Japan

What is the consist layout of the limited express Sakura?

The Sakura was formed by Series 14 coaches, and ran coupled with the Fuji or the Hayabusa trains between Tokyo and Tosu, where the two split, with the Sakura going to Nagasaki and Sasebo, while the Fuji or Hayabusa went to Kumamoto or Kagoshima.

As per the picture below, the train was formed of a rake of seven Series 14 coaches, coupled with another rake of seven coaches for the Fuji and Hayabusa services.

10245560k.jpg

Between Tokyo and Shimonoseki it was hauled by DC-only locomotvies, such as the EF66 or EF65; from Shimonoseki to Moji (trough the Kanmon undersea tunnel) it was hauled by the special stainless-steel AC/DC EF81-300s, while for the remaining journey to Nagasaki and Sasebo it was hauled by ED76 AC-only locomotives.

Speaking of the Sakura, here's a very nice video (taken from one of the many VHS films about Japanese railways made in the 1990s) detailing the preparations for the journey (driver reporting to the depot chief, timetable and watch checking, readying the EF66, travelling as a light engine to Tokyo Station) and the very first part of the journey, between Tokyo and (the bridge before) Kawasaki, at dusk.

This film was recored in 1996-1997 (the scaffolding visible in the back ground at Tokyo Station gives it away, as at the time they were building an additional Shinkansen platform) yet it retains almost 100% of the flavour of the old JNR - there isn't a single JR-designed train in sight.

The Sakura was formed by Series 14 coaches, and ran coupled with the Fuji or the Hayabusa trains between Tokyo and Tosu, where the two split, with the Sakura going to Nagasaki and Sasebo, while the Fuji or Hayabusa went to Kumamoto or Kagoshima.

As per the picture below, the train was formed of a rake of seven Series 14 coaches, coupled with another rake of seven coaches for the Fuji and Hayabusa services.

10245560k.jpg

Excuse me for providing some additional informations:

While Sakura was operated as a tandem with Hayabusa from 1999 to 2005 (using a combination of 24 Series passenger coaches owned by Kumamoto Depot and 14 Series passenger coaches of Nagasaki Depot), on the same time Fuji was still operated as a single train despite sharing same consist with Sakura + Hayabusa. It only became a tandem train with Hayabusa after the abolition of Sakura in 2005, where the need for a full-fledge tandem consist caused the 24 Series passenger coaches formerly used by both Fuji and Hayabusa to be displaced from both trains (though they were still used by the Kyoto-bound Naha, which from 2005 to 2008 were coupled with 14 Series passenger coaches of JR West's Kyoto Depot that were used by Akatsuki).

Another interesting fact is that JR Kyushu's 24 Series passenger coaches received special modifications in 1999 for allowing the KaNi 24 generator + baggage car to supply the electricity to 14 Series passenger coaches' side in emergency situation, despite in the normal situation each of them had their electricity supplied by their own generator cars (24 Series: KaNi 24, 14 Series: SuHaNeFu 14* or SuHaNeFu 15*). And the most interesting fact, however, is that some of 14 Series passenger coaches used by both Sakura, Fuji and Hayabusa were originally built as 24 Series passenger coaches, with these units are:

1. SuHaNeFu 14-100 (former OHaNeFu 24-0) - B-class sleeper with conductor room and emergency braking equipments, equipped with underframe diesel generator for electrical supply
2. OHaNe 15-1000 (former OHaNe 25-100) - B-class sleeper
3. OHaNe 15-2000 (former OHaNe 25-1000) - B-class single compartment sleeper, technically pseudo-bilevel car since the compartments were arranged in a somewhat bilevel arrangement
4. ORoNe 15-3000 (former ORoNe 25-0) - A-class single compartment sleeper

=======

*14 Series passenger coaches had their diesel generator for supplying electricity located on the underframe of SuHaNeFu 14 and SuHaNeFu 15 passenger coaches, which carries both the passenger and the train conductor (the code "Fu" here is indicating that the coach had conductor room and emergency brake equipments).

