed very few typical Japanese objects on the DLS. I suppose my route will need a lot of imagination to fill-in the blanks. Oh well, at the speed those trains move, most of the foreground will be one big blur so no great loss. Will have to take lots of pictures at the stations to help recreate the correct look and atmosphere.

Yes as I said the site seems off-line. Maybe AlexMaria can shine a light if the route is stil available.

As for your project you could take one of the following approaches.

Method. 1: Maybe do it in steps if you are going for the real distances. Then release each in between version an lengthen the route gradually.

Method2:

Another way to do it is shorten the distances and make an inspiration version of it like Densha de Go Shinkansen and Densha de GO Shinkansen EX did. In that version It is a shortened version of the real thing but still realistic. Here I found the departure from Okayama Station to Hiroshima: This is looking a bit like real life.

Last edited:
Back