Japan

Started back working on my West Sanito extension layout. Still just the trackwork and a few buildings or two. I'm hoping to complete the airport section before the year's out.

Nice :)Nice to see you back on track. Question: When are you adding the textures? Do you always make the tracks first and then add textures later? My work method is starting with filled grids already. I know this is probably not the right method but I can't stand the grid texture:hehe:.

To disable the annoying sway while you're riding in high speed. Add these code in the config.txt of your train.
suspension-pitch-limit 0
suspension-roll-limit 0

A yes that was it. I haven't fired up TANE this week so I couldn't paste in my config file with Shinkansen adaptions. Also disabling cabin sway will help. Because you can do both.

Nice info Pagroove. Maybe I'll use those dependencies for my E7/W7 project.

The E5/E6 Shinkansen sound will be fitting here as it is basically the same generation engine (I Think) I found a carbide vid on Youtube but the engine sound is really not too different than the other modern Shinkansens. The KUID for my engine sound is: <KUID:338927:100081>
So I you can use it :).

By the way I'm making this isn't for JTrainz. Just for myself.

Ah. Very nice. I asked because I ordered (commissioned) an E3 set at Trainz almost a year ago and I thought this was a second secret project. Speaking about the E3. Wondering how far it is. Especially the other liveries.

About your other trains by the way. I can't find the green train and the anime skinned ones on your page. Or didn't you publish them yet?

Those E7 Series are still WIP. The progress is just complete 3 of 12 consist.
I don't know it will be free or pay, just please wait.

E7 Series, click to view larger image

With consists I assume you mean that only car 1 to 3 are real numbered and that the rest of the cars in this pic are copies of the other ones to make up a 12 car set? Anyway it looks really nice.

EDITED TO ADD: If you want I can make an Enginespec for your E7/W7 also that limits the max speed to 260 km/h as this is the operational limit on the Hokuriku Shinkansen I can send it you by pm this weekend?

Last edited:
I plan to add the textures and remaining scenery once the route is connected to the main layout and the tracks are connected. I use the grid to keep the tracks straight as well as the roads first, It's kinda hard for me to lay tracks when the grid is full. I'll have to go into wire frame mode to make sure the tracks are straight. My biggest problem is the arrangement of the houses and buildings. I tend to mix and match alot. I've always wanted to make a japan style cityscape like the pics posted by kurotrick but I guess Im not using the right buildings or placing them wrong. Is there some method of creating Japan style city scapes?

Is there some method of creating Japan style city scares?

It's indeed not so easy to come up with good Japanese cityscapes. I also struggle with this problem during route building. The way I did it was first make some little dense areas and then use the copy and paste functions along with rotating the blocks. In this way you can fast-create a large city. When some area's are pasted I sometimes select large portions and random rotate them and paste them over. In this way you can create a dense cityscape fast but the houses can be a bit of a mess.

Next step I do is just lay roads (even through houses). The only thing I do is roads. I then delete all houses on the road. With this method you can create a sort of quick city grid.

The step after that would be detailing the areas near the tracks. Here I try to align the houses properly.

Even with all this work it is still difficult to reach the density of Some Japanese cities. For example look at Google maps and you'll see that many Japanese cities are incredibly dense.

To reach the quality of Rizky, Kurotrick and J-Trainz I think you have to have much time and patience. And variety is the key so more buildings= simply better. J-Trainz released a building pack but it is payware. So I can't use that on my route as it will be on the DLS in the future. What would also help is more building splines of whole city areas like the ones that where made for USA cities.

But when I look at your pics Railshuttle I think you are using the right office buildings but you have to make sure that it there are also houses in between the buildings. In Japan the building regulations allow that there are some little buildings next to large.

Last edited:
EDITED TO ADD: If you want I can make an Enginespec for your E7/W7 also that limits the max speed to 260 km/h as this is the operational limit on the Hokuriku Shinkansen I can send it you by pm this weekend?