While Sakura was operated as a tandem with Hayabusa from 1999 to 2005 (using a combination of 24 Series passenger coaches owned by Kumamoto Depot and 14 Series passenger coaches of Nagasaki Depot), on the same time Fuji was still operated as a single train despite sharing same consist with Sakura + Hayabusa. It only became a tandem train with Hayabusa after the abolition of Sakura in 2005, where the need for a full-fledge tandem consist caused the 24 Series passenger coaches formerly used by both Fuji and Hayabusa to be displaced from both trains (though they were still used by the Kyoto-bound Naha, which from 2005 to 2008 were coupled with 14 Series passenger coaches of JR West's Kyoto Depot that were used by Akatsuki).

Touché! ;)

Thanks for pointing that out. I was subconciously referring to the 1999-2005 period only, and i have indeed ignored post-2005 formations.

The end of this month (probably the weekend of 29/30) I will share Icarus Shinkansen v 2.0. WIP Monthly building snapshot nr. 1.

This will be a public downloadable Work In Progress Version (WIP-Version). It will include a license to not share that build on any third party websites. Reason for this is that the finished version again will be uploaded to the Download Station. You can and may however use these building snapshot for your own enjoyment. Bear in mind though to backup your own adapted versions of the route first. This version will revert probably some changes that you have personally made.

So what is in Building snapshot 1?

Building snapshot is the first area that I have built entirely in TANE SP3 so that is the minimum version of this snapshot. It represents the area all of Hanyo City. Hanyo City is a large Station with 8 Shinkansen Platforms and also about 8 or 12 (still building) normal line platforms. So it is a major station on the network. In future I probably plan a connection from the Colden Shinkansen to Hanyo Station too so that through running from the Colden Shinkansen to the Icarus Shinkansen becomes a possibility.

Here is a map of Oga to Shin Hanyo:

50859246033_33444d60d7_h.jpg
[/URL]

Current Situation OGA, Hanyo and Shin Hanyo
by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is the same map but more cental on Hanyo City:

50860056982_31d002eb1e_h.jpg
[/URL]

Current Situation Shin Hanyo and Hanyo

As you can see I have also expanded to the North and East to make it possible tho expand the ICM (Icarus Coast Mainline) to expand from Kitabiko to Hanyo city. The ICM mainline will also be expanded all the way to OGA so that in the future the length of mainline will be expanded to 120 km or more on this section. More in next post.

Last edited:
I will show some screenshots. For this new sections I have used a new building method. I have used largely random scenery and copy and paste to rapidly build up the areas. I call this method first wave scenery modelling. Then in a second wave I will detail more and will take care that the area for tha area along the tracks. Also I do the road network. So my method of working is basically:

1. Do the Baseboards
2. With colored textures zone the areas (as in Sim City> Gray is city, Green is farm land, Dark Green and other greens are mountains and hills, Blue is water)
3. Do the coastlines. For large water areas I have different baseboard routes in place that I merge in the route. If I need for example for a a sea-area. I make a seperate 4 by 4 seaplate route that I merge in the main route. So that I don't have to do large sea areas. I have also empty land baseboard routes of 2 by 2 up to 20 by 20 baseboards
4. Then texture general areas
5. Add coastlines and river and add mountains. I do Mountains in layers. For example: First a 40 meter layer, the 80 and so on. Then in a later stage I do the peaks and ridges. This my method to do reasonable mountains quickly.
6 .Then I do random scenery. So based on a list of objects I've let TANE SP3 populate the area with the option: "add random scenery in area only. I will let the function run and stop when it becomes to full. Then I alter the list and repeat.
7. Cut and paste and vary large city areas. I cut and past some more detailed areas first and then vary the rotation
8. Cut and paste and vary more....................till it becomes nicely mixed. Delete buildings that repeat too often in the scene
9 Make the Shinkansen track
10.Add bridges
11 Add stations
12 Do general detail around stations
13 Add main Roads. I do long sections. So I drag the road through houses
14 Delete the houses standing on the roads and make some first rotations

