Japan

Hey Guys, I've been wondering is there a good EF81 out there available for trainz?

As of now, the only EF81 model avaible is the old and outdated Auran-made default one of TRS2006 and earlier, wich simply doesn't hold up to modern stuff.

I am actually planning to make a comprehensive "JNR Standard electric locomotives" pack (wich would indeed include the EF81 and many others) after the DE10s, so we'll see in the future.

@ AlexMaria

While looking on Google Maps I noticed a railway that I never heard of. Jomo Electric Railway. Which runs from Nishi Kiryu to Chuomaebashi in Maebashi in Gunma Prefecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csKHJgkpdgc&t=19s

There are almost none videos on Youtube about it. I found 2. But they seem to run quite a nice fleet of older trains. I thought to bring this under your attention maybe for future modeling. They seem to run some olde Keio material.

AlexMaria,

When I install the DE10 package each of the locos is faulty due to an invalid engine spec. The config.txt identifies <kuid:668654:100956> as the engine spec however, on my system Content Manager identifies <kuid:668654:100956> as Tokyo 8590 Series - Oimachi Line (no logos) - [T]. Any suggestions for a replacement engine spec.

Respectfully,
Shaun

After a decent amount of work, the first DE10 pack, made in collaboration with TreinspotterJeffrey, is complete!

DE10pack.png

Top row, from left to right: JNR livery (cold and warm region versions), Generic JR-Group livery (cold and warm region versions), JR Freight standard livery (cold and warm region versions).
Bottom row, from left to right: JR Freight blue livery (cold and warm region versions), JR Freight livery "wide white line" version (DE10 1073), JR Freight "shunting" livery, JR Freight EF67-style livery (DE10 1049), JR Freight "Kansai Logistics" livery (DE10 1082).

Unlike with other packs, I have decided to "dilute" the relase of the DE10 into several smaller packs. This is the first one, the "JNR, Generic-JR and JR Freight" pack. Next one will be the "JR Joyful and tourist trains" pack and then the "industrial railways and other second-hand buyers of the DE10" pack. After the DE10 i plan to make the DE11, then the DE15 and finally the DD16, each with it's own pack.

The pack is already avaible here, and will soon be on my website as well. The dependencies are roughly the same as the ones in my DD54 and are either included in the pack or are avaible on the DLS.

Now, what would eventually became the DE10 was concieved in the early 1960s, with the JNR being looking for a replacement for steam locomotives on lines that did not allow for high axle loads. The yet-unnamed locomotive was intended to act as a "road-swithcer" type of locomotive (in short, a heavy shunting locomotive being able to run mainline duties as well, both freight and passenger).

The concept for the new locomotive was based on the one of the already-in-service and well-proven DD13, wich however suffered from some shortfalls; namely the high axle load (14 tons / axle) and the fact that it was lacking a passenger carriage heating boiler, wich made the DD13s a strictly freight-only locomotive.

The first serious designing and research for a new "road-swithcer" locomotive began in 1962, when the first DD51s entered service. The main "diktat" for the designers was to have as much components and equipment in common with the DD51s as possible, as a matter of containing both manufacturing and maintainance costs. Specifically, the new locomotives were set to use the same engine, the V12, DML61-type.

Two prototypes with a B-B wheel arrangment, classified DD20-1 and DD20-2 were put in service in 1963 and 1965 respectively; these were a "squashed-up", half-the-lenght version of a DD51. DD20-1 had a unique "full-back" cab with only the "long hood" (an arrangment similar to the DD14 diesel locomotives, but with "front" and "rear" reversed), while DD20-2 had a more conventional off-centered cab with both a "long" and "short hood".
Both DD20s however started to suffer from several design flaws, wich caused among other things, a strong tendency for wheelslip. Furthemore, their axle load was still too high for JNR's needs: 13,5t per axle, a mere 500kg less than the DD13s.

