Japan

Thanks for the reply, Alexmaria. You are right about the old locos. Both you mentioned are the troublesome ones. Keep going as your are. Those created consists are great. For the moment, I'm using older US models and running them as "international exchange" exhibits on Japanese routes. This seems to work quite well. I've even added the older passenger cars to the consist.

When I lived in Japan, I bought a model of the JNR EF-81 in 1/24 scale. Still have it on the wall in my computer room.

Bill

Last edited:
I've been really enjoying your Chuo Line shots! I used to ride that line every day. Is that a route you've created? Also, where did you get that E353? :D

Thanks! The picture with the E353 is the Nambu Branch Line, and yes the other one is my Chuo line. I might release it some day. The E353 is railsim converted, the original is from Skboh Factory. I still ride the Chuo line today, I live near Ogikubo station.

Taking advantage of the New 101 Series' base model, here's one more Seibu train: the 3000 Series!

Seibu-3000-Series.png

It's already avaible at my website.

By the early 1980s Seibu railway was still firmly anchored to a "traditional" rolling stock design concept, as with the exception of the chopper-controlled 2000 Series operating on the Shinjuku Line (wich had been made out of pure necessity), the most modern class of rolling stock operating on Seibu railway was the New 101 Series wich, depsite being still in production at the time, was nonetheless "born old" as it had the same basic conception of the older 101 Series from a decade earlier and even used copious design elements from older trains as well, all of this in a time when electric traction technology was quickly advancing. High energy consumption on the Ikebukuro Line was also an issue, and as the chopper-controlled 2000 Series trains already granting considerable energy savings on the Shinjuku Line (depsite their small number), Seibu railway finally decided to introduce an up-to-date new type of train on the Ikebukuro Line as well.

The new trains were intended to be used on all-stops local services on the Ikebukuro Line, with the company originally considering to introduce the 2000 Series "as it is" on the line as well; however, since the platforms at Ikebukuro station were already arranged (edge fences, track numbers, destination signs and other markings) for 3-door trains, Seibu railway decided to introduce yet another 3-door train.

Taking advantage of the underway planning for Ikebukuro Line trough-services with the TRTA Yurakucho Subway Line, Seibu Railway began designing the new Ikebukuro Line trains with trough-services in mind. The earliest plans called for a very advanced train, modelled after TRTA's 7000 Series, fetauring armature-chopper control, lightweight aluminum bodies and bolsterless bogeys. However, these plans were soon dropped, as Seibu Railway opted for a far more conservative design.
The new trains ended up being roughly New 101 Series conventional steel bodyshells and bogeys with the 2000 Series' traction control equipment.

Depsite not being the advanced trains originally intended to be in the initial design phases, the new trains weren't entirely an another batch of the New 101 Series, as they nonetheless still had several improvements and design changes. Most importantly the new trains were fitted with the 2000 Series' shunt-chopper control (wich, while being technically "inferior" to a full-chopper control was still superior than the New 101 Series' resistor control), granting considerable energy savings and smoother accellerations. Other modifications were also made, with the most evident difference with the New 101 Series being in the passenger windows' design and arrangement. Otherwise, the remaining equipment (such as the pantographs) was pretty standard among other Seibu trains.

Classified as the "3000 Series", the new trains were manufactured by Seibu Railway's Tokorozawa Works in collaboration with Tokyu Car Co. between 1983 and 1987 for a total of nine 8-car sets. Original plans called for a total of five 8-car formations (for a total of 40 cars) to be built entirely by Tokyu Car Co., however this was soon re-arranged to "give some work" to the Tokorozawa Works.

In the end, formations 3001, 3002 and 3005 were built entirely by Tokyu Car Co. and were completed as full 8-car sets in November 1983; the remaining six sets were built by Seibu's Tokorozawa Works and were built with four cars at a time due to manufacturing capacity constraints (two cab cars and two intermediate cars first and then, at a later time, the remaining four intermediate cars). Formations 3007 and 3008 were completed between July and October 1984 and between December 1984 and March 1985, formations 3011 and 3013 were completed between June and September 1985 and between December 1985 and March 1986, with the final two formations (3015 and 3017) being completed between June and September 1986 and between December 1986 and March 1987.*