So with this method you can build up a large area of around 20/30 km in about month with already a nice general Japanese look. I hate to see the grid so I texture right away (this is a personal choice)

On to the shots: I drove with AlexMaria's 200 H set:

High overview *using TRS 2019 Drone cam at heighest setting of Shin Hanyo and Hanyo Area looking to South East Direction:

In the background Mt. Hanyo on the left and on the right the Active Volcano Ogadake. In the foreground of Mt. Hanyo you see Hanyo City with on the left the North Hanyo River/Canal. On the right you see Hanyo International Airport and Hanyo River. In the front you recognize Shin Hanyo with the Colden Shinkansen Depot and Shin Hanyo dual Shinkansen Stations.

50859245013_1b4bbebd78_h.jpg
[/URL]

Shin Hanyo and Hanyo City

In the next shots I work from the South of the map the North. This is South of Oga. You can see that the random scenery method can generate already a nice scene that I will later detail further:

50860056862_702c98d64a_h.jpg
[/URL]

South Approcah to Oga station WIP

200 H Set at Oga Station.

50859245813_4167a78b92_h.jpg
[/URL]

200 H set at Oga station

Top of Ogadake a active volcano. Last Major eruption was in 2006. I will probably make a nice photoshop shot of that in the future. Today steam is rising from the crater. Volcano watch has this one on high monitoring:

50860056717_338a21e91c_h.jpg
[/URL]

Top of Ogadake

Ogadake and Shinkansen 200 H set:

50859961646_d85f53d7b2_h.jpg
[/URL]

200 H and Ogadake Volcano

Minami Hanyo (largely autogenerated and Copy-pasted but still nice)

50859245613_d415062aeb_h.jpg
[/URL]

Minami Hanyo WIP and 200H

South Approach to Hanyo River Bridge. A Double deck Suspension bridge (WIP) You see that the road is not yet conected. I have to do that but it is rather painfull to raise the road an allign it carefully lol :)

50860056552_820dc5d16c_h.jpg
[/URL]

South Approach to Hanyo River Bridge WIP

Hanyo River bridge:

50859245448_d4da473919_h.jpg
[/URL]

HANYO River Bridge Double Deck WIP

Continued in next post:

Last edited:
A very WIP shot of HANYO Station. The normal line sections are not built yet in this version

50859245413_23de1d4a60_h.jpg
[/URL]

Hanyo Station South Approach WIP

Hanto Station 8 platform Shinkansen. I have made some sort of open platform barriers:

50860056392_1896668482_h.jpg
[/URL]

Hanyo Station WIP overview

Hanyo Station 8 platform Shinkansen. I have made some sort of open platform barriers:

50859245248_14fb7e93ae_h.jpg
[/URL]

200H @ Hanyo Station

Last shot of Today. Driving from Hanyo Station to Shin Hanyo. With Mount Hanyo and Hanyo city in the background. This section is max 170 km/u due to the short distance (about 5/6 km) between the stations. On the right I reseved space for the future Colden Shinkanse connection. At this moment I review the options to rebuild the approach to Shin Hanyo Colden Shinkansen Station with the Hanyo connection in minds.

50859245178_cf4049c291_h.jpg
[/URL]

200 H set crossing Hanyo North River

That's it for today. Hope you like it . And I hope a description of my working method may help you to build your routes a tad more quickly :).

Last edited:
Very nice screenshots pagroove!

I have just a question: what is the asset name of the bridge in this photo? Is it avaible on the DLS?

These are the Concrete bridges I believe by Kenchiro. If you download the POB version of my route for TRS 2019 (on the DLS) you get al these assets with it). Plus a nice route to play on of course.

