Japan

is there anywhere i can download
Shikoku DMU?

From my post of the 25th December.

Happy Christmas to evryone!

A little different from my usual reskins of 1970s electric multiple units, here's a new pack: JR Shikoku 2000 and N2000 Series limited-express tilting diesel multiple units, reskins of Hirochi's anpanman 2000 Series (JRH SHIKOKU 2000).

tse.png

from left to right: 2000 Series prototype "TSE", 2000 Series full-production trains, N2000 Series pre-production set in old & new livieries.

All of these have been refurbished with new enginespecs, hornsounds and interiors (made by Hirochi).

[FONT=&quot]2000 Series prototype "TSE"

By the late 1980s, the newly formed JR Shikoku was losing passengers to the then-being-built Motorways, wich were competing with an old, unelectrified and tortuous railway network.
The competition was particularily felt on the Dosan Line, wich is one of the most important railway lines in Shikoku (connecting the north of the island to the city of Kochi), via the inland mountains.
To increase speeds on the line, JR Shikoku introduced tiliting trains.

A tilting train is a train that has the ability to tilt the body inwards on curves, lessening the centrifugal force effect and thus can run faster than conventional trains on curves, while maintaining the same saftey level (and in some case even safer).
Tilting trains were initially developed as experimental trains by many different countries in the 1970s, including France, the United Kingdom and Japan.
Notably, the JNR developed one of the first tilting express EMUs, the 381 Series of 1973, using a”passive tilt” system (where the body tilts when the train is already in curve).

The ideal solution was developed in Italy, with an “active tilt” system (the body tilts before entering a curve) being employed firstly on the experimental ETR401 Series of 1974, giving birth to the famous “Pendolino” family of trains (ETR450, ETR460, ETR470…), wich became the standard to wich all tilting trains are compared to.

Back to Shikoku, the “Tilting Super express” DMU project was classified “2000 Series” by JR Shikoku (using a system more akin to a private railway than to the one of JNR), with a prototype 3-car set manufactured by Fuji Heavy Industries.
The prototype set had two different front ends: an aeredoynamic one, and a flat one, used for coupling other sets.
While being world’s first tilting DMU, it was by far not the first tilting train, nor the tilting system was particularily advanced (in fact it still was an obsolete passive-tilt system).

Similarily to highway busses (wich the 2000 Series was to compete with), it had individual regulable air conditioning vents, and was fitted with a front camera, so that front-view footage could be broadcast on a TV screen in the passenger compartment.
It entered service in 1989, assigned to Takamatsu depot for use on “Nampu” and “Shimanto” express trains, using the Yosan and Dosan Lines.

It won both the “Laurel Prize” (a yearly prize awarded by the Japan Railfan Association to outstanding vehicles wich entered service the year before) and the “Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers” award in 1990.
Also in 1990, with the introduction of full-production sets, it was moved to Matsuyama depot, for use on “Shiokaze” services between Matsuyama and Okayama (via the Seto-Oashi Bridge).

With the introduction of the 8000 Series EMU, in 1993 the “TSE” prototype set was moved back to Takamatsu depot, and was assigned on “Ashizuri” and “Shimanto” trains, with trough-services with the Tosa Kuroshio Railway.
In 2003 it was moved back again to Matsuyama, for use on “Uwa” and “Ishizuchi” trains, but by then, it was used very sparcely.
It was retired on the 3rd July 2018, and scrapped in 2019.

Trivia:

The 2000 Series was named after the (then) to-come year 2000, and this 4-digit classification system (more akin to a private railway one) remains in use with JR Shikoku as of today.

2000 Series full-production sets

After the successful testing of the pre-production “TSE” set, JR Shikoku ordered the mass-production of 2000 Series sets in 1990.

These were largely identical to the pre-production set, except for a train headmark roller-blind placed on the front and a few details of the liviery, such as the yellow line painted on the front to improve the train’s visibility, especially during nighttime.
They entered service in the summer of 1990, replacing the JNR-designed ageing KiHa 181 and the relatively modern KiHa 185 (also a JNR design), and as of now they’re JR Shikoku’s main limited express DMU.

Trivia:
In 1991 a 2000 Series set was tested by JR West on it’s Geibi Line.

