Japan

Just to update, what routes is everyone working on?😛

Japan Routes Fantasy and Real status 2021

Routes: pagroove

route 1
Author : P.A.Groove
Name: Electro Island 5 for Trainz 2019 Platinium v 1.5
Sort of route: Fantasy

What sort of area and era are you modeling?

Contemporary (Year 1999 and up) Shinkansen, TGV, Mainline, Branchline, Metro.
Japanese/ European and USA/UK mixed rail route. Mainly Japanese and Euro

Region: Icarus Gulf
Status: Route is finished and on the DLS but later in the year I am planning some updates. Adding maybe some lines working on the East of Toshin Vally. Making Colden Skynet a better route within the map etc. This is in planning but it is not a high priority project because the main route is already released. I want to work on it when bored of my other routes.

route 2
Author : P.A.Groove
Name: Icarus Shinkansen v 2.0. for TANE SP3 and Up
(part Icaruko to Oga)

Sort of route: Fantasy

Contemporary (Year 1999 and up) Shinkansen, Japanese Mainline, Branchline, Metro, tram
Mainly Japanese

Region: Icarus Gulf
Status: Route is WIP. I release monthy building snapshots in this forum. Route finished 80%. To be later merged with Electro Island and other Icarus Region maps. This is currently my main project.

route 3
Author : Railshuttle, revision for Trainz 2019 by P.A.Groove
Name: S.I.R.L.
Sort of route: Fantasy. Renovation rescue project

Contemporary (Year 1999 and up) Shinkansen, Mainline, Branchline, Metro.
Japanese/ European and USA/UK mixed rail route. Mainly Japanese and USA

Region: Just south of the Icarus Gulf
Status: Route is work in progress. Mainly work on this when I want to work on something different.

From my 3 routes the Icarus Shinkansen v 2.0. is maybe released within 1 or 2 years. But a lot can enjoyed already because I now share my work monthly

Eventually when all routes are merged (I want to make all routes merge compatible) a Shinkansen ride of about 300 km distance or more should be possible albeit Fantasy.

That are my currently W.I.P's
:D

Last edited:

#1 CURRENT PROJECT: Sagami Freight Terminal + small part JR-East Tokaido Line

The route exists in real life

I wanted to make this route because truly one of my favorite locomotives, DE11 winch AlexMaria and I made a few days ago, shunts in this freight terminal. Other freight trains that run here are EF65, EF66, EF210, Etc... used for container trains.

Screenshots:

51051986583_e708be0715.jpg
[/URL]2021-03-16 163922 by Sanyo J, on Flickr[/IMG]
51051986673_490cb8ebc2.jpg
[/URL]2021-03-19 170729 by Sanyo J, on Flickr[/IMG]

#2 Tokyo Freight Terminal to Kawasaki Freight Terminal + Keiyo Rinkai Railway Kawasaki Branch Line

This route exists in real life

Screenshots:

51051982868_fb3dff70cc.jpg
[/URL]2021-03-05 155544 by Sanyo J, on Flickr[/IMG]
51051982773_c9236d11a5.jpg
[/URL]2021-02-16 195649 by Sanyo J, on Flickr[/IMG]

#3 Tokaido Line Nagoya (Obu - Kiyosu)

Status: 5% (Obu is done, but Obu to Kiyosu is a long distance)

Screenshot:

50758500358_c7c12c0db2.jpg
[/URL]2020-12-25 181700 by Sanyo J, on Flickr[/IMG]
50747433617_92c4306608.jpg
[/URL]2020-12-22 115937 2 by Sanyo J, on Flickr[/IMG]

#4 Hiroshima Freight Terminal + Senohachi Grade

Screenshot:
50871263197_8361b33618.jpg
[/URL]2021-01-24 102029 by Sanyo J, on Flickr[/IMG]

#5 Nagoya Municipal Subway: Tsurumai Line (Together with AlexMaria)

Status: 60% (Only still decoration has to be placed; Buildings, vegetation, roads, etc...

Screenshot:
51052733486_667842d611.jpg
[/URL]2021-03-05 160533 by Sanyo J, on Flickr[/IMG]

I've learned a lot more in my Keihin-Tohoku Line project. My new routes I'm currently working on, have got much more detailing, vegetation variation, buildings, etc...

