Japan

[continues from preceeding post]

Depsite it's unluky history and inglorious end, very recently, the 03 Series began to be popular on the second-hand rolling stock market, something unusual for ex-subway stock.

Not even before the retirement of the 03 Series from Hibiya Line services, the Kumamoto Electric Railway in Kyushu already set forth to acquire two 2-car sets to replace it's sole 200 Series set and to supplement the increasingly tired 6000 Series (wich are ex-Toei Mita Line 6000 Series from 1968).

A first 2-car set was bought on the 30th of July 2018 and was shipped to Kumamoto on the 15th of March 2019, entering in service on the following 4th of April. On the 13th of February 2020 the second set arrived too, entering in service on the 27th of April.

The two trains were heavily modified, notably, two single-arm pantographs had to be retrofitted on the roof of one of the two cars in each set and both trains had to be adapted for one-man operation. Depsite all the modifications, the trains keep both the "03 Series" designation and the Hibiya Line livery from their Tokyo Metro days. Furthemore, Kumaden decided to keep all the in-car advertisements as they were in Tokyo.
As of today, both 03 Series sets are in operation on both lines of the Kumamoto Electric Railway; the railway actually has plans to buy yet another 2-car set from Tokyo Metro, bringing the total to three 03 Series sets.

The second, and most interesting of the company buying withdrawn 03 Series cars was the Nagano Electric Railway, wich currently has plans to introduce a total of five 3-car sets of ex-03 Series trains to replace it's 3500 Series fleet, wich interestingly enough, are the ex-TRTA 3000 Series trains that had been already replaced by the 03 Series when they ran on the Hibiya Line!

Re-classified as the "3000 Series", these were also adapted to one-man operation, and kept the Hibiya Line livery too, except for the front portion, wich has been painted red. The first set quietly entered in service on the 30th of May 2020, with the "official" entry-into-service ceremony being held one month later, on the 30th of June.

Finally, the third, and least expected railway to buy 03 Series trains is the Hokuriku Railway, wich plans to buy five 2-car sets to replace its 8000 Series (ex-Keio Inokashira Line 3000 Series trains from 1962) on the Asanogawa Line by 2023.

After undergoing a conversion work nearly identical to the one made on the Kumaden trains at a JR West workshop (one notable difference being that the pantographs fitted were of the older scissor type, taken from intermediate 03 Series cars, instead of the more modern single-arm type), the first of Hokuriku Railway's new trains, wich will keep the "03 Series" classification, arrived on the railway's tracks on the 11th of January 2020, and after being re-liveried (the Hibiya Line gray of side band was changed to the strong orange color of Hokuriku Railway), the first set entered regular service on the 21st of December.

Tokyo Metro still has plenty of 03 Series trains in storage, meaning that there's still the chance of a third-sector railway taking an interest in these humble, but reliable trains.

Trivia#1

Only 10 months passed between TRTA's decision to anticipate the introduction of new stock on the Hibiya Line and the entry in regular service of the 03 Series. Quite a feat, considering that all of the designing, construction of the first set, testing and training had to be done within less than a year.

Trivia#2

With the retirement of the 200 Series (wich was ex-Nankai stock), nowdays Kumaden operates only ex-Tokyo Subway trains, from both Toei and Tokyo Metro.

Trivia#3

Currently, there are rumors about Hokuriku Railway considering to buy ex-Marunouchi Line 02 Series trains for use on it's Ishikawa Line, wich is electrified at 600V DC (unlike the Asanogawa Line, wich runs at 1500V DC).

Model Trivia#1

Personal opinion: my best model (yet).

Model Trivia#2

The choice of a 03 Series as this year's last model isn't casual, in fact, last year's last model was it's predecessor: the TRTA 3000 Series!

The last 03 Series set was taken out of service on the 28th of February 2020, without any of the fanfare or last run "ceremonies" commonplace with all the other retiring stock.

Specifically, this was done to avoid (according to a Tokyo Metro press relase) "the repeating of the inconvenience caused by railway enthusiasts during the farewell run of the 6000 Series".
(apparently, two years earlier, a group of "hardcore tetsus" were recorded chanting "Long Live the glorious TRTA! Down with the Metro!" onboard the retiring 6000 Series, and apparently, Tokyo Metro didn't took it too well...)