N2000 Series pre-production set (cars 2424 & 2458) - old liviery

The N2000 Series was introduced in 1995 as an improvement of the 2000 Series, specially designed for the Kotoku Line (Takamatsu-Tokushima) and based on the Chizu Express Railway HOT7000 Series, introduced the year before.

Unlike the standard 2000 Series sets, these did not have aereodynamic front cars, but could still operate in multiple-unit working with standard 2000s nonetheless.
A pre-production set formed by cars 2424 and 2458 was delivered in 1995, with a liviery largely resembling the 2000s one, but with red accents (particularily the doors).

N2000 Series pre-production set (cars 2424 & 2458) - new liviery
Full-production N2000 Series sets entered service in 1997, their appearance was slightly redesigned, with a more modern-looking front with top-mounted headlights.

They also ditched the light blue liviery of the 2000 Series trains for a striking red and blue one, wich was also applied to the pre-production cars 2424 and 2458.
The two pre-production cars are still in service with this liviery, operating in multiple-unit working with standard N2000 Series cars or 2000 Series sets (or both).

Tosa Kuroshio Railway 2000 Series
In 1990, ahead of the planned start of trough-running services with JR Shikoku, the Tosa Kuroshio Railway bought one 4-car set of the 2000 Series, then JR Shikoku’s newest train (and the one to be used for inter-running services).

Identical to JR Shikoku’s ones (it even used the same liviery, with the addition of small Tosa Kuroshio Railway logos in the middle of the cars’ sides), the 4-car set composed of units 2030-2130-2230-2231 entered service in november 1990.

While being property of Tosa Kuroshio Railway, the sole 2000 Series set is based at a JR Shikoku Depot (Kochi), serviced and maintained by JR Shikoku and operated only by JR Shikoku drivers and conductors.

The JR Shikoku-style liviery was carried briefly, as this 2000 Series set was repainted by Tosa Kuroshio Railway into an anpanman-themed train in 2001 (following the success of a similar initiative by JR Shikoku the year before), and hasn’t been repainted to it’s original liviery since.

DOWNLOADS:

2000 Series prototype "TSE"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bYr3v5uVHnqgHN-nbUSoT3h0lvteUZzd/view

2000 Series full-production sets
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1afjTo1g_8KPBBU72qaUSWRjDOezI-ZQ3/view

N2000 Series pre-production set (cars 2424 & 2458) - old liviery
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pXEpCKrA_aFpT6x-f6POElFcV9bsEecf/view

N2000 Series pre-production set (cars 2424 & 2458) - new liviery
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WYwpYQ5tMwnRZvGUpyzGZU1-vrr0xxkl/view

Tosa Kuroshio Railway 2000 Series
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LTHMhK4s47HXmiUVdV7ms5avKZIyf7vx/view

These are reskins of Hirochi's Anpanman 2000 Series (JRH SHIKOKU 2000) avaible on the DLS.
All the dependencies are either avaible on the DLS or included in these packages.
[/FONT]

A little progress on Pagroove's request: the Seibu 9000 Series, for now in the iconic seibu yellow colour; the special KPP pink liviery will come soon.

(edit: don't mind the wheels that do not touch the rails - these are standard gauge tracks)

Looks really gorgeous. I like driver too and can't wait to see the KPP version also :). But the Yellow is beautiful.

Hey great vid, pagroov!! What textures and trees did you use for the hillsides? THey look really good. Pretty bright headligts still in the tunnel.

Thank you. The bushes are the JVC bushes (under splines). Yeah the lights are too bright. Wish there was a way to make them somewhat less bright.

According to Skyscrapercity Forum/Railway Section/Japan High Speed news https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=478269&page=122 at post #2425 the 700 Series will perform its last run on 8 march 2020. to quote user Momo1436
JR Central has announced that special stickers will be applied to the front of the remaining 2 700 Series sets in February 2020 in advance of the Last Run of the 700 Series on the Tokaido Shinkansen which is scheduled for March 8, 2020.

The final train is now scheduled to be the Nozomi 315 from Tokyo (9:47) to Shin-Osaka (12:20). The train will only have reserved seats, which will go on sale on 02/08, all passengers will receive a special souvenir.