This is really good Pargoove. I may use 225, E257 or Seibu 40000 Series to be used as the limited express that'll run from Licaruco Terminal to Hanyo. I will use the E259 as an Airport Express when there will be lines that go to any Airports. So keep up the amazing work

Here are a couple more of Keimei's trains reskins, this time from a "new entry" company (for my website) : Keihan Railway's 10000 Series.

Keihan-10000-Series.png

Left: original livery (2002-2010) Right: current livery (2009-today)
(kudos to TreinspotterJeffrey for the very nice Keihin-Tohoku Line - I think i'll make all of my content screenshots on this route from now on - dull grey baseboards no more! - also, this might be one of my best screenshots yet)

It's already avabile on my website [here].

These were introduced in 2002 for services on Keihan Railway's Uji and Katano lines, where they were intended to replace worn-out stock (such as the 1900 and 2600-0 Serieses) and to allow one-man operation on said lines as well, in order to save operating costs.

Derived from the earlier 7200 and 9000 Serieses (introduced in 1995 and 1997 respectively) for Keihan Main Line local services, a total of six 4-car sets were manufactured between by Kawasaki Heavy Industries; the first three sets were made between March and April 2002 and the other three were made in 2006. The 10000 Series began regular services on the Katano Line on the 15th of April 2006.

While being almost identical to the 7200 and 9000 Serieses, the 10000 Series fetaured several improvements compared to it's predecessors, such as being fitted with a very modern IGBT-VVVF inverter (compared to the relatively older GTO-VVVF type used by both earlier trains), an automatically-adjusting air-conditioning system and UV-resistant passenger windows.

Originally delivered in a distinctive all-over teal green livery, from 2008 onwards, Keihan railway began standardizing it's trains' livieries, introducing a new corporate livery based on white, dark green and a thin lime green line dividing the two.
The new livery was to be applied to all of Keihan Railway's local trains, and the 10000 Series was no exception: the first set to be repainted was No.4, wich re-entered service on the 27 July 2007. The 10000 Series fleet was completely repainted by 2010.

While intended for both the Katano and Uji Lines, the 10000 Series however was primarily used only on the former, and at times even exclusively, such as between 2008 and 2013. As of today, however, the 10000 Series is back running on both lines, being used interchangeably with the newer 13000 Series.

In 2015, set No.1 was moved to the Keihan Main Line and extended from four to seven cars with the addition of three intermediate cars that became surplus when Keihan Railway decided to reduce the lenght of the Main Line's local service trains from eight to seven cars. Out of the three cars used to lenghten set No.1, two came from two different 9000 Series sets and one came from a 7200 Series set. In 2017, another 10000 Series set, this time No.2, was moved to the Main Line and lenghtened to seven cars as well.

As of today, all six 10000 Series sets are still in operation: Nos. 3 to 6 as 4-car sets on the Uji and Katano Lines and Nos.1 and 2 as 7-car sets on the Keihan Main Line.

Also, little notice: work on the DE10/DE11 are progressing - slow, but steady!

Last edited:
@duskeyduskey I know. I've also tried to repaint the E259 into a JR Hokkaido 786-2000, but the textures started to randomly go all over the train.

@AlexMaria Verry nice trains like always! I'm really glad to hear you like the Keihin-Tohoku Line! Also good to hear that the DE10/11 is making progress! Verry nice work!

I've never repainted a model before cause I never need to. Anyways, does anyone have dependencies? Anything is ok.

Last edited:
Btw, where did you get the EF210? Also, I'm back to using TS12 due to brake glitch and steam locomotive glitches. The DE series pretty much reminds me of the Alco RS 1 & 2 due to hood configuration. Also, I've noticed there's no correct bogies for the DD51. If I'd had them, I would've done that using the engine spec of the EMD E8 since it also have a pair of 12-cylinder (EMD 567C). and Since I've found Kenichiro's EF66. I'd like to try modifying it.

Last edited:
Back