Japan

Dear Japan forum members,

Merry Xmass for all. @ AlexMaria wow! (just checked in so still shocked in a positive way. She's a beauty (the 100 series))

Guys and galls this year has been a difficult one for most of us. The Trainz forum provided a nice refuge in these dark times. I want to thank you ALL and wish you a very nice Christmas and a 2021 in which things will get better. Although not all has been bad. Working from home proved to be more relaxing at some times than I thought beforehand. But you miss seeing people so in 2021 it would be nice to return at least for one or two days to the office.

In the Japan forum it was a productive year. So I thank you all for your nice pics, discussions, video's content etc. May we build this community further in 2021 :).

Merry christmas from Italy evryone!

As i mentioned yesterday, i have a present for you all - it's something that many desired for a long time and i'm sure it will make even more happy: the 100 Series Shinkansen!

Shinkansen100pack.png

JNR/JR Central/JR West blue livery on the left and the JR West lime green and dark grey livery for San'yo Shinkansen Kodama services on the right.

First of all, a Disclaimer: the cab car units of this pack might appear very similar to a Sketchup 3D model made by Satojii458, and avaible on the Sketchup warehouse. This is because i used Satojii458's model as reference for the nose shape and for other details. I did not convert directly his model into trainz. I did try to contact him a while ago to ask for permission to do a conversion, but as i got no reply, i've decided to go the longer but safer way. The models do indeed look similar, but there are several differences; for example, the nose cone is slightly shorter in my model. Furthemore, all of the intermediate cars are 100% my work.
Again, (in case the model's author reads this thread) i did not convert directly his model into trainz. I used his model only as a reference for the mesaurments and the complex shapes.

If Satojii458 has any issues with this current pack, he can contact me anytime and i will comply with any of his requests.

With that out of the way, all four versions are already avaible on my website.

Here for the JNR version, here for the JR Central version, here for the JR West blue-white livery and here for the JR West dark grey and lime green Kodama services livery.

In case of missing dependencies for the Kodama lime green livery sets, download this.

So, the 100 Series was the last Shinkansen train designed by JNR, entering service in 1985. They were intended to replace the 2nd batch of 0 Series sets, wich were manufactured in the mid-1970s (the 1st batch of 0 Series sets had already been replaced by the last batch of 0 Series sets, wich had been manufactured until 1986), and had begun to show clear signs of premature metal fatigue, caused by the continuos pressure changes when entering and exiting the many tunnels on the San'yo and especially the Tokaido Shinkansen.

Originally, JNR had intended to continue the production of 0 Series sets, with the introduction of yet another improved batch (having produced, and still manufacturing 0s for 20 straight years at the time), but as rolling stock technology had considerably improved over the last 20 years, JNR finally settled for an entirely new design, to be introduced on both the San'yo and Tokaido Shinkansen.

Classified 100 Series, the new Shinkansen trains were conceptually based on the lastest-batch 0 Series, but incorporated several technical fetaures from the much more advanced 200 Series for the Tohoku Shinkansen, wich had been introduced just a few years earlier, in 1982.

However, the most striking change was made in the exterior design: as by the early 1980s the 0 Series was no longer the image of the "world's fastest train", having been replaced by the striking orange of the French TGV PSE; JNR attempted to win that "image" back with the 100 Series by designing a slightly sharper nose with more-modern-looking horizontal headlights. These were permanently "white", but had an translucent red filter that was electrically lowered "curtain-style" to change the headlights color from white to red, making them taillights.

Another notable fetaure of the 100 Series was the introduction of two double decker cars in the middle of the consist- the first for a Shinkansen train: one was a panoramic buffet car and the other was a reserved-seating "Green Car".
Besides the standard blue-and-white livery, the two bilevel cars fetaured a sylized red "NS" ("New Shinkansen") logo on their sides; this was later removed upon the privatization of JNR.

Last, but not least, the 100 Series saw a brief return to the wide passenger windows, instead of the tiny aereoplane-like ones used on later-batch 0 Series sets to combat metal fatigue. As we know, after the 100 Series all Tokaido and San'yo Shinkansen trains went back to the small windows, starting with the 300 Series in 1992.

The iconic look of the 0 Series was kept, but updated in almost evry single aspect.

The design was finalized in 1984, and in the same year, produtction of the fist prototype set, formation X-1, began. The set was completd in early 1985 and began a series of trial runs on the Tokaido Shinkansen starting from the 27th of March of the same year. 100 Series regular revenue services began on the 1st of October 1985, when the X-1 prototype started running some Hikari services.