As I understand the 700 series will remain on the Sanyo Shinkansen from then on. News makes me a little sad. Man time flies. Some countries have to even introduce proper high speed rail and the Japanese are retirering almost the third generation of Bullet Trains. So the Tokkaido Shinkansen will become N700 family (N700 and the new N700S) only.

Luckily I drove a Tokaido 700 series on my Japan trip between Maibara and Kyoto in april 2018 and also drove the 700Railstar between Himeji and Hiroshima. Also drove the N700 and the 500 Shinkansen EVA and the N700 Sakura.

Last edited:
I never saw a high speed train in person and only in videos, but I just honestly don't get why some Shinkansen bullet train models had far shorter service lives than the original 0 series (close to 50 years) and even other countries' high speed trains (e.g. German ICE 1 and 3). Just have to deal with the exponential technological development especially in efficiency even though I do love the N700 and the E7/W7 series a lot and sad to see the ones came before them go.

Last edited:
I never saw a high speed train in person and only in videos, but I just honestly don't get why some Shinkansen bullet train models had far shorter service lives than the original 0 series (close to 50 years) and even other countries' high speed trains (e.g. German ICE 1 and 3). Just have to deal with the exponential technological development especially in efficiency even though I do love the N700 and the E7/W7 series a lot and sad to see the ones came before them go.

Actually, while the design of the 0 series was 40 years old by the time of their retirement in 2006, individual sets did not reach past 20/25 years of age. Production of 0-series sets ended in 1986 (as the 100 series was introduced in the same year).

As with all JNR stock, 0 Series trains were built in batches:

-Batches 1 to 12 were the original cars, built between 1964 and 1971
-Batches 13 to 21 were additional cars built between 1972 and 1976 (for the San'yo Shinkansen)
-Batches 22 to 29 (-1000 subseries) were built between 1976 and 1980, introduced to replace batches 1 to 5.
-Batches 30 to 38 (-2000 subseries) were built between 1981 and 1986, introduced to replace batches 6 to 12.

Batches 1 to 12 (the original cars of 1964) suffered from extraordinarily rapid wear and ageing, so they were retired en-masse between 1976 and 1987, with their lifetime ranging between 12 and 15 years.
While normally withdrawn cars are cut up with blowtorches, to manage this huge number of scrapped cars, JNR was forced to set-up a temoprary semi-automated "dismantling" line eqipped with circular saws in it's Hammatsu works, wich remained in operation between 1976 and 1987.

Batches 13 to 21 had a longer lifespan, between 17 and 24 (but with the average closer to 17).
Batches 22 to 29 were retired after 15 to 27 years of operation (with an average of 17/18 years).
Batches 30 to 38 suffered the fact that they were "born aged" (outdated design) and were retired after just 13 to 15 years.

The final three 0 Series formations in operation in 2008 ranged from 23 to 25 years old, thus the "40 years lifespan" is an "illusion" created by extremely long production (1964 to 1986, 22 years) and retirement (1976 to 2008, 32 years) cycles.

The age record of a 0 Series car is 27 years, while the all-time record for Shinkansen trains is just shy of 30 years, held by 6 cars of a 200 Series set (a record that will probably never surpassed).

For comparison, the average lifespan of a train is about 30 years, with some variations:

Locomotives: 50 to 60 years
Passenger Coaches: 30 to 60 years
Multiple Units: 30 to 50 years
Freight Wagons: 50 to 60 years

Well-designed trains can practically run forever (as long as they're properly maintained and the company is not willing to replace them).

Actually, while the design of the 0 series was 40 years old by the time of their retirement in 2006, individual sets did not reach past 20/25 years of age. Production of 0-series sets ended in 1986 (as the 100 series was introduced in the same year).

-Batches 13 to 21 were additional cars built between 1972 and 1976 (for the San'yo Shinkansen)
-Batches 22 to 29 (-1000 subseries) were built between 1976 and 1980, introduced to replace batches 1 to 5.
-Batches 30 to 38 (-2000 subseries) were built between 1981 and 1986, introduced to replace batches 6 to 12.