The first, Tokyu-built, 3000 Series trains were sent into service immediately after their completion, commencing their regular services on the Ikebukuro Line directly in 1983. The 3000 Series was well recieved, with it's smooth running and energy savings, a considerable improvement over the New 101 Series. However, by the late 1980s, after the final 3000 Series formation had been delivered, passenger congestion on the Ikebukuro Line had became so unbearably high that introduction of a 4-door train couldn't be delayed any longer. After exceptionally good result of some testing with a 2000 Series on the Ikebukuro Line, Seibu Railway finally made the decision to introduce 4-door trains in 1988, with production of an improved version of the 2000 Series, the "New 2000 Series" being quickly started in the same year. The long-awaited four-door trains began services on the Ikebukuro Line in 1991, taking over the busiest rush-hour services from both the 3000 and New 101 Series. In the same year, the 4-door 6000 Series for Yurakucho Subway Line trough-services was also introduced in large numbers as well.

With the 3000 Series inadequate and obsolete 3-door arrangment, unsuitable for the heavy rush-hour loads, and the fast-paced introduction of 4-door trains, the 3000 Series quickly became a burden, being almost immediately relegated to off-peak services, with rush hour duties almost immediately taken over by 4-door rolling stock. Originally intended only for the Ikebukuro Line, starting from 1993 a few 3000 Series sets were moved to the Shinjuku Line to replace some of the older 101 Series sets.

At the time of their introduction, the 3000 Series trains were fitted with the then-standard Seibu Railway livery of canary yellow with a tan band around the passenger windows, like the New 101 Series from wich they derived. In 1999 this livery was simplified by getting rid of the tan window band, with the 3000 Series being returned into service in an all-over canary yellow livery (an identical livery modification was also made to the all the other trains that were fitted with it).

Starting from 2010, some of the 3000 Series sets began to be shortened at Yokose depot to 6-car sets by removing and scrapping two intermediate cars. The first two to be shortened were formation 3005 (in August 2010) and formation 3007 (in November). By the timetable change of the 22nd of December 2012, four 8-car sets (3001, 3003, 3011, 3013) were in service on the Ikebukuro Line and three 8-car sets (3009, 3015, 3017) and two 6-car sets (3005 and 3007) were in service on the Shinjuku Line, with the six-car sets being more commonly used on Kokubunji Line services. With the introduction of the 10-car, 4-door 30000 Series in 2013, Seibu Railway decided to completely replace the 3000 Series 8-car sets.
Formations 3001, 3003, 3013, 3015 and 3017 were removed from service in the same year. Withdrawals continued in the following year, with both six and eight car sets being removed from service. The last remaining 3000 Series trains, 8-car sets 3009 and 3011, were completely retired in late December 2014. All 3000 Series sets were scrapped between 2013 and 2014, with the exception of four cab cars from fromations 3007 and 3009 wich were purchased by Ohmi Railway and were converted into two 300 Series 2-car sets trains, re-entering service in 2019. Unfortunately, other than the two Ohmi Railway sets, no 3000 Series cars have been preserved.

* For the 3000 Series Seibu Railway has used a non-continuous formation numbering: the total nine formation built are numbered 3001, 3002, 3003, 3005, 3007, 3009, 3011, 3013, 3015 and 3017. Numbers 3004, 3006, 3008, 3010, 3012, 3014 and 3016 were skipped.

And here's the second and final part of the Seibu 3000 Series: Ohmi Railway's 300 Series!

Ohmi-Railway-300-Series.png

As with the Seibu 3000 Series, this one is as well already avaible on my website.

In 2014, Ohmi Railway purchased two withdrawn 3000 Series sets (formations 3007 and 3009, built in 1984) from it's parent company, Seibu Railway.
The two trains, formed as six-car sets arrived on the Ohmi Railway later that year and were stored on two stub tracks at Takamiya Station, the junction between the Main Line and the Taga Line, waiting for funds to become avaible for their conversion. Funding eventually came in the late 2010s, and in 2019 both sets were moved to Ohmi Railway's Hikone Depot, where conversion works could finally begin.

The two trains were shortened to two-car sets, with one originally non-powered cab car in each set being converted to a powered car by fitting pantographs, motored-bogeys and traction control equipment salvaged from the intermediate cars that the railway had also purchased. As the two trains had sat in the open for around five years until then, general bodyshell repairation and rust removal works were carried out. Furhtemore, since the Ohmi Railway operates without conductors, both trains had the necessary one-man operation equipment fitted; the destination indicators were changed to LED-type ones and finally, the two sets were adorned in a new light blue livery derived from the one already used by Ohmi Railway's five 100 Series trains (themselves former Seibu stock as well, being ex-New 101 Series trains purchased in 2013).