In 1966, the DD20 project was extensively rewiewed and modified, with one fundamental change being made: to finally address the axle load problem, given that the locomotive couldn't have been made lighter, JNR's designers made the audacious and unusual choice to add another axle to the front bogey, resulting in a locomotive with the very unusual "C-B" wheel arrangment. The choice was "audacious" as asymmetrical wheel arrangments are generally frowned upon by railway designers as they may have a tendency for unstability and uneven "directional performance" (e.g. "works well in one direction but not as well in the other").

However, thanks to a carefully-tought internal weight distribution, instability problems were resolved beforehand, and with the extra axle avabile, the axle load of the new locomotives was finally brought under 13 tons (the objective of JNR), even if "by themselves" the new locomotives were even heavier than DD13s (65t vs 56t).

On the new locomotives, now classified as "DE10", the long hood housed the engine, a DM61ZA-type derived from the DD51's ones, the radiator and other heavy equipment, while the short hood housed the oil-fired steam boiler for passenger coach heating.
Both bogeys were powered, with transmission being made via a torque converter with two speed settings, a "low" one with a maximium speed of 45Km/h for shunting duties and a "high" one with a maximium speed of 85Km/h for mainline duties.

As the DE10s were designed primarily for shunting work, the driving desk was unusually placed parallel to the tracks, rather than perpendicular, allowing the driver to see from both heads of the locomotive while remaining seated at the same place (a disposition similar to the one used on most american road switchers at the time, such as the EMD GP9 or the SD-40).

Production of the DE10s started in 1966, with the new locomotives being manufactured by Nippon Sharyo, Kisha Seizo, Hitachi and Kawasaki Heavy Industries, and ended in 1978, twelve years later, with a staggering total of 708 units having been manufactured. Two fundamental versions of the DE10 were manufactured: the standard "warm region" version for services in the Kanto, Chubu, Kansai, Kyushu and Shikoku areas, and a "cold region" verison equipped with distinctive circular "clear-wiew" screens (derived from Merchant Marine practice) for services in Hokkaido, Tohoku, Niigata and Hokuriku areas.

Furthemore, the DE10s were divided in several subseries: the -0 subseries (158 units) was formed of "standard" units with passenger car heating equipment, the 74 units in the -500 subseries had their heating boiler removed and replaced by a concrete ballats to even-out the weight, the -900 subseries was a single unit that was weighted down even more (and would form the basis for the DE11 built from 1968 onwards), the 210 units in the -1000 subseries used an improved bogey and motor design (while keeping the heating boiler) while the -1500 subseries was essentially the same as the -1000 subseries but without the heating boiler (again, weighted down by a concrete ballast). Finally, the -3000 and -3500 subserieses came to be in 2009 when JR Freight bought 14 surplus DE15s from JR East and converted them back to DE10 standards.

During JNR service, thanks to their versatility, DE10s hauled almost any type of non-multiple-unit train, from light to medium freight services on both branchlines and mainlines to regional passenger trains (usually formed of 50 Series coaches), marshalling yard shunting, maintainance work and empty stock hauling, being a common sight on almost all non-electrified railway lines in Japan, from Hokkaido to Kyushu.

Owning to their success, DE10s spawned several derivatives, such as the DE11 heavy diesel-shunters (derived from the DE10-901 prototype) built between 1968 and 1979, the DE15 locomotives designed for snowplough service built between 1967 and 1981, the DD16 B-B small shunting locomotives (a shortened and lightened version of the DE10 for lines with the even lower 12t axle load) built between 1971 and 1975, and finally, the DE50 prototype from 1970, basically a DE10 "on steroids" for heavy mainline services, wich however proved unuccessful and (unlike the other three derivatives) did not see mass production.

When JNR was privatized in 1987, all seven "successors" JR-Group companies inherited some DE10s: JR Hokkaido got 23 units, JR East got 68 units, JR Central got 13 units, JR West got 49 units, JR Shikoku got 37 units (and among those, the DE10-1 to 4 pre-production units), JR Kyushu got 19 units and JR Freight got 151 units, for a total of 361 DE10s inherited by the JR Group.