Batches 1 to 12 (the original cars of 1964) suffered from extraordinarily rapid wear and ageing, so they were retired en-masse between 1976 and 1987, with their lifetime ranging between 12 and 15 years.
While normally withdrawn cars are cut up with blowtorches, to manage this huge number of scrapped cars, JNR was forced to set-up a temoprary semi-automated "dismantling" line eqipped with circular saws in it's Hammatsu works, wich remained in operation between 1976 and 1987.

Batches 13 to 21 had a longer lifespan, between 17 and 24 (but with the average closer to 17).
Batches 22 to 29 were retired after 15 to 27 years of operation (with an average of 17/18 years).
Batches 30 to 38 suffered the fact that they were "born aged" (outdated design) and were retired after just 13 to 15 years.

The final three 0 Series formations in operation in 2008 ranged from 23 to 25 years old, thus the "40 years lifespan" is an "illusion" created by extremely long production (1964 to 1986, 22 years) and retirement (1976 to 2008, 32 years) cycles.

The age record of a 0 Series car is 27 years, while the all-time record for Shinkansen trains is just shy of 30 years, held by 6 cars of a 200 Series set (a record that will probably never surpassed).

For comparison, the average lifespan of a train is about 30 years, with some variations:

Well-designed trains can practically run forever (as long as they're properly maintained and the company is not willing to replace them).

This was a nice and informative read. Thanks for the knowledge. Especially about the batches of the Shinkansen 0. I did went to the Saitama Railway museum which has a 0.

Well on the Tokaido Shinkansen it actually makes sense. Due to being the oldest Shinkansen line the curves are tighter. Especially the curve through Atami Station. The 700 series has to slow down to something like 170 km/h (105.6 ,miles/h) to take the curve and due to tilting the N700 can take this curve at around a speed of 230 km/h (142.9 miles/h). So that is a reason. And the second reason is that the N700 accelerates a lot quicker. At 2.6 km/h/s it is able to reach a speed of 270 km/h in 3 minutes.

So now with the same line of the train the speed can increase to 285 km/h max on the Tokaido Shinkansen. (it was 270 km/h max) shortening the already short journey times.

Thank you for the more detailed explanation! I just see that the Shinkansen retirement is just no different than that of airliners in the airline industry and maybe this could also be applied to newer trainsets that came after the 0 series (Pre-N700/Pre-E5 series).

Last edited:
Made a Tokyu5000 engine and doorsound for the JRC content. Tokyu can be downloaded at Rizky's site: http://jirctrainz.com/

N3V needs really to improve the sound system, now matter how hard you try, but the sound system is horrible, not to say how the train bounces... Do the original sounds, sound like that? Because I think it has also way too much background noise.

[QUOTE. Do the original sounds, sound like that? Because I think it has also way too much background noise.[/QUOTE]

No I don't agree. They really sound like that. Japanese trains are generally noisy because you really hear squicking, wind noise, general noise etc. I've been in real Japanese trains so. I would not say it is perfect but this sound is an inside- and outside sound at the same time.

N3V doesn't have a system separate sounds for inside and outside. So yes you have to find a compromise. I agree the sound system needs to far better in the future.

Probably move to a source based sound system where each system can be given its ow noise and a separate outside sound for outside. But until then we can only do so much. However in terms of Japanese trains not many sims are an alternative and there is almost none with the route building detail of TANE. BVE is driving only, Train Sim has not much Japanese content ad A-Train is too simplistic although I love the big systems that you can make in that sim.

Last edited:
N3V needs really to improve the sound system, now matter how hard you try, but the sound system is horrible, not to say how the train bounces... Do the original sounds, sound like that? Because I think it has also way too much background noise.

There IS a problem regarding enginesounds for electric trains in trainz, but it's a totally different matter that what you described.

Allow me to explain with a graph (you might open it in a different tab for better reading):

enginesounds.png

MC = master controller (the train's would-be accellerator). MC>P means the master controller is moved from idle to a power position and MC>OFF means the MC is moved from a power position to idle.
BRAKE obiviously is the brake, ON means applied and OFF means relased.

In the first graph are marked the patterns of the two enginesound types avaible for trainz: "diesel" (yellow) and "electric" (blue) compared to an example of a train's speed (red).
A "diesel" enginesound is composed of several single sound files, divided into three types:

- "idle X" : one for evry motor notch (wich means usually up to 8), of wich "idle 1" is the recording of the train in actual "idle" position.
- "up X-Y" : ramp-up transitions between "idle" files.
- "down Y-X" : step-down transitions between "idle" files.