I've learned a lot more in my Keihin-Tohoku Line project. My new routes I'm currently working on, have got much more detailing, vegetation variation, buildings, etc...

Nice,

One question though. The Keihin-Tohoku-Line is not mentioned as WIP. anymore Do you mean that you have stopped at the beta? I would have hoped that you slowly started to extend this toward Akabane and toward Oji station (one of my favorite stations) due to trams, main line and Shinkansen crossing above it.

Although It is a very challenging project because of many objects needed.

Biggest problem for Japanese builders in general is lack of buildings. And I challenge myself even more by restricting it to be a DLS compatible route which I sometimes find very difficult. As you can see in my screenshot of Yozaka it really helped that Rizky put at least some of the JPN House groups on the DLS. But sometimes I wish there was more. We especially lack Japanese flats and apartments and certain station types and overbridges. It would be nice if such buildings where on the DLS.

Last edited:
(Replying to my own post)
Most of them are wip.

Route 1
Route: Fukutoshin, Tokyu-Toyoko, and Minatomirai line project
Author: Me
Route length: Wakoshi - Motomachi-Chukagai (和光市 - 元町・中華街)
Line length: 48.5 km (30.1 mi)
50% done (Shibuya - Kikuna)

Route 2
Route: Chuo line project
Route length: Tokyo - Takao
Line length: 53.1 km (33.0 )
30% done (Tokyo - Nakano)

Route 3
Route: Toyo Rapid Railway, Tokyo Metro Tozai line
Route length: Toyo-Katsudtadai - Nakano (東葉勝田台 - 中野)
Line length: 47 km (29.2 mi)
45% done (Toyo-Katsudtadai - Urayasu)

Route 4
Route: Seibu Tamagawa line
Route Length: Musashi-Sakai - Koremasa
Line length: 8.0 km (5.0 mi)
99% done
Need more detailing

Route 5
Route: Kyoto Subway Karasuma line
Route length: Kokusaikaikan - Takeda
Line length: 13.7 km (8.5 mi)
80% done
Unfinished track

Last edited:
so at the moment i only know how to use alt or ctrl and also the mouse roll to zoom in and out when taking shots

but how do you take better shots other than that?

Finally, here's the last part of the "DE-megapack": the cute little DD16s!

DD16-pack.png

Top row, from left to right: JNR livery (both cold and warm region versions avaible), JNR Omiya works all-over red livery, JR Hokkaido Naebo works "large logo", blue-white-yellow and "HET" liveries and JR East Omiya works blue, blue-white, "Hokutosei" and green liveries. Bottom row, also from left to right: Wakasa Railway DD16, Hachinoe Rinkai Railway DD16, Nippon Paper (Iwakuni factory) DD521 and Denka's DS-6.

As with the other diesel locomotives pack, these are alreay avaible at my website, and will soon be avaible on treinspotterjeffrey's website as well.

[URL="https://www.socimi.it/dd16-diesel-locomotives-pack/"]JNR - JR Group pack
[/URL]

By the early '70s, the "smokelessness" program of JNR (the complete replacement of steam traction with diesel and electric) was nearing completion: steam locomotives had already been completely replaced on the mainlines by electric locomotives, on the branchlines by the DD13s and DE10s, and in the marshalling yards as well, courtesy of the specially-designed DE11s. However, there was one last spot remaining where steam locomotives were still in full, unscratched, service: those lines, "branchlines of branchlines", that had an axle-load limit even lower than the one of lines wich the DE10s had been painstakingly designed for. As such, on these lines JNR still had to resort to the already well anachronistic use of steam locomotives, specifically the last remaining units of the C12 and C56 classes, most of wich were already well over 40 years old. With all existing diesel locomotives designs unsuitable for the task, JNR eded up having to design a completely new one.