Regarding this problem, many of normal tetsus commented in Twitter that they feel ashamed due to those annoying "extreme hardcores" that angered Tokyo Metro when they "raided" the farewell run of 6000 series. Unfortunately, this situation was also happened with the Yamanote Line E231-500, where the last one (ToU 506, currently running in Chuo-Sobu Line as MiTsu A506) had to be retired without any farewell run ceremonies from JR East due to similar incidents. I had to say that those "extreme hardcores" became one of the main reason (excluding "that pandemic") for why most of railway companies in Japan decided to not performing large scale farewell runs, as well as tightening safety policies intended for preventing more riots inside stations or alongside railway lines caused by "extreme hardcores".

Kimetsu no Yaiba paint

Tanjirou Zenitsu Nezuko

kimetsu-no-yaiba-1.jpg

kimetsu-no-yaiba-2.jpg

kimetsu-noyaiba-3.jpg

みなさん、明けましておめでとうございます

:)

Or Happy new year to everyone.

Nice pics (nice pics from my route too thans for that) and new trains from AlexMaria and good to see drop you by with nice trains Hirochi :D.
very nice Yamanote Line pics Reborn.

Hello and Happy New Year everyone! Its been a while since last time I was online in November or October. :wave:
Very Well Done with you're 100 Maria! But I do have one issue with this.
It says in Content Manager that: "This asset requires a shadow mesh, but the mesh table does not contain one."

Well, the "shadow mesh" is a separate mesh that older versions of trainz used to caluclate and render the shadow of the train. With the new post-T:ANE versions, apparently, the shadow mesh is no longer a requirement as trainz now is able to calculate and render the shadow of the train using the main mesh as a starting point.

Regarding this problem, many of normal tetsus commented in Twitter that they feel ashamed due to those annoying "extreme hardcores" that angered Tokyo Metro when they "raided" the farewell run of 6000 series. Unfortunately, this situation was also happened with the Yamanote Line E231-500, where the last one (ToU 506, currently running in Chuo-Sobu Line as MiTsu A506) had to be retired without any farewell run ceremonies from JR East due to similar incidents. I had to say that those "extreme hardcores" became one of the main reason (excluding "that pandemic") for why most of railway companies in Japan decided to not performing large scale farewell runs, as well as tightening safety policies intended for preventing more riots inside stations or alongside railway lines caused by "extreme hardcores".

Interesting, i didn't know that the E231-500 Series made such a "silent" end too...

Kimetsu no Yaiba paint
Tanjirou Zenitsu Nezuko

Welcome back Hirochi! Really nice reskins! Are those the Kintetsu 23000 Series trains?

Tokyo Station And Hamamatsucho Station On Yamanote Line

Stunning screenshots reborn1928! Is that the fabled ex-JTrainz "Yamanote Line 2.0" or is it an entirely new build?

On my side, here are some plans for 2021:

You might be already well familiar with my famous "list of possible models and reskins". For the following year, i'd like to make a bit of refinement to the way i choose wich models to make.

The list you know well will now become the "list of possible requests to be made", meaning that if on the list there's a model you'd like to see in trainz, you can request it freely to me. For other trains not included in the list, please enquiry via PM, but mind that i might decline if i find the request too complex or if i'm busy doing another model or with real-life things.

Looking at my website, i'm happy that there's already a lot of content from many different railways, especially for JR East, JR West and Tokyu, wich has practically a complete fleet. Other companies instead are terribly and embarassingly underrepresented, such as the very important Kansai area majory private railways (and major private railways in general too...) or even JR Kyushu and JR Hokkaido.

Furthemore, for the last year, i've concentrated maybe excessively on commuter trains and the like, so for this year, i'd like to take an in-depth look at limited express trains too.

So, out of the models on the list, i've made a selection of some more "appetible" trains to be made this year:

( "R"= Reskin pack, "+V"= 3D model pack plus additional lookalike variants)

2021-plansjpg.jpg

Bold is stuff done and avaible.