Full production sets eventually entered service starting from the 13th of June 1986. Like the prototype sets, these were manufactured by a consortium made of Hitachi, Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Kinki Sharyo, Nippon Sharyo and Tokyu Car Corporation, the créme de la créme of Japanese rolling stock manufacturers.

The full-production sets initially entered service without the double-decker cars; classified as G-formations and assigned to Tokaido Shinkansen Kodama services, they recieved the two double decker cars in November 1986 and were reclassified as X-formations and reassigned to faster Hikari services.
Eventually, by the time JNR was privatized in 1987, a total of seven plus one 16-car sets had been manufactured, with subsequent orders for the 100 Series being placed by the successors of JNR: JR Central and JR West.

JR Central was first, ordering a further 50 sets, classified as G-Formations. These were nearly identical to the X-formations, but without the buffet car, wich was replaced by another double-deck green car. JR West followed suit, ordering nine 16-car sets, classified as V-Formations for use on special "Grand Hikari" services. Nearly identical to JR Central's G-formations, JR West's Grand Hikari had 4 double-deck green cars instead of only two.

By 1992, when production of the 100 Series ended, a total of sixty-six 16-car 100 Series sets were in service, divided between JR Central (for Tokaido Shinkansen services) and JR West (for San'yo Shinkansen services).

While fast, comfortable and reliable, the 100 Series was well obsolete even before it entered service: in true JNR style (wich favoured well-proven solutions over innovative ones) the technical equipment, especially the electric one, was changed very little from the one of the original 0 Series sets of 1964.

Therefore, both JR Central and JR West started to jointly design an entirely new Shinkansen train, ditching as much former JNR influence as possible. The result of this design effort became the 300 Series, wich entered service in 1992, the same year that 100 Series production stopped.

The 300 Series was a radical departure from the JNR-designed Shinkansens, with it's energy-saving GTO-VVVF inverter control and the curved wedge front profile, replacing the aereoplane-like round one of older types. Entering service on Nozomi and Hikari serviceson both the San'yo and Tokaido Shinkansen, the 300 Series gradually displaced the 100 Series to slower Kodama services, replacing the lastest-batch 0 Series, wich were completely retired from Tokaido Shinkansen duties in 1999.

Eventually, with the introduction of the 700 Series in 1997, JR Central decided to finally replace all remaining 100 Series sets in service on the Tokaido Shinkansen. Set G49 was the last 100 Series set in service on the Tokaido Shinkansen, being retired on the 16th of December 2003.

[continues in following post]
Nice train! Will download it later.

by the way, can you make the E3 Series Shinkansen? (including the pre series set, toreiyu tsubasa and genbei shinkansen)

Last edited:
Merry Christmas indeed!! :) Thanks AlexMaria!! Feels like the missing link in the Bullet train family. As soon as I get a Shinkansen route set up on my layout I'll give this bad boy a spin!!

Shinkansen Action on the Colden Shinkansen at Shin Hanyo
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

And a little FLY, I am making chimes for both the Colden and Icarus Shinkansen lines. Both in car and station chimes if anyone is interested. I just have to make the 200 Series chime, but I am not sure if I am going to get all of the chimes the played on the real train or not, but I will try

Hi Guys.

I wanted a more fitting cabin to the Shinkansen 100 so I reskinned Keimei's TEC0 Cabin. However when I edit the config file in the 100 the cabin ends up being too high in the train.
@ AlexMaria. Any idea's? I also can send you the texture file (in .TGA format) so you can use this as base material If you want to make a custom cabin.

This screenshot is from my old mac taken from a shinkansen 0. So this shot is at the right height.
However when I edit the configfile of the 100 then the cabin viewpoint ends up about 3 meter higher.

50778840492_f3246661f8_h.jpg
[/URL]TS2 Mac Simple Shinkansen 100 drivers cabin reskin by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi Guys.

I wanted a more fitting cabin to the Shinkansen 100 so I reskinned Keimei's TEC0 Cabin. However when I edit the config file in the 100 the cabin ends up being too high in the train.
@ AlexMaria. Any idea's? I also can send you the texture file (in .TGA format) so you can use this as base material If you want to make a custom cabin.

This screenshot is from my old mac taken from a shinkansen 0. So this shot is at the right height.
However when I edit the configfile of the 100 then the cabin viewpoint ends up about 3 meter higher.

It's because of the attachment points. In my 100 Series, i've set the attachment point for the cab at a height of 2.5m, wich works fine with hirochi's cabs, wich have a dead-centre attachment. Evidently, Keimei's interiors have an attachment point that's ground-level, wich indeed means that when they're applied to my models, the cab will sit at a level too far high.