The two newly-converted trains were re-classified as "300 Series" set No.1 (ex-formation 3007) and No.2 (ex-formation 3009). Set No.1 is fitted in an all-over blue livery, while Set No.2 is fitted in the same livery but with the addition of a white line, much more similar to the 100 Series. After some delays, 300 Series Set No.1 began regular services on the 1st of August, followed by Set No.2 roughly one year later, on the 28th of July 2021.
As of today, both 300 Series sets are in regular service, being used interchangeably on all of Ohmi Railway's three lines.
As all other Seibu 3000 Series trains were scrapped between 2013 and 2014, the two Ohmi Railway 300 Series sets are the sole "survivors" of this ill-fated series.

The eight intermediate cars surplus from conversion works were scrapped by Ohmi Railway after having been stripped of anything that could remotely serve as a replacement component, including doors, seats, bogeys, air conditioners and other equipment, practically leaving only the bare metal bodyshell.

Trivia #1:
As of November 2021, Google Maps still shows the two purchased 6-car sets stored at Takamiya Station
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2368869,136.2594655,156a,35y,90h,39.47t/data=!3m1!1e3

Trivia #2:
The "300 Series" designation, normally used for the whole two-car set, actually refers only to the motored cab car. The non-motored cab car is officially classified as the 1300 Series. This follows Ohmi Railway's practice of "adding 1000" to an unit number to denote unpowered cars (for example, in a similar way the non-motored cab cars of the 100 Series are classified as the 1100 Series and the non-motored cab cars of the 700 Series are classified as the 1700 Series).

Trivia #3:
The 300 Series bears the distinction of being one of the very few chopper-controlled trains (having retained it's contol system after the conversion) in service for a rural local railway. The others are almost all former Tokyu trains, such as the Izukyu 8000 Series (ex-Tokyu 8000 Series), the Nagaden 8500 Series and the Chichibu Railway 7000 Series (ex-Tokyu 8500 Series trains), the Chichibu Railway 7500 and 7800 Series and the Toyama Chiho Railway 17480 Series (ex-Tokyu 8090/8590 Series trains).

@Alexmaria: I installed the JNR 203 series and the JNR East 203 series and both were missing dependencies of:

KUID:668654:100471, 100385, and 100409

Did I miss a CDP somewhere?

Bill

@Alexmaria: I installed the JNR 203 series and the JNR East 203 series and both were missing dependencies of:

KUID:668654:100471, 100385, and 100409

Did I miss a CDP somewhere?

Bill

They appear to be two missing enginesounds and one hornsound.

You can download them here.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll check the original package of the 203 Series, they should've been included in it.

Sorry. Can't download it. I keep getting "Improper redirect - Try again" no matter what I do. I can see the three CDPs, but the enclosing RAR isn't available.

Bill

Clicking the download arrow produces the error. Had to fire up Chrome instead of Firefox to get it. Firefox is set to allow any cookies it wants. I don't have any trouble downloading all the other RAR files, just this one.

I have it now. Thanks, Alexmaria.

Bill

I am back after a month pause from building activities. In fact I already did some building last week. In the other games I play I completed my goals. This weekend I did a realtime flight in Flightsimulator 2020 from Atlanta to Amsterdam. I flew the route in 08:13 minutes in an Airbus A330-900Neo. Pretty fast if you ask me. Probably due to high winds :). I love Flightsimulator 2020. It is so pretty so it is a good distraction from Trainz :).

Now I will continue the routes I am working on. :).

Digging through my closet, mostly filled with unfinished models, I ran across this one. It is still in the plastic bags. I bought it at a model store Hachinohe around 1971, so it's 50 years old (as you can tell by the yellow instructions).

phone70.jpg

Something to work on during long Winter afternoons.

If some kind soul could translate the colors (1-18), I would be very appreciative.

Bill

Last edited:
Digging through my closet, mostly filled with unfinished models, I ran across this one. It is still in the plastic bags. I bought it at a model store Hachinohe around 1971, so it's 50 years old (as you can tell by the yellow instructions).

(snipped for convenience)

Something to work on during long Winter afternoons.

If some kind soul could translate the colors (1-18), I would be very appreciative.