1) JNR/JR East/JR West/JR Kyushu 485 Series (both the original "bonnet-style" and more recent "flat-style" fronts). Reskin pack to be made out of Kenichiro's trains updated by Hirochi and modified by Rizky_Adiputra.
Including the 481, 483, 485 and 489 Serieses in liveries such as the Asama, Azusa, Midori, Huis-Ten-Bosch etc.

2) KiHa 58 Pack - JNR, JR East, JR West, JR Central, JR Kyushu, JR Shikoku... You name it! Evry livery goes!

3) One of my long-time desires for trainz: a complete 211, 213, 719, 415-1500 and JR Shikoku 6000 Series pack for trainz, something that i'll definitely make as soon as i get this book.

4) There's a serious lack of electric locomotives, and this is something that has to be adressed, as besides the tremendously outdated auran EF81, almost-impossible-to-find Kenichiro EF66 and Kurotrick's superb EF65s, there isn't anything other.
This would be a comprehensive pack of the "standard" japanese electric locomotives, in all kinds and shapes: EF81, ED76, ED79, EF64, EF65, EF63, EF62, EF70, EF71... All made using something of a "modular construction system".

5) See point 1

6) 185 Series, for Odoriko, Relay Shinkansen and other services. Another train i'd like to make, this time as soon as i get the N-gauge model of it!

7) JR Kyushu trains. As said earlier, there's a serious lack of Kyushu stuff for trainz. I was thinking about making the 813 Series as pictured, but this doesn't rule out that we might see the 811, 817 or 303 Serieses too! (God forbid, maybe even the ugliness-in-person 815 Series...)

8) Something i'm already working on with TreinspotterJeffery: DE10, DE11 and DD16 diesel shunters, for any of your shunting needs in freight yards and container depots. Industrial and third-sector variants coming too!

9) Seibu 101 Series, to add something more to my "seibu" page. Also, a lot of additional variants for third-sector and local railways!

10) Tobu 20000 Series. In keeping with the Hibiya Line "streak", i might attempt my favourite Tobu train as well.

11) Sotetsu 5000, 5200 and 7000 Serieses. Might not be "champions in beauty", but these quirky trains might be very interesting to be sees in trainz. (also, they're hella easy to make).

12) Keisei 3700. Again, serious lack of Keisei stuff is the main reason why i'm considering to make the 3700 Series. Of course, additional variants for the 3400 Series, the Hokuso 7300 and the Chiba Newtown Railway 9800 Serieses as well. And maybe some other Keisei trains too (3600 Series, 3000 Series....)

13) TRTA 5000 Series. The Tozai line 5000 Series has beena already extensively covered by other modellers, but i'd like to give it a go too. (Also the TRTA page on my website embarassingly has the "Tozai Line" entry without any proper Tozai Line train...)

14) Toei 10-000. The Toei Shinjuku Line is actually one of my favourite subway lines, so i'll have to give the 10-000 Series a go. Also, i'm pondering about making something from Keio railway as well (6000 or 7000 Series or both).

15) Toei 6000 Series. Again, already well covered by other modellers, but i'd like to give it a go to properly make all the variants of these trains.

16) Sendai Subway 1000 Series. One of my favourite subway trains, it's fairly easy to make and has an interesting story.

17) Hanshin. I've my sights already set on making a good "refurbishment" work of Keimei's older Hanshin content (1000, 9300 Serieses etc).

18) Kintetsu local train pack. In all due honesty, i knew very little of Kinetsu until very recently, and it has now skyrocketed towards the top of my "favourite major private railways" list. Comprehensive and massive pack that would include the entirety of Kintetsu's red-and-cream local trains (with the exception of the 3200 Series). <- then i actually ended up making only the 3200 Series.

19) Hankyu. One of Japan's most famous railway is among the most unrepresented into trainz. I plan to make a refurbishment of Keimei's 2300 and 2800 Serieses, but i also plan to make some new trains as well, such as the 8000 Series in the picture.

20) Kintetsu 7000 and 7020 Serieses. Interesting trains running on an interesting line, what's not to like? Also, they'll complement nicely the fleet of Osaka Subway trains already avaible on my website.

21) Kitakyu 8000 Series. Same thing as the Kintetsu 7000 Series, but with the added bonus of being one of my top favourite Japanese trains.