Yes, It would be very usefull. Oh, ya. also please send me that enginesound via pm (<KUID:338927:100081>). I tried downloaded it at DLS, it taking a very long time, but always ends up with failure.

With consists I assume you mean that only car 1 to 3 are real numbered and that the rest of the cars in this pic are copies of the other ones to make up a 12 car set? Anyway it looks really nice.

Yap, correct. :clap:

Ah. Very nice. I asked because I ordered (commissioned) an E3 set at Trainz almost a year ago and I thought this was a second secret project. Speaking about the E3. Wondering how far it is. Especially the other liveries.
We're apologize if you were taking so long waiting for E3. I don't know the progress, but i think it's almost finished.

Thanks for your advice, pagroov. I didn't know they had such regulations regarding the little buildings. (god those things are small!! I swear you could fit at least about 50 or more in one US city block. Ah the copy and paste funtion. Totally forgot all about it. LOL I'll have to try it sometime. I'll have the airport done soon.(at least the basic structure and all) and I'll post some pics of it. Take care.

It's indeed not so easy to come up with good Japanese cityscapes. I also struggle with this problem during route building. The way I did it was first make some little dense areas and then use the copy and paste functions along with rotating the blocks. In this way you can fast-create a large city. When some area's are pasted I sometimes select large portions and random rotate them and paste them over. In this way you can create a dense cityscape fast but the houses can be a bit of a mess.

Next step I do is just lay roads (even through houses). The only thing I do is roads. I then delete all houses on the road. With this method you can create a sort of quick city grid.

The step after that would be detailing the areas near the tracks. Here I try to align the houses properly.

Even with all this work it is still difficult to reach the density of Some Japanese cities. For example look at Google maps and you'll see that many Japanese cities are incredibly dense.

To reach the quality of Rizky, Kurotrick and J-Trainz I think you have to have much time and patience. And variety is the key so more buildings= simply better. J-Trainz released a building pack but it is payware. So I can't use that on my route as it will be on the DLS in the future. What would also help is more building splines of whole city areas like the ones that where made for USA cities.

But when I look at your pics Railshuttle I think you are using the right office buildings but you have to make sure that it there are also houses in between the buildings. In Japan the building regulations allow that there are some little buildings next to large.

Hello

Maybe i'll recommend you to do research. Google earth is the best way to do that. Because if you notice the style of US and JP are different in some ways.
Japanese cities are also different in some region. In east area you will find houses and skylines sit close to each other, while making dense looking scene.
This works for fiction or real layouts as well.

I found some people do great job on creating or maybe imitating Japanese city scene but, maybe they couldn't distinguish the style that derrives from where they live/ what they've seen daily.
Rizky puts so much attention on details for example. Even though he's been living in Indonesia, but he creates so authentic Japanese layouts. So close, that surprises me a lot.
He did do research on some details. Because if we don't take details seriously, we cannot produce Japanese looking city scene.

This might sounded hard at glance but you'll get along and it will get easier.

I hope it helps,

Cheers,

Ok. I've completed the airport (At least the main stuff like the terminal for the Airport express trains, and the junction to the Kage Line tracks and signals are done.) Thought I'd try to build an airport form scratch. IT includes 2 runways, a taxiway and the service roads for the various vechicles that service the airplanes (The fueling trucks and the food service trucks. I'll have to find some static JAL, and ANA planes plus some other international planes as well. Only thing left to do is the painting of the ground.
2518e04f2c87449957d9d90461d39635.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ok. I've completed the airport (At least the main stuff like the terminal for the Airport express trains, and the junction to the Kage Line tracks and signals are done.) Thought I'd try to build an airport form scratch. IT includes 2 runways, a taxiway and the service roads for the various vechicles that service the airplanes (The fueling trucks and the food service trucks. I'll have to find some static JAL, and ANA planes plus some other international planes as well. Only thing left to do is the painting of the ground.

Nice work. But I noticed that some buildings and things are pitch black. Also some buildings. Are you sure that te content is fault free?

Back