The remaining others were acquired by the "JNR Settlement Corporation" (JNRSC), an interim company tasked to phisically split JNR into the six JR companies, reassing line and stock ownership and sell off surplus stuff in an attempt to quell the soaring JNR debt. Part of the locomotives owned by the JNRSC was bought by several third-sector and industrial railways, but most remained without a buyer and were subsequently scrapped or sold as spare-parts donors.
The massive surplus of almost 400 DE10s was caused mainly by the abandonment of most marhsalling yards, where the locomotives were used on shunting duties, in favour of the relentless "containerisation" of railway freight services, wich did not require such yards.

[continues in the following post]

AlexMaria,

When I install the DE10 package each of the locos is faulty due to an invalid engine spec. The config.txt identifies <kuid:668654:100956> as the engine spec however, on my system Content Manager identifies <kuid:668654:100956> as Tokyo 8590 Series - Oimachi Line (no logos) - [T]. Any suggestions for a replacement engine spec.

Respectfully,
Shaun

Try doing these steps:

- Clone the "Tokyu 8590 Series Oimachi Line (no logos) - [T]" car, so that trainz gives it another kuid number
- Delete the original version
- Re-install the DE10 enginespec

Now it should work fine, but the consist for the Oimachi Line 8590 Series will become faulty and unusable.

I'll do the same thing on my trainz as well, then i'll re-package the 8590 Series so that this kuid conflict will be solved for everyone.

@ AlexMaria

While looking on Google Maps I noticed a railway that I never heard of. Jomo Electric Railway. Which runs from Nishi Kiryu to Chuomaebashi in Maebashi in Gunma Prefecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csKHJgkpdgc&t=19s

There are almost none videos on Youtube about it. I found 2. But they seem to run quite a nice fleet of older trains. I thought to bring this under your attention maybe for future modeling. They seem to run some olde Keio material.

Indeed the bulk of the fleet is made of ex-Keio Inokashira Line 3000 Series trains, wich were bought by Jomo Railway in 1998, re-formed into 2-car sets and re-classified as the "700 Series". Each of the eight 700 Series sets has the front painted in a different color.

The railway also retains a DeHa 100 electric railcar dating from 1928, wich is used for special services or to haul maintainance trains formed of two HoKi hopper cars - the only freight cars the company owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbWSLjnFGwM&ab_channel=丸窓電車

Before buying the ex-Keio trains, the Jomo Electric Railway briefly used ex-Tobu stock, wich makes sense since the comapny is a full-fledged subsidiary of Tobu Railway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsS8gnbswMc&ab_channel=azumatakeshi

Finally, here's a (rainy) cab ride of the whole line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnySqBfg3pc&ab_channel=(ほぼ)ひたすら前面展望!~OleOleSaggyの乗り物動画~

Now, modelling-wise, i'd always wanted to do the Keio 3000 Series as i do really like it, and also because it has a huge number of possible variations, as each train on the Inokashira Line had it's unique livery, plus the 3000 Series is a "best-seller" among third-sector local railways, so a lot of different possible livieries here too.

(straight from memory, the companies that bought ex-Keio 3000 Series trains are: Iyo Railway, Jomo Electric Railway, Hokuriku Railway, Gakunan Railway and Alpico Kotsu. Choshi Railway considered them too but then opted for an ex-Iyo Railway 700 Series, itself an ex-Keio 5000 Series train).

Unfortunately, one thing that has prevented me from goind down the 3000 Series rabbit hole is the front, wich appears to be quite complex...

...but honestly, looking at it closely, not even too much...

hmmmm....

...you know, actually, if i had a technical drawing or a blueprint it might be quite easy to pull off.

Well, time to search thru the interwebz!