22) Osaka Subway new 20 Series pack, something that i've wanted to do since pubblishing the 30 Series pack on June of two years ago. Again, complements nicely the rest of my Osaka Subway models.

23) Kobe Subway 1000 Series. Not any particular reason to include it, except that it is my favourite Japanese train. Hands down.

24) Kyoto Subway 10 Series. Interesting-looking subway trains from Kyoto, again, among my favourite trains (but far below the Kobe Subway 1000 Series).

Other plans include some technicalities: my objective for this year is to learn how to make working doors! Route building might as well be a possibilitiy, but as of now it's still a bit too far-fetched.

So, what would you like to see for this year?

Last edited:
Nice plans!

I'm still waiting for the Odakyu 2000 Series for the sake of MSTS Nostalgia, but not sure when a good 7000 LSE model can be made. I'm not sure why Microsoft and Kuju chose to model the Odakyū Odawara Line instead of one of the more popular commuter lines (e.g. Yamanote) or even a Shinkansen line, but still ingrained in my head even though I'm more nostalgic for that game's other built-in routes that aren't Japanese.

Nice plans!

I'm still waiting for the Odakyu 2000 Series for the sake of MSTS Nostalgia, but not sure when a good 7000 LSE model can be made. I'm not sure why Microsoft and Kuju chose to model the Odakyū Odawara Line instead of one of the more popular commuter lines (e.g. Yamanote) or even a Shinkansen line, but still ingrained in my head even though I'm more nostalgic for that game's other built-in routes that aren't Japanese.

If i recall it right, the Odakyu Odawara Line was choosen to be in MSTS (or rather, outweighted other routes) because at the time, the Microsoft Japan head offices were located in the Odakyu Southern Tower building, wich is located directly above the Odakyu-Shinjuku station (the terminus of the Odawara Line). Furthemore, as the name says, the building itself was owned by Odakyu Railway, and with Microsoft Japan halready having a close relationship with Odakyu, the choice of the Odawara Line came out as a natural one.

I personally think that the Odakyu Odawara Line was a great choice, as it allows a rather diverse fleet of rolling stock and services to be operated on just one single route, wich isn't a trascurable thing in simulators. Routes like the Yamanote Line might be iconic and interesting, but you don't have any variety of rolling stock or services (all trains stop at all stations), wich in the long run, might even make the route itself boring. Furthemore, for urban routes such as the Yamanote Line, the surroundings remains exactly the same: urban landscape.

The Odawara Line (as depicted in the game) instead starts at Shinjuku, in the busy city center, cuts trough endless suburbs and then trough the countryside of Kanagawa prefecture, and finally terminates at Hakone-Yumoto station, inbetween mountains.

So, what would you like to see for this year?

Very interesting and good plans

- As I commented earlier. The Tsukuba Express would be fab. One of the more 'high speed' metro's in Japan

- Also (we are already spoilt on the Shinkansen front) the missing E3 Shinkansen. In the past I commissioned this train to Trainz (Payed commission), and/or requested it to other builders and it never came to a release. But I feel it is almost the most important missing shinkansen type as it often drives coupled with an E2.

- Would be nice if we could have an AGT system. When I was in 2018 in Japan I went with the Nippori-Toneri Liner. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nippori-Toneri_Liner

Video by Ramalac (also very recommended walking channel if you love Japan):

Having such a train and infrastructure would add a new dimension to Trainz.

- Also earlier mentioned the Thunderbird LTD Express (one of my favourites due to the 2 different cabcars and the Cylonesque 80'a look) would be fantastic. Also this was one of the fastest LTD Expresses until the Hokuriku Shinkansen began running. This was the LTD express with a top speed of 160 km/h on some sections. I now have read that the speed is reduced to 130 km/h.

- Monorail :).

Last edited:
Plans for 2021

My Japan Fantasy routes:

Icarus 2.0. Route:

I plan to finish the Icarus Shinkansen 2.0. to a 100% status. Now that I've dumped 12 TRS in the history bin (still installed on the HD for reskin purposes etc). I already can build faster. The current status of the route is that it already is expanded South of Shin Hanyo station. My private version now includes Hanyo Station. I want to expand the Icarus Shinkansen V2.0. map also to the South and West. To the new edge of the Icarus 2.0. map in Oga. Also I probably want to expand the 2.0. more to the east so that the whole city of Kitabiko and Icaruco Regions can be included. But I sort of want to finish the current baseboards to 100% status.