The new locomotive was intended from the start to be as much similar to the well-proven DE10s as possible, reusing the engine, bogeys, transmission and cab layout, as a matter to contain costs, make the designing process quicker and also to appease the all-powerful JNR unions, wich had always been quite reticent towards the introduction of new designs, as the workload of railwaymen increases with the entrance in service of evry new different type of locomotive or multiple unit (and this is also one of the main reasons why JNR had always tended towards somewheat of an "overstandardization" of it's designs).

Under the guide of Yukitaka Ishii, one of JNR's leading diesel multiple units designer (wich would later become JR Kyushu's first president), the design team opted for the easiest way: taking the bodyshell design of a DE10 and "squashing" it to their needs.
The first modification made was to get rid of the steam boiler for passenger car heating, wich would've been useless as these new locomotives were intended for freight service only (as a matter of fact, by then, steam locomotives were indeed used only on freight services: steam-hauled passenger trains had already been replaced by DMUs long before).
With the boiler gone, the locomotive's bodyshell could be considerably shortened (a plus for shunting services and for running on tight curves).
The new short bodyshell however meant the abandonment of the DE10's distinctive trait, the asymmetrical C-B wheel arrangment, wich was replaced by a far more conventional B-B arrangment, using two DT131H-type bogeys, wich were a lightened version of the DE10's "rear" two-axle bogeys.

Finally, the V12 DML61S-type motor and the hydraulic transmission remained roughly the same as the ones in use on the DD51s and in the DE10s, only with the motor output power lowered from 1000 to 800ps, while the transmission was "geared down", resulting in a maximium speed of 75Km/h for the new locomotives (compared to 85Km/h for the DE10s).

In the end, the designing team ended up with an almost tiny 11,8m-long locomotive with a total weight of 48 tons (an extremely light 12 tons per axle), wich compared to a standard DE10 was a full 2.7m shorter and full ton-per-axle lighter!

With the design finalized, production of the new locomotives, now classified as "DD16s" began in 1971, with the order split between Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Nippon Sharyo. JNR's Nagano works participated in the manufacturing process as well, building the first two units. In the end, a total of 65 DD16s was manufactued between 1971 and 1975.
Between 1979 and 1983, four DD16 units (2, 5, 4 and 13) were reclassified as "DD16-300s" and converted for snow-plough hauling, being fitted with snowplough cars derived from the ones of the DE15s, for snow-clearing services on the Oito and Iiyama Lines.

The first DD16s began services in 1971, as soon as they had been completed, replacing the remaining steam locomotives on branchline freight services. JNR's long-awaited "smokelessness" finally came in 1976, when all remaining steam locomotives still used for shunting duties were withdrawn (mainline steam services had already ended one year earlier). However, the "glory" of the DD16s was short lived: with the decrease in freight traffic on branchlines, most of the yet brand new locomotives became surplus for JNR's requirement. The situation worsened starting from 1984, when JNR began handing-over most of it's unprofitable branchlines to newly formed thrid-sector railway companies, further restricting the usage of it's DD16s.

In the end, most DD16s were withdrawn and scrapped prematurely. Only 19 units "survived" the privatization of JNR and were inherited by the JR Group, being split as follows: 10 units for JR Hokkaido, 4 units for JR East, two units for JR Kyushu and three DD16-300 units for JR West.

With their "mainline" services practically no longer existing, the few DD16s inherited by the JR Group were repurposed for shunting within railway workshops, in particular JR Hokkaido's Naebo works and JR East's Omiya works.
JNR had already placed in service one DD16 unit (no.36) in service as an internal shunter for the Omiya works, wich was fitted in an all-over red livery. After the privatization, DD16-36 was joined by DD16-20, with the two serving togheter as the Omiya works' shunters. Their livery was also frequently changed: DD16-20 had been seen wearing a blue, grey and white livery that followed the "pattern" as the JNR standard one (mirroring the blue livery of JR Freight's refurbished diesel locomotives); a an all-over blue livery with white cabs and finally, an "Hokutosei"-like blue livery with golden lines. DD16-36 instead could be also seen in a livery essentially identical to the "Hokutosei"-like one of DD16-20 but with green instead of blue, this livery having been inspired by one of the short-lived "Dream Space" joyful train. However due to their age, both DD16s were later replaced in their duties by a pair of HTM270 tractors.