Indeed the bulk of the fleet is made of ex-Keio Inokashira Line 3000 Series trains said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbWSLjnFGwM&ab_channel=%E4%B8%B8%E7%AA%93%E9%9B%BB%E8%BB%8A[/URL]

Before buying the ex-Keio trains, the Jomo Electric Railway briefly used ex-Tobu stock, wich makes sense since the comapny is a full-fledged subsidiary of Tobu Railway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsS8gnbswMc&ab_channel=azumatakeshi

Finally, here's a (rainy) cab ride of the whole line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnySqBfg3pc&ab_channel=(ほぼ)ひたすら前面展望!~OleOleSaggyの乗り物動画~

Now, modelling-wise, i'd always wanted to do the Keio 3000 Series as i do really like it, and also because it has a huge number of possible variations, as each train on the Inokashira Line had it's unique livery, plus the 3000 Series is a "best-seller" among third-sector local railways, so a lot of different possible livieries here too.

(straight from memory, the companies that bought ex-Keio 3000 Series trains are: Iyo Railway, Jomo Electric Railway, Hokuriku Railway, Gakunan Railway and Alpico Kotsu. Choshi Railway considered them too but then opted for an ex-Iyo Railway 700 Series, itself an ex-Keio 5000 Series train).

Unfortunately, one thing that has prevented me from goind down the 3000 Series rabbit hole is the front, wich appears to be quite complex...

...but honestly, looking at it closely, not even too much...

hmmmm....

...you know, actually, if i had a technical drawing or a blueprint it might be quite easy to pull off.

Well, time to search thru the interwebz!

Thnks for the links and info. You found more videos than me and a nice line run. This line looks like a do-able candidate for a real world route as it is mostly rural. And I do like the trains. That 1928 one too. That one is like a driving museum.

That's what I find so interesting about Japan. There so many lines to explore. :D Edited to add. DE 10 Screenshot appreciation post incoming. I drove with it yesterday you guys did a fabulous job on the DE10. An ideal shunter.

Last edited:
I'm debating either to update my Route or not. I will be switching the old NG42 with the winter track from the NZR track pack from Trainzone. If I do decide to try again with the winterizing the route, I would have to do some modified versions of Hirochi's Nippon bridge's & Track w Catenary and Auran's bridges & tunnels used in the TRS2004 builtin Winter in the Alps using Sirgibby's NZR track pack. I have fun running the DE10 on TS12. Same with the EF210.

Here are a few pictures from me too:

JR Freight / Kansai Logistics DE10 on a shunting move, hauling half-a-train of containers...

de10-1.png

...and a JNR 113 Series in the red "Kasuga Livery" for Kansai Main Line services sprinting out from an unidentified station in Osaka, heading towards Nara...

(with a DD54 lurking in the background)

kasuga-red.png

@ Jdriver and AlexMaria nice pics.
@ Jdriver. You are putting the route to good use. Wil extend those lines further in the next building snapshot.

A few screenshots from the Icarus Shinkansen v1.5.
Thanks @pagroove for this wonderful route!

Thank you and welcome!

Very nice screenshots. Glad you are enjoying the route.

Question: The green tanker cars. Are they on the DLS? What is the name of those cars?
Very nice.

@AlexMaria @Jdriver @jbzhang Verry nice pictures all!

@pagroove They're called TAKI1000. You can find them on DLS by searching "NG42 JRF Tanker ENEOS Taki1000". This is the 1067mm version by b9k9kiwi and the original is made by Kenichiro i believe. They're included in the Chiyoda Branch Line with standard track gauge.

A very WIP shot of HANYO Station. The normal line sections are not built yet in this version

50859245413_23de1d4a60_h.jpg
[/URL]

Hanyo Station South Approach WIP
by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hanto Station 8 platform Shinkansen. I have made some sort of open platform barriers:

50860056392_1896668482_h.jpg
[/URL]

Hanyo Station WIP overview

Hanyo Station 8 platform Shinkansen. I have made some sort of open platform barriers:

50859245248_14fb7e93ae_h.jpg
[/URL]

200H @ Hanyo Station

Last shot of Today. Driving from Hanyo Station to Shin Hanyo. With Mount Hanyo and Hanyo city in the background. This section is max 170 km/u due to the short distance (about 5/6 km) between the stations. On the right I reseved space for the future Colden Shinkanse connection. At this moment I review the options to rebuild the approach to Shin Hanyo Colden Shinkansen Station with the Hanyo connection in minds.