I want to get back in 3D design to include custom buildings. I already included some custom Sketchup Made Buildings like for example my APA Hotel (with are actually quite low poly for a Sketchup one). I want to take a good look why I can't have Night Textures on these buildings. Once solved I plan on releasing lots of fairly simple Japan Buildings. But I find that they need Night Textures as there is a lot of light and neon in Japanese cities.

Introducing building 'snapshots

I plan on sharing the status of the route via so called 'Building snapshots'. This will be the most current version of the route shared monthly or bi-monthly via Google Drive or Wetransfer as long as this 2.0. section of the route is in building. This will be public betas but not on the DLS. However I want to share my work more in the future.

Icarus Gulf South

This will be a continuation of the Icarus Shinkansen 2.0. and the missing link between my route and the S.I.R.L by Railshuttle. The goal is to make one MEGAmap which connects all my maps in one big map (Electro Island, Icarus 2.0., Icarus Gulf South and SIRL)

On the included map the SIRL extends to the city of 'Brookville'. From there the SIRL maps extends about 190 km to the South. The Icarus Gulf South map would extend to Oga in the North and extends to the west to Honsato and to the South to the SIRL Border at BrookVille.

In the far far future the Icarus Gulf West Map would be created here (over 10 years lol :hehe: ).

ASO island map
On the map you see the little volcanic island of Aso (there is a real volcano called Mt. Aso in Japan). My version will be a sea based volcano Island. This map will be little. But as it is about 20 km North of Electro Island and 20KM West of East Icaru I feel I have to make this little map. If YOU want to do it then also please Reply. I could make the Geography and then some one could build a nice private railway on the island.

50788113823_e1f93ab3fe_b.jpg
[/URL]Icarusgulf
by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

Japan Real Routes

IF (
and this is a big IF) time permits I will try to get into serious editing with one of the routes that Rizky Shared and that is the Tokkaido Shinkansen. That is unless nobody is working on it. I want to have at least a DLS friendly version of the Tokkaido of the portion of the route. For example Tokyo to Atami. But this project would be more of a hobby/side thing. And if anybody else is working seriously on this route then please mention it in this forum. Because more persons working on one route is a bit of a wasted effort.

Last edited:
4) There's a serious lack of electric locomotives, and this is something that has to be adressed, as besides the tremendously outdated auran EF81, almost-impossible-to-find Kenichiro EF66 and Kurotrick's superb EF65s, there isn't anything other.
This would be a comprehensive pack of the "standard" japanese electric locomotives, in all kinds and shapes: EF81, ED76, ED79, EF64, EF65, EF63, EF62, EF70, EF71... All made using something of a "modular construction system".

Thinking about "JNR-type electric locomotives", I would recommend you to start from the EF62 and EF63, as both of them were "the star of Usui Pass" (EF62 itself was designed specifically for hauling trains over the whole length of Shin'etsu Line that includes the Usui Pass section from Yokokawa to Karuizawa, whereas the EF63 locomotives were built as helper locomotive specially for Usui Pass section of Shin'etsu Line*)

============

*the last 2 units (EF63-24 and EF63-25) were ironically built as replacement for EF63-5 and EF63-9 that destroyed in runaway accident at Usui Pass, which means that in reality only 23 units were operable as of 1985 (prior to retirement of EF63-1 and EF63-14 from service in 1986 due to becoming surplus units)

@Pagroove Those are some good plans for this year.
@AlexMaria Ohhh the Keisei 3700 and Sōtetsu 7000 Series? I love those trains. Even if the Sōtetsu 7000 Series was replaced by the new 200000 Series, it does look good in the new logo. And the Keisei 3700 Series is a train I remember driving in Train Simulator for the Playstation 2. I have loved the engine sound when I started accelerating and decelerating. So I am looking forward for to drive that train again after a long time. And for the Osaka Metro, I thinking of using that one an American Subway system for Trainz:hehe:

pagroove want me to give up the yamanote route but there are still work stages at the tabata, osaki, shinagawa and takana gateway stations that I haven't finished

No take your time. It was just an open question. No hurry. And very nice pics @reborn1928 :). I just asked if this is something which you would consider to release as there are currently no Yamanote routes of such a high quality.