When a train using a "diesel" enginesound departs from idle (MC>P) the sequence played is "idle 1> up 1-2 > idle 2 > up 2-3 > idle 3 > up 3-4> idle 4..." and so on until you reach the idle sound for the notch you've selected (if you're at max power, it will usually be "idle 8").
Note that while this sequence is playing, the MC remains in the notch you've selected. If you select a lower notch or put it in idle, the sequence will interrupt itself and will start playing the "idle" files in reverse order, using the "step down" files ("down X-Y") as transitions until it reaches the "idle 1" file, wich will then be played in a loop until the MC is moved to a power position again (and the process repeats itself).

This means that the train will play an "idle 1" sound even if it's still moving, and when taking power again (from a moving position) the train will play all the sequence from idle 1, as if it's departing from a full stop.
Furthemore, in enginesounds with "step-down" files that use recording of a train's decelleration sound (especially on inverter-powered trains, more on that later) you'll often hear the sound of a decellerating train, while the train you're driving is maybe just idling.

"diesel"-type enginesound are as of today the most popular system to make enginesounds for trainz, but there is a second method, largely ignored: the electric enginesound.
This one is composed of a single sound file, called "engine_loop" wich is distorted (to a higher pitch) proportionally with the train's speed. It's the most realistic system to make electric enginesounds for trainz, but it does not allow anything to be represented correctly besides resistor-control sounds.

----------

Now a bit of differentiation between the real train's enginesounds.

Electric trains' sounds are the audible representation of how the traction current is converted before being fed into the electric motors, therefore, they depend on wich ("traction current control") system is used.
There are many types of traction current controllers, but they can be round up to three distinct types:

- Resistor/Rheostat control

- Chopper control

- Inverter control

Resistor control:

(107 series of 1988, wich reuses all the electrical equipment from 165 series trains of 1963)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4OS979Xvw

The resistor control was the first one to be used for electric trains, starting from when they became commonplace in the late 1890s, and it was used until the 1970s, when it was replaced by choppers, altough some trains built in the 1980s (such as the 205 Series) were still built with it.
It's an electro-mechanical system where current regulation is obtained by changing the electrical combination of motors (series, semi-parallel, parallel) and by the use of resistors (electrical components wich partially dissipate electricity into heat).
It does not make any distinctive sound, besides the one of the motor transmission (wich changes it's tone depending on the type: gears, cardan drive...), wich is a growl wose pitch raises togheter with the train speed.

This is the easiest sound to make, the hardest part is finding a good-quality low pitched motor noise to use as the "engine_loop".

Chopper control:

(Tobu 9000 Series of 1981, "Armature" chopper)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01iocu9yB38

The chopper control was introduced in the late 1960s, and became commonplace by the 1970s. It's considered the first application of electronics in high-power settings.
It uses a series of diodes (either of the SCR or GTO type) electronic switches to "chop" the "armature current" (the motor's input current) into a series of small pulses. The higher the pulse frequency, the higher the motor's speed.
It makes a distinctive, constant-pitched whine(or three-note melody if it's a GTO, such as on a TRTA 03 Series) when it's active (wich is when the MC is placed in a "power" notch).
Many chopper controlled trains have regenerative electric braking, this means that the chopper is also active when braking.

This kind of sound requires two separate enginesounds: a "diesel"-type one for the chopper whine only, and an "electric"-type one for the motor transmission with an higher volume than the chopper one.