On JR Hokkaido's side, the Naebo works used two DD16s as well, units DD16-26 and DD16-44. The first one was fitted in an all-over blue livery with a large "JR" logo on the sides of the "long hood" and a star on the sides of the cab (the star, or better the polar star is one of the symbols of Hokkaido), while DD16-44 was fitted in a white and blue livery with a yellow line. The two were later joined by DD16-48 wich was repainted in the "HET" ("Hokkaido Express Train") livery of the KiHa 281 and 283 that the locomotive often had to move within the works. All three DD16s were later replaced by a single DE10, unit 1741 moved from Asashikawa depot (wich was also repainted in the same "HET"-like livery as DD16-48), as the naebo works' internal shunters.
The two JR Kyushu units were used as "works shunters" as well, running within the company's Kokura Works, but without any "special" liveries - both kept their standard JNR-era livery until their retirement. Finally, JR West's three DD16-300 units remained in service as snowplough locomotives until their replacement with more modern "self-contained" snowplough units.

As of today, only one DD16 unit remains operable: DD16-11, wich is owned by JR East. It's usage is very sparce, as it is intended to haul special trains on non-electrified lines.

[contiunes from preceeding post]

Besides JNR and the JR Group, DD16s saw also service with two more companies: the Wakasa Railway and the Hachinoe Rinkai Railway - each buying one second-hand unit.

Wakasa Railway DD16

The Wakasa Railway bought DD16-7 in 2012 from the Railway Technical Research Institute (the agency tasked with conducting railway technology research on behalf of the JR Group), wich had been using it to shunt it's experimental trains at it's Kokubunji test center. The Wakasa Railway intends to use the locomotive as an helper for the steam-hauled tourist train it plans to operate, for wich the company has already bought a C12 locomotive (unit 127) and a rake of three ex-JR Shikoku passenger cars. However, as C12 127 is not operational yet, DD16-7 is currently unused, and is usually stored at Wakasa station. During special events, such as festivals or holidays, DD16-7 is avaible for "driving experiences": assisted by a driver, you can drive the locomotive for a short stretch on the station's premises.

Hachinoe Rinkai Railway

The Hachinoe Rinkai Railway bought DD16-303 from JR West in 2009, entering service on the railway on the 11th of December of the same year. It is currently still in service, virtually unmodified, and it's used interchaneably with the rest of the railway's fleet of diesel locomotives, hauling container trains back and forth from the port of Hachinoe.

Finally, the DD16 design saw also a relative success in industrial service, with two units having been built for two unusual customers: unlike other industrial railways, wich operate as separate companies from the industrial manufacturers (for example, the Seino Railway), in this case, both locomotives are owned by the industries themselves.

Nippon Paper DD521

This unit, manufactured by Kawasaki in 1976 is owned by Nippon Paper Industries, Japan's largest paper and paper-related products manufacturer. While externally it's practically identical to standard DD16s, DD521 is a little heavier, for a total weight of 52 tons (or 13 per axle) and has the driving desk only on one side of the cab.
Originally bought by the Rasa Co. (a chemical products manufacturer) as DD5201, it was used to haul hopper wagons to and from a mine. Later, it was sold to Takasaki transport (a subsidiary of JR Freight operating in Takasaki freight yard) before being eventually bought by Nippon Paper in 1999. Currently, it's used as a shunting locomotive at Nippon Paper's factory in Iwakuni (Yamaguchi prefecture), where it still runs to this day, shuttling freight cars between the plant and the San'yo Main Line.

Denka DS-6

Owned by the Denka conglomerate, a chemical company, the single DS-6 unit was manufactured in 1980 by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, a full four years after the last DD16 left the assembly line. Like the Nippon Paper DD521, while the DS-6 is externally similar to standard DD16s, it is also far heavier as well, with a total weight of 56 tons (instead of the 48 of DD16s). Several improvements were also made on the DS-6 compared to the DD16s: notably the cab was fitted air-conditioning, something highly unusual for a switching locomotive, let alone one for industrial service.

The DS-6 was bought for use in Denka's Omi Plant in Niigata prefecture, shuttling concrete and chemical produces from the plant to Omi station on the Hokuriku Main Line (nowdays the Nihonkai Hisui Line) until 2018, when it was withdrawn.