Wait, lemme explain with a diagram:

attpoint.png

I'll make special keimei-cab version of the 100 Series driving cars, this should be good.

Last edited:
It's because of the attachment points. In my 100 Series, i've set the attachment point for the cab at a height of 2.5m, wich works fine with hirochi's cabs, wich have a dead-centre attachment. Evidently, Keimei's interiors have an attachment point that's ground-level, wich indeed means that when they're applied to my models, the cab will sit at a level too far high.

I'll make special keimei-cab version of the 100 Series driving cars, this should be good.

Great. Let me know if you need the .tga file that I used for making the cabin. I also toyed with the idea of including the real ATC meter from the 500 (which has the same style). But I don't know if that could work. Probably you get script errors.

Anyway great you will make kemiei-cab versions of the driving cars :).

Hello and Happy New Year everyone! Its been a while since last time I was online in November or October. :wave:
Very Well Done with you're 100 Maria! But I do have one issue with this.
It says in Content Manager that: "This asset requires a shadow mesh, but the mesh table does not contain one."

Anything I can do about this?

Last edited:
Good News. I have finish on making the melodis for the Colden and Icarus Shinkansens. Here what stations have the melodis. On the Colden Shinkansen, They are at Northropp, Toshin, and Shin Hanyo. And on the Icarus Shinkansen, Licaruco Terminal, Icaruko Airport, Ikaruko Shinkansen City, Awaji, Sumoto, Kitabiko, and Shin Hanyo. And the in car chimes are for based on the real train. I have each sound file for what train they are for.

I wish everyone a happy new year

Happy new year everyone from foggy northern italy!

Here's my last, or first model of the year (depending on your time zone): the TRTA Hibiya Line 03 Series!

2020finalpack.png

From left to right: four TRTA versions, four Tokyo Metro versions, two Kumamoto Electric Railway versions, Nagano Electric Railway and Hokuriku Railway (one version each)

You can download this pack from [URL="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s6MLThJkvLtzF6Ei0lOlA0rAQlYf2uqT/view?usp=sharing"]here[/URL], it'll be soon avaible on my website as well.

The 03 Series was introduced in 1988 and was until very recently, when it was replaced by the 13000 Series, the "icon" of the Hibiya Subway Line.

By the late 1980s, the TRTA was planning for a replacement of the 3000 Series, wich had been introduced in 1961, when the line opened. Original plans called for the introduction of a new train on the Hibiya Line by 1990, when the 3000 Series would've passed the 30-year mark, but as the 3000 Series was already showing signs of precociuous fatigue and tear, due to their intensive usage, TRTA decided to anticipate by the introduction of new trains by two years, from 1990 to 1988, the then-current year.

This sudden change of schedule meant that to meet the deadline, the new trains, designated the "03 Series" had to be designed as quickly as possible. As such, the 03 Series was closely based on the in-production 01 Series for the Ginza Line and on the 05 Series for the Tozai Line. From the former, the 03 Series inherited the alluminium bodyshell construction and layout, while from the latter, the 03 Series inherited almost the entirety of the technical equipments: traction motors, traction control (a very distinctive Mitsubishi Electric four-quadrant GTO Chopper), pantographs, air compressors and so on...

The exterior design was partly based on the earlier 3000 Series, with the new trains keeping the iconic wrap-around windows and the generally-rounded shape of the front. According to official TRTA documents, the main themes of the exterior design of the 03 Series were "High Quality" and "Adult Sense" (whatever it might mean...).

Rushed into service to meet the deadline, the 03 Series finally began revenue runs on the 1st of July 1988, and thanks to a bit of luck (considering how rushed was the designing phase), without any particular problems or technical issues.

The first of 42 planned 8-car sets was manufactured by Kawasaki, the second was manufactured by Nippon Sharyo and the remaining 40 were shared between Kinki Sharyo and Tokyu Car Co., with deliveries ending in 1994.

Out of those 42, sets 01 to 25 were fitted with GTO chopper control, while sets 26 to 42 (built from 1992 to 1994) were fitted with an extremely modern IGBT-VVVF inverter, one of the firsts of its' kind in Japan.
Furhtemore, Sets 09 to 28 had four cars (two at the front and two in the back) fitted with five doors in place of three. The remaining sets 01 to 08 and 26 to 42 were all "standard" 3-doors only trains.

In other words, all four combinations were possible: GTO chopper with 3 doors, GTO chopper with 5 doors, VVVF inverter with 3 doors and VVVF inverter with 5 doors (the rarest combination of them all - only two sets were made to these specifications).