I'd like to see the Kishigawa Line recreated, all the way to the end of the line at Kishi with it's Cat-themed station with either Tama or Nitama in it, with the trains playing The Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever" when arriving or departing Kishi Station. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kishigawa_Line

Interesting idea. I'm sure it would be popular with a lot of people!

Very interesting and good plans
- As I commented earlier. The Tsukuba Express would be fab. One of the more 'high speed' metro's in Japan

- Also (we are already spoilt on the Shinkansen front) the missing E3 Shinkansen. In the past I commissioned this train to Trainz (Payed commission), and/or requested it to other builders and it never came to a release. But I feel it is almost the most important missing shinkansen type as it often drives coupled with an E2.

Good points. The Tsukuba Express might make a very interesting route as well. (if only the trains weren't so complex to make! :'()

- Would be nice if we could have an AGT system.

Having such a train and infrastructure would add a new dimension to Trainz.

And among the things i'm planning, indeed there's a good "AGT" pack, comprehensive of infrastructure!

- Also earlier mentioned the Thunderbird LTD Express (one of my favourites due to the 2 different cabcars and the Cylonesque 80'a look) would be fantastic. Also this was one of the fastest LTD Expresses until the Hokuriku Shinkansen began running. This was the LTD express with a top speed of 160 km/h on some sections. I now have read that the speed is reduced to 130 km/h.

Again, good point! The 681 and 683 Series might be very interesting to have in trainz. Indeed, they were allowed to run at 160Km/h on the Hokuetsu Hokuhoku Line until 2015, when the top speed was lowered to 130Km/h.

- Monorail :).

I'm indeed also planning a reskin pack of Hirochi's Tokyo Monorail 1000 Series, and maybe even to make something from the Osaka Monorail or the Tama-Toshi Monorail.

Thinking about "JNR-type electric locomotives", I would recommend you to start from the EF62 and EF63, as both of them were "the star of Usui Pass" (EF62 itself was designed specifically for hauling trains over the whole length of Shin'etsu Line that includes the Usui Pass section from Yokokawa to Karuizawa, whereas the EF63 locomotives were built as helper locomotive specially for Usui Pass section of Shin'etsu Line*)

Good point. I already have all the technical drawings needed for the EF63 and EF62s, so it wouldn't be a problem to start from there. Also they'll complement nicely the Asama 189 Series reskins i'm also planning to make.
Now, if only someone could make an Usui Pass route...

@Pagroove Those are some good plans for this year.
@AlexMaria Ohhh the Keisei 3700 and Sōtetsu 7000 Series? I love those trains. Even if the Sōtetsu 7000 Series was replaced by the new 200000 Series, it does look good in the new logo. And the Keisei 3700 Series is a train I remember driving in Train Simulator for the Playstation 2. I have loved the engine sound when I started accelerating and decelerating. So I am looking forward for to drive that train again after a long time. And for the Osaka Metro, I thinking of using that one an American Subway system for Trainz:hehe:

Thanks! Good to hear!

pagroove want me to give up the yamanote route but there are still work stages at the tabata, osaki, shinagawa and takana gateway stations that I haven't finished

Well, i don't think it would be much of a problem. Being an under-construction route, that's something to be expected, but i agree with Pagroove; there's an absolute lack of real-scale Japanese routes, so even a provisional relase of an under-construction one will do. Of course, once it's finally complete, you may relase the finished version as well.

Good point. I already have all the technical drawings needed for the EF63 and EF62s, so it wouldn't be a problem to start from there. Also they'll complement nicely the Asama 189 Series reskins i'm also planning to make.
Now, if only someone could make an Usui Pass route...

I'm sure that it would became a very challenging route, as the real ones had 66.7 permil gradient (equivalent to 6.67%) for its steepest gradient on the whole section from Yokokawa to Karuizawa.

Back