Soon after, in a very unusual occurrence (especially for a semi-unknown industrial locomotive) it was sold to a Thai company and shipped to Thailand, where it is now reportedly in service, hauling ballast and new rails for the double-tracking works currently in progress thruought the Thai railway network.

Nice,

One question though. The Keihin-Tohoku-Line is not mentioned as WIP. anymore Do you mean that you have stopped at the beta? I would have hoped that you slowly started to extend this toward Akabane and toward Oji station (one of my favorite stations) due to trams, main line and Shinkansen crossing above it.

Although It is a very challenging project because of many objects needed.

Biggest problem for Japanese builders in general is lack of buildings. And I challenge myself even more by restricting it to be a DLS compatible route which I sometimes find very difficult. As you can see in my screenshot of Yozaka it really helped that Rizky put at least some of the JPN House groups on the DLS. But sometimes I wish there was more. We especially lack Japanese flats and apartments and certain station types and overbridges. It would be nice if such buildings where on the DLS.

Thanks. You gave me an idea. So, actually, I stopped working on this project because I've got more experience building other routes now. But now, I'm going to continue working on the route and make the station of Oji, including a small part of the tram line (Toden Arakawa Line), I'm going to include the Tabata Yard (For locomotives, Shinkansen, JR-East), the Sumidagawa Freight Terminal and the station of Nippori (Joban Line, Yamanote Line, Keihin-Tohoku Line, Keisei Main Line, etc...). I will work in different steps: First laying all the tracks, then placing catenaries, signals and stations and finally, scenery. I will post an update of the route when the track laying is done. But the coming 2 weeks I have exams, so I won't be able to work on it now.

Thanks. You gave me an idea. So, actually, I stopped working on this project because I've got more experience building other routes now. But now, I'm going to continue working on the route and make the station of Oji, including a small part of the tram line (Toden Arakawa Line), I'm going to include the Tabata Yard (For locomotives, Shinkansen, JR-East), the Sumidagawa Freight Terminal and the station of Nippori (Joban Line, Yamanote Line, Keihin-Tohoku Line, Keisei Main Line, etc...). I will work in different steps: First laying all the tracks, then placing catenaries, signals and stations and finally, scenery. I will post an update of the route when the track laying is done. But the coming 2 weeks I have exams, so I won't be able to work on it now.

Nice ! :DI have some real pictures from Oji Station from my Japan 2018 travel. If you need them I can upload them on my Flickr.

I have a festive announcement.

Today the Icarus Main line reached Hanyo Station. So now the main line stretches all the way from Icaruko to Hanyo.

Following screens of very early WIP are from TANE SP3 Surveyor:

51058313373_84e39e5c64_h.jpg
[/URL]

TANE_2021_03_21_15_19_09_209
by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

This pic is on its side so North is Right. So that you can better see the Station Layout. :

51059121282_a4e4c15433_h.jpg
[/URL]

TANE_2021_03_21_15_19_02_868

Looking North:

This is very early WIP. All switches and signals on the normal line still have to be done:

51058313488_49175342a5_h.jpg
[/URL]

TANE_2021_03_21_15_18_56_054

Looking South toward Hanyo Station:

51058313583_3893ea479f_h.jpg
[/URL]

TANE_2021_03_21_15_18_32_918

This has to be the most unique and interest concepts of a Shinkansen Line. This kindof reminds me of the European High Speed Networks when operating in regional lines, that it operates regular trains too. I dont think I've ever seen this on a mainstream Shinkansen line besides the Yamagata and Akita lines.

Nono, with the Echizen Railway it's just a provisional arrangment, in other words, since works to construct the shinkansen viaduct were disrupting the Echizen Line, the railway was allowed to provisionally place it's tracks and run it's trains on the completed shinkansen viaduct to reach Fukui station (where the railway has it's terminus) until a new parallel viaduct dedicated for the Echizen Railway will be opened.

(Replying to my own post)
Most of them are wip.