Bill

I apologize for my very poor Japanese skill (which means that I had to ask help to Google Translate), but AFAIK these technical terms could be translated into the following terms:

1. 運転席 = driver's seat
2. 仕切板 = separator wall between driver cab and machine room
3. 送風器 = blower for supplying fresh air into machine room
4. 元空気ダメ = main air tank for air brake
5. 電動空気圧縮機 = electrically-powered air compressor
6. 主抵抗器 = main resistor
7. 下単位スイッチ = lower unit switch (?)
8. 接触器 = contactor
9. 開放器 = release switch
10. 分流抵抗器 = shunt resistor (?)
11. 逆転器 = reverser
12. セレン整流器 = selenium rectifier
13. 吐出弁 = discharge valve
14. 積算電力計用分流器 = wattmeter shunt device (?)
15. 高圧補助回路シャ断器 = secondary hi-voltage circuit breaker (actually it could be written as 高圧補助回路遮断器, but the "遮" character is replaced with "シャ" to ease the need for reading difficult characters)
16. 積算電力計 = wattmeter (?)
17. 積算電力計用倍率器 = wattmeter multiplier device (?)
18. 電動発電機 = motor generator

Those having "(?)" mark indicates that the translated terms could be false (yeah, my Japanese language is very poor). :(

=================

FYI: the EF60-91 pictured in that brochure is one of 4th batch EF60 locomotives built with main design slightly altered to resemble the EF80 locomotives. In fact, this design was later applied to the EF65 (the definitive successor of EF60) with some alterations.

Regards,

Arya.

Thank you so much, Arya. I tried using my OCR scanning software, but it choked and couldn't translate anything at all. Then I tried drawing the characters into Google Translate, but that was a disaster. :eek:

Now I can refer to your list and paint the item as I think it should be.

Bill

連絡先がココしか思い当たらないので失礼します。

Hirochiさんへ
こんにちは。お久しぶりです。まだココを見られているでしょうか? zio(rossolabo)です。
私はTRAINZを再開してリージョンのアセットを作っていたのですが、道路を自動車が走ってくれませんでした。調べてみるとHirochiさんの自動車のアセットなのですが道路を走らせるためには現状のBuild2.9からBuild3.3以上に変更しなければならないようです。
変更は簡単でconfig.txtのtrainz-buildを3.3にして
height-range -10,50
trackside 0.01
を追加するだけなのですが、この作業をやっていただけませんでしょうか? JCARは132個あるので大変なのは承知しておりますが宜しくお願い申し上げます。もしお手伝い出来ることがありましたらやりますのでご連絡ください。それでは。

zioさんへ

ご無沙汰です、私はgmaxに限界を感じて他のソフトに移行するか思案中です。
連絡いただいた件 了解しました、取り敢えず数個を作業してみます。

もし 私のyahoo のアドレスを覚えておられましたらそちらにご連絡くいただければと思います。

お返事ありがとうございます(^^)/ 古いPCを起動してアドレスを探してみましたがありませんでしたので、後でここのダイレクトメールかメッセージの方に連絡させてもらいます。自動車の件もお試しいただけるとのことでありがとうございます。

私はもうGMAXは無くしてしまいましたのでBlenderを導入しましたが悪戦苦闘中です(^_^;) TRS2019からモデルデータがIMからFBXに変わったのでもう3DSMAXかBlenderのどちらかを選ばざるを得ないですね。keimeiさんが使っていた頃は英語版だけでしたが今は標準で日本語対応してますし、Blenderも良いのではないかなと思います。ただGMAXに慣れているのでしたら3DSMAXインディー版(年間4万円)もありかと。
https://area.autodesk.jp/product/maya-3ds-max-indie/

それでは後程。皆様スレ汚し失礼いたしましたm(_ _)m

Hello.

新しい日本の線路が利用可能です。
New japanese railroad tracks are available.

1637465757.jpg

・TRS2006の頃から比べるとTRS2019は明るくなっているので明るさを抑えました。
・11は01と02に殆ど差がなかったため暗くしました。
・TRS2019のマップに対応しており、線路の上面が光を反射します。
・砕石の幅が広くなりました。
・線路だけの16を作りました。

・Compared to the time of TRS2006, TRS2019 is brighter, so I suppressed the brightness.
・11 was darkened because there was almost no difference between 01 and 02.
・It corresponds to the map of TRS2019, and the upper surface of the track reflects light.
・The width of the crushed stone has increased.
・ I made 16 only for the railroad track.

Thanks.

Back