Japan

@AlexMaria do you use Sketchup for all your Trainz content? I know the high poly-count on there usually turns most people away from it nowadays.

Yes, for the time being i do.

I'm trying to switch away from Sketchup because it has a lot of limits, but as at the moment i'm still learning to use 3DSmax/GMAX i will made another couple (maybe a few) more trains made with sketchup (one is the Tokyu 1000 Series and it's third-sector railways variants wich is in the work, and another is the Tokyu 8090/8590 Series, wich is in a "advanced studying and researching" phase).

About the poly count, i try to stay around 25000 polygons (with a maximium of about 30000 for really complex trains, such as my earlier Seibu 9000 Series), therefore (and also because Sketchup doesn't do rounded surfaces wery well) i try to focus on boxy-like commuter trains, wich usually require a lot less polygons than others.

I'd also like to make animated doors, wich is something that cannot be done in sketchup (by the way, if someone can give me a quick rundown on how to make them i'd be very grateful).
Nonetheless, even if i don't know how to make them, all my models from the JNR 301 Series onwards are designed to be easily convertible and are already predisposed to recieve animated doors.

Also, are there any other 3D modelling software compatible with trainz? I heard Blender is too, but it's hell hard to learn for someone that starts over from zero. I'm searching something with a smoother learing curve.

Amazing work yall. This encourages me to keep working on my route. Its been a while since ive touched it. I get bored of some railroads at timse. :hehe:

Last edited:

I'm trying to switch away from Sketchup because it has a lot of limits, but as at the moment i'm still learning to use 3DSmax/GMAX i will made another couple (maybe a few) more trains made with sketchup (one is the Tokyu 1000 Series and it's third-sector railways variants wich is in the work, and another is the Tokyu 8090/8590 Series, wich is in a "advanced studying and researching" phase).

About the poly count, i try to stay around 25000 polygons (with a maximium of about 30000 for really complex trains, such as my earlier Seibu 9000 Series), therefore (and also because Sketchup doesn't do rounded surfaces wery well) i try to focus on boxy-like commuter trains, wich usually require a lot less polygons than others.

I'd also like to make animated doors, wich is something that cannot be done in sketchup (by the way, if someone can give me a quick rundown on how to make them i'd be very grateful).
Nonetheless, even if i don't know how to make them, all my models from the JNR 301 Series onwards are designed to be easily convertible and are already predisposed to recieve animated doors.

Also, are there any other 3D modelling software compatible with trainz? I heard Blender is too, but it's hell hard to learn for someone that starts over from zero. I'm searching something with a smoother learing curve.

Blender is the cheaper option to go for but like you said, it's not particularly easy to learn. 3DS Max is a lot more user-friendly but if you aren't a student, it's ridiculously expensive to buy. Gmax was the free alternative, but it's sadly now completely out of date. It would be good if there was an easier (and cheaper) alternative.

I have experienced those 3 software. I highly recommend use blender..
At early day of modelling for trainz, I use sketchUp. I agree sketchUp is very easy for beginners, but the software have limitation especially for trainz, so I don't really recommend it.
Then I decided to move to another modelling software, at that time I don't really know blender so I use 3dsmax. Yes it's suitable for beginners and easy to use but IT'S HELLA EXPENSIVE. I highly not recommend this. Yes it's suitable for beginners but not as indie developers like me.
The last blender, I just started blender around a year ago. switch from 3ds because my student license expired and I don't wanna use pirate software anymore.
The blender just hard in beginning only, once you master the basic, the rest will be very easy. I realize also the animation and texturing is much easier on blender. My last content (E615, 223, 221, E6, Alfa-X series) all made from scratch from blender, Including all animation and texturing.

I also would to inform about my commission project. Sorry, but it will be delayed because of my mid semester test on this week, the 651 series will be released around next / 2 weeks later. The next commission project after this will be 400 series shinkansen :3

-Rizky

Good luck on your test Rizky! I'm looking forward to seeing your 651 series once it's completed and excited to see your progress on the shinkansen 400 after that!
Out of curiosity (apologies if I've asked this before, my memory is pretty awful), but I was wondering if you have any plans on updating your E6 and Alfa-X beta models?

It was on public YouTube but has now vanished, now you'll never know what a great view of a busy station it was....unless they return it :)
seems to happen a lot with Japanese videos.

Try this one..

Speaking if Sketchup, Is sketchup easy to use? Cause I'm planning to own a website to put my content and reskins in there. Possibly Wix or Weebly. I'm planning to create the 100 and 200 series Shinkansens, Refurbished and Non-Refurbished.

Why? Because since I don't wanna bother anybody for requests. And since Conny left (She's back but......)

Last edited:
I recommend you using either 3dsMax or Blender, Sketchup is good for objects, but if you want to do trains, then it does create a lot of unnecesary divisions, rising the number of polygons without any need of.

Speaking if Sketchup, Is sketchup easy to use? Cause I'm planning to own a website to put my content and reskins in there. Possibly Wix or Weebly. I'm planning to create the 100 and 200 series Shinkansens, Refurbished and Non-Refurbished.

Why? Because since I don't wanna bother anybody for requests. And since Conny left (She's back but......)

Don't do the 100 then I commissioned Rizky to make them It will probably his third of fourth commission. But Only Rizky himself can give the excact list that is coming up. Edited to add so start on a 200 and share your progress. It will be difficult. The 200 has a slightly other nose.

Don't do the 100 then I commissioned Rizky to make them It will probably his third of fourth commission.

Nice! So we got a 400 series in development which I commissioned, along with a certain other EMU from MSTS and a 100 series on the waiting list. Can't wait to see them!

By the way, I remember Kurotrick showing off a 100 series back on page 301. Just out of curiousity, any idea what happened to it?
some shots featuring 100-series

Sighe... I really... REALLY WISH that I could commission. Tho I can’t because I’m not 18 and don’t have a credit card. I’m just extremely jealous of all of you who can even commission. All was I wanted (not begging) was a E3 before. Tho it’s just the credit card problem which blocked my way to do so. That all pretty much means my only hope is hirochi. Which he only understand Japanese... and doesnt really talk much... so I’m pretty much screw with the things I have.

Back