50859245178_cf4049c291_h.jpg
[/URL]

200 H set crossing Hanyo North River

That's it for today. Hope you like it . And I hope a description of my working method may help you to build your routes a tad more quickly :).

You cannot download anything from the shinkansen 100 series, because when I try to unzip it, I find that it has an unknown format or that it is damaged. Could you fix it?

You cannot download anything from the shinkansen 100 series, because when I try to unzip it, I find that it has an unknown format or that it is damaged. Could you fix it?

I have checked and it doesn't give me any error.

Maybe try using WinRAR, as the 100 Series (like all of my content) is packed as a .rar file.

---

Also, i'd like to inform you all that, like the last month, due to real-life interferences, i am forced to temporarily halt working on the DE10/DE11/DE15/DD16 pack for about a week. In the meantime i'll do "lighter" works, continuing with the refurbishment of Keimei's older trains...

and continuing from where i left last month, here's another Keihan train: the Keishin Line 800 Series!

Keihan-800-Series.png

It is already avaible both here and on my website here.

The 800 Series is with all due probability Keihan Railway's most famous train, easily overshadowing the 8000 Series limited express and the 5000 Series commuter train.

The rather interesting story of this train began in the late 1970s, when Kyoto City was already drawing up plans for a second east-west subway line (the first subway line, the north-south Karasuma Line, was nearing completion and would open shortly after in 1981).

One of the most pressing issues with planners at the was the Keihan Keishin Line, especially the western "inner-urban" section between Keishin-Sanjo and Yamashima stations, where the trains had to run "tramway-style" on the increasingly busy Sanjo road, sharing the right-of-way with cars, busses and trucks. Furthemore, that very section of the Keishin Line, having evolved from an interurban tramway, permitted a maximium train lenght of only two cars and with the majority of stops being street-level boarding ones, the swiftness and capacity of the line were severily limited.

In the end, an agreement was reached between the Keihan Railway, wich was looking for ways to increase the line's capacity, and the Kyoto City government, wich would've rather preferred to close the Keishin Line altogheter (or the Sanjo-Yamashina section at the very least): the plans for the Tozai Line were modified to allow for inter-running with the Keishin Line.

However, the new plans became the source of several technical challenges: while connecting the Tozai Subway Line and the Keishin Line was relatively easy (as the two lines shared the same 1435mm standard track gauge - only the voltage of the Keishin Line had to be increased from 600v to 1500v DC to match the one of the subway), the trough-running service pattern required that the trains had to be able to be a Subway train with platform boarding, high accelleration and several doors per side, a mountain train capable of ascending and descending steep slopes safely but quickly and a tramcar able to navigate trough automobile traffic on the last remaining street-running sections, all three at once.

Ultimately, Keihan Railway's designers were able to successfully combined all three "souls" into a single train, the result being the 800 Series. With their 16.5m car lenght, among the shortest for "regular" commuter trains, the 800 Series resembled a scaled-down version of the 7200 Series in use on Keihan Main Line services (the former's bodyshell design was indeed based on the latter) and packed a lot of technical advancments for Keihan Railway, being the first to adopt a single-arm pantograph, LED destination indicators and an IGBT-VVVF inverter control, manufactured by Toyo Denki, wich allowed for a reasonable (given the planned services) maximium speed of 75Km/h and a maximium accelleration of about 1ms2.

For subway running, the 800 Series is equipped with both ATC and ATO, allowing semi-automatic operation (almost a requirement in the case of the Tozai Line, as it is wholly equipped with full-height platform screen doors). For the "mountain railway" section between Yamashina and Kamisakemachi, with slopes up to 61 permil, the 800 Series was designed as a fully-motored train (each bogey has a motor) and also saw the brief, exceptional, return of cast-iron clasp brakes, wich had been rended nearly extinct by the introduction of the disc brake, as the engineers felt that the former was more suited for continuous slope-descending braking or generally, safer against a possible runaway.