Inverter control:

(Keio 8000 Series of 1992, GTO-VVVF)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTjPIS5crdA

An evolution of the current chopper introduced in the late 1980s, unlike the preceeding two, wich controlled DC motors, an inverter controls AC motors.
It's actually composed of two separate parts: a current chopper (either GTO or IGBT) wich chops the DC into a series of small pulses and a VVVF (Variable Voltage, Variable Frequency) device, wich creates a variable alternating current wave.
Inverter are of two types: GTO-VVVF (older one, used from the 1980s until the mid-2000s) and IGBT-VVVF (newer one, used since the mid-2000s). Recently, a new type of inverter was introduced, the SiC-VVVF (such as the one on the E235 Series) wich uses an IGBT made of Silicon-Carbide elements.
Each manufacturer has it's own distinct-sounding inverter (altough this is purely coincidental), some ones (such as the Hitachi-made GTO-VVVFs) sound like a race car, some sound like a scream (such as the Tokyo-Denki ones), and of course, there's the solfege of the Siemens GTO-VVVF.
Each inverter's "music" plays as long as the current is fed trough the motor (again, with the MC in a "power" notch), and when braking, the "music" is played in reverse.

Making this kind of enginesound has always been a problem for trainz, but i think i've found a good solution: using a "train-stopped" script (such as the one used on Rizky's 201 Series) wich plays a separate audio file with the distinctive departing music of an inverter (an audio file that fades to silent after 7/8 seconds) over a motor-transmission enginesound.
I've applied this solution on the JR West 125 Series i've relased a bit back, and i'm in the process of applying it to my reskins of rizky's trains (besides on the upcoming Seibu 9000 and New 2000 Series).

The variety of inverter sounds on Tokyu Railway's trains (GTO-VVVF, IGBT-VVVF and SiC-VVVF).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhvew2SkgOM

Last edited:
There IS a problem regarding enginesounds for electric trains in trainz, but it's a totally different matter that what you described.

Allow me to explain with a graph (you might open it in a different tab for better reading):

Hey, Nice explanation AlexMaria !!

I agree that N3V needs really to improve the sound system especially for electric engine sound.
But here's a thing, the "diesel" type-enginesound is very okay if you using DCC as control.

Also, there's not recommended to play Japanese EMU content using CAB mode because :

1st, as you explained before, the enginesound become weird if the content using "diesel" type-enginesound.
2nd, CAB mode is specialized for Locomotive only unless they're scripted. You can feel it, the brake is not responsive and the acceleration sometimes too fast. No matter how hard you to edit the enginespecs, they're still not even close to real physics. I recommend to play bve5 or OpenBVE if you wanna experience the real physics of EMU driving simulation.

BTW for the enginesound, there still a possibility to make a chopper sound using the basic method of PlaySoundScript and StopSoundScript script command. The basic logic is using the acceleration of the train to trigger a chopper sound to on and off.
For the Inverter sound, we need another script command that allows programmers to plays and stops the sound at a specific time or command to edit the pitch of the sound.

Hey, Nice explanation AlexMaria !!

I agree that N3V needs really to improve the sound system especially for electric engine sound.
But here's a thing, the "diesel" type-enginesound is very okay if you using DCC as control.

Also, there's not recommended to play Japanese EMU content using CAB mode because :

1st, as you explained before, the enginesound become weird if the content using "diesel" type-enginesound.
2nd, CAB mode is specialized for Locomotive only unless they're scripted. You can feel it, the brake is not responsive and the acceleration sometimes too fast. No matter how hard you to edit the enginespecs, they're still not even close to real physics. I recommend to play bve5 or OpenBVE if you wanna experience the real physics of EMU driving simulation.

BTW for the enginesound, there still a possibility to make a chopper sound using the basic method of PlaySoundScript and StopSoundScript script command. The basic logic is using the acceleration of the train to trigger a chopper sound to on and off.
For the Inverter sound, we need another script command that allows programmers to plays and stops the sound at a specific time or command to edit the pitch of the sound.

Thank you. I do play a bit of BVE5 when i'm looking for realistic train handling (especially on the TRTA Hanzomon, Ginza and Tozai Lines maps), but somehow, i still go back to Trainz.

The ideal thing for an inverter enginesound would be a script that plays different recordings according to the train speed: accellerating from 0 to 30Km/h play this, slowing down from 60 to 30Km/h play that... when the master controller is in neutral play the idle sound...

E217 Series
The interior is still wrong but okay..
Download here :

Very nice!

Can i make a Tokaido Line reskin? 3x 10+5 car sets were in service on the Tokaido Line between 2006 and 2015 as a stop-gap mesaure between the retirement of the 113 Series and the introduction of the E233-3000 Series.

JR_East_E217_series_EMU_021.JPG

Back