The quirky five-door cars were introduced in 1990 as an attempt to reduce the line's congestion by speeding-up boarding and alighting at stations. The bodyshell of these cars doesn't change substantially from the other "standard" 03 Series sets with three doors only, and the seats between doors were kept fixed (altough reduced in lenght to just space for 3 people), unlike the similar and infamous 6-doors "cattle-cars" of JR East stock (such as the 205 Series), where during rush hours, seats on these cars were folded up.
Furthemore, if all five doors weren't needed, such as during off-peak hours, conductors could choose to open only the three "standard" doors, leaving the two "extra" ones closed.

This five-door system was also used by Tobu Railway on it's 20050 Series, wich ran trough-services on the Hibiya Line.

Speaking of trough services, one of the main issues with the 3000 Series was that not all sets were fitted with the necessary equipment for trough-services on the Tokyu Toyoko Line (from the southern Naka-Meguro end) and on the Tobu Iseaki Line (from the northern Kita-Senju end): some sets of the 3000 Series were fitted only with Tokyu's ATS, some only with Tobu's ATS, some with both and some even with none at all!
To solve this problem, all 03 Series were fitted with both ATS systems right from the start (and also obiviously with TRTA's WS-ATC system for the Hibiya Line).

As mentioned before, the 03 Series entered service on the 1st of July 1988, without any problems, completely replacing the fatigued and increasingly worn-out 3000 Series on the 22nd of July 1994, when the last of the old trains made it's final run.

One year later, on the 20th of March 1995, the TRTA subway was hit by a terrorist attack by the Aum Shinrinkyo religious cult, wich relased sarin gas (a powerful and lethal nerve agent) on five subway trains during rush hour.

Three lines were targeted: the Chiyoda Line (one train), the Marunouchi Line (two trains) and the Hibiya Line (two trains), with the objective being Kasumigaseki station, where the headquarters of the National Police Agency were located: the attack was in fact a (thinly veiled) attempt at diverting the Police's investigation into the cult activities (wich included weapons smuggling, murder, chemical weapon manufacturing, money laundering and so on).

One of the two Hibiya Line trains struck by the terrorists, train number A720S, a southbound service from Kita-Senju to Naka-Meguro, was run by a 03 Series, set no.10 (one of the five-door car ones), wich made an emergency stop at Tsukiji Station.
In total, as a result of the attack, 13 people died (of wich six on the 03 Series alone), and 2475 were seriously injured.

Tragedy struck again the 03 Series five years later, on the 8th of March 2000, when set 02, running the southbound A816S service approaching it's terminus of Naka-Meguro, due to the uneven weight distribution of passengers, derailed on the ramp on the approach to the station, and struck the oncoming northbound B801T service, a Tobu Railway 20000 Series set, whose left side was scraped away, killing five people onboard.

After this tragic and tumultuous period, the 03 Series enjoyed a relative tranquilness; meanwhile, TRTA was restructured into "Tokyo Metro" in 2004, with the 03 Series subsequently losing the iconic "S-arrow" logos in favor of the light blue "M-harts" of the new "Metro".

Until 2013, Hibiya Line trains used to have inter-running services on both ends: on the south end with Tokyu's Toyoko Line and on the northen end with Tobu's Iseaki (and later "Skytree") Line. This changed in 2013, with the opening of the Fukutoshin Line, with Hibiya line trough-services south of Naka-Meguro being curtailed in favour of the new line.

As the 03 Series eventually started reaching the 30 years mark, in 2017 it's successor was introduced by Tokyo Metro: the 13000 Series.
Unlike previous Hibiya Line stock, wich was 18m in lenght, the 13000 Series used the standard 20m-long bodyshell common to almost all other subway lines. This change (wich also required a few adjustments to the line's loading gauge) was made to simplify the fitting of platform screen doors at Hibiya Line stations.

The introduction of the 13000 Series was swift, and by 2020, the remaining 03 Series sets were relegated to off-peak less-important duties. The last 03 Series set was taken out of service on the 28th of February 2020, without any of the fanfare or last run "ceremonies" commonplace with all the other retiring stock.

Specifically, this was done to avoid (according to a Tokyo Metro press relase) "the repeating of the inconvenience caused by railway enthusiasts during the farewell run of the 6000 Series".
(apparently, two years earlier, a group of "hardcore tetsus" were recorded chanting "Long Live the glorious TRTA! Down with the Metro!" onboard the retiring 6000 Series, and apparently, Tokyo Metro didn't took it too well...)

[continues in following post]

Back