Finally, for the last remaining street-running section, between Kamisakaemachi and the terminus of Biwako-Hamaotsu, the 800 Series was equipped with warning lights mounted on the underside of the carbody. Furthemore, as an added saftey precaution against possible crashes with cars, the entire bodyshell of the 800 Series is made out of heavy steel instead of the more lighter alluminium.

Built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, the full fleet of eight 4-car sets entered service on the 12 October 1997, on the day that the voltage of the Keishin Line was raised to 1500v (and the 600v-only 80 Series retired).

While the Tozai Line services were run one-man operated since the opening of the line itself, the Keishin Line retained conductors for a few more years until 2002, when both the Keishin Line and the Ishiyama-Sakamoto Line (the two togheter make up the "Otsu Lines" network) were converted to one-man operation as well.

Originally, the 800 Series trains were fitted with a white and light-blue livery (wich represented the clear waters of lake Biwa) with a thin yellow line (the traditional "Kayasu" yellow wich also represented the Keishin Line), but starting in 2017, Keihan Railway decided to repaint the "Otsu Lines" network's trains in the company's new "standard" livery of dark green and white. The first 800 Series set repainted with the new livery re-entered service on the 7th of August 2017, and ton the 10th of November 2020, the last set was repainted as well.

As of now, all eight 800 series sets are still in operation, running between Biwako-Hamaotsu on the Keishin Line and Uzumasa-Tenjingawa on the Tozai Subway Line. While technically possible, the 800 Series trains may also be able to "take the place" of a Kyoto Subway 50 Series and run to the opposite end of the Tozai Line as well (Rokujizo Station), but this has never happened. Furthemore, the 800 Series can not travel on the Ishiyama-Sakamoto Line due to it's more stringent loading gauge.

Being quite a one-off, higly-specialized train type, Keihan Railway has absolutely no plans to replace the 800 Series, meaning that these unique trains will continue their equally unique journey, shtutling between Kyoto and Lake Biwa for the forseeable future.

Trivia#1:

Due to the extensive usage of new technologies and the highly specialized equipment, the 800 Series has been dubbed the "costilest train per square meter in Japan": each 16,5m-long 800 Series car costs 200 million yen (or five milion yen per square meter), wich is even more than the Shinkansen 500 Series, wich costed 300 milion yen per each 25m-long car (however, the Shinkansen 500 Series still remains the overall most expensive train in Japan, due to the far larger number of cars built compared to the Keihan 800 Series).

Trivia#2:

Evry year in October, services on the Keishin Line suddently become more nerve-racking for drivers than they already are, as Otsu city hosts it's festival, with a procession of towering traditional Hikiyama chariots touring the city, among other things, passing along the Keishin Line street running section. During the festival, Keihan Railway dispatches experienced drivers from the Main Line to assist and to act as "look-outs" forr their Keishin Line colleagues, and also has several "ground" workers on standby to make sure that the chariots and the crowds do not pose an hazard to the trains (and vice versa), and most importantly, to make sure that nothing or nobody comes into contact with the 1500v catenary, wich is actually very likely, as the chariots are almost as high as the trains' pantographs.

Here's a video by youtube user toppo jiyo on the matter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRVt-03H0U&ab_channel=toppojijyo

Last edited:
So I tried the same thing that Pagroove did at Hanyo Station with the platform barriers
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

It kinda works but it depends on how long the train is

@AlexMaria @Jdriver @jbzhang Verry nice pictures all!

@pagroove They're called TAKI1000. You can find them on DLS by searching "NG42 JRF Tanker ENEOS Taki1000". This is the 1067mm version by b9k9kiwi and the original is made by Kenichiro i believe. They're included in the Chiyoda Branch Line with standard track gauge.

Thank you. Will search for those tanker cars.

Back