Route 1
Route: Fukutoshin, Tokyu-Toyoko, and Minatomirai line project
Route length: Wakoshi - Motomachi-Chukagai (和光市 - 元町・ä¸*è�¯è¡—)
Line length: 48.5 km (30.1 mi)
70% done (Wakoshi - Kikuna)

Route 2
Route: Chuo line project
Route length: Tokyo - Takao
Line length: 53.1 km (33.0 )
30% done (Tokyo - Nakano)

Route 3
Route: Toyo Rapid Railway, Tokyo Metro Tozai line
Route length: Toyo-Katsudtadai - Nakano (æ�±è‘‰å‹�ç”°å�° - ä¸*野)
Line length: 47 km (29.2 mi)
45% done (Toyo-Katsudtadai - Urayasu)

Route 4
Route: Seibu Tamagawa line
Route Length: Musashi-Sakai - Koremasa
Line length: 8.0 km (5.0 mi)
100% done

Route 5
Route: Kyoto Subway Karasuma line
Route length: Kokusaikaikan - Takeda
Line length: 13.7 km (8.5 mi)
100% done

Very interesting! You have a lot of nice routes coming! I'm particularily intrigued by the Kyoto Subway Karasuma Line as it is one of my favourite Japanese subway lines. I was actually planning to make it by myself but it seems you've beaten me on time! I look forward to it!

Nice project! It's a good deal of work, but i think it'll be absolutely worth when your route will be completed! I look especially forward to see the Arakawa River crossing and Akabane Station! Just a quick question, have you considered to extend the route northwards to Omiya?

Also, good news: the final two missing variants of the "DE-megapack", the DE11-1901 prototype and the Mizushima Rinkai Railway DE701 are now complete and avaible for download on my website!

Here's the obligatory "family photo" - all 84 (+/-) variants in their full glory!

DEfamily.png

And now, after four months, 84 variants, 7.60GB of "working folder" (the ensemble of reference images, 3D models and stuff) and countless 3D polygons later, i can happily say that number 8 on my "i'd like to do in 2021" list has been brought to completion!

n8.png

And now said:
https://i.postimg.cc/90JYnBrd/n8.png[/IMG]

Thank you for your hard work. I will look forward employing this on the Icarus Region Network. I will plan some larger yards for it as currently only Awaji has a mini container Yard. For Icaruko there are several freight yards planned and also one in Kita Hanyo.

Has anyone heard of a station in Hokkaido called "Kami-Shirataki" station? News reporters say that this remote station stays open specifically for one Schoolgirl.
Details here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUqO5pWEYYQ&ab_channel=DailyMail

Also I recently just bought you're 105 Series and ended up having missing dependencies. Im gonna be posting the Kuids here so if you can post them that'll be nice. Thanks!
<kuid:438196:11909><kuid:438196:1420>
<kuid:668654:100055>
<kuid2:438196:1403:1>

Last edited:

A litte something I wanted to share with everyone. This was my favorite crossing on the Keikyu Railway.
This crossing was taken down when the tracks where elevated, but I have lots of memories of watching the trains go to and from Kamata Station onto the Airport line

Very interesting! You have a lot of nice routes coming! I'm particularly intrigued by the Kyoto Subway Karasuma Line as it is one of my favorite Japanese subway lines. I was actually planning to make it by myself but it seems you've beaten me on time! I look forward to it!

I live in Tokyo but I'm visiting my Grandmother's home for a while, she lives near the station "Kokusaikaikan" (Terminal station for Karasuma subway line) so I have a lot of info about it. Its not fully finished, I just need to set up the AI trains and the driver settings. I might release it as freeware (third party) but I need train cars, I cant find any Kintetsu or Karasuma line train cars (Kintetsu 9020 Series, Kintetsu 3200, and Karasuma 10 series). Also, they look very nice.
3220.jpg

600px-Kyoto_City_10_series_EMU_early_type_001.JPG

Kintetsu_3200_series_at_Takeda_Station_2013-12-14.jpg

Last edited:
I live in Tokyo but I'm visiting my Grandmother's home for a while, she lives near the station "Kokusaikaikan" (Terminal station for Karasuma subway line) so I have a lot of info about it. Its not fully finished, I just need to set up the AI trains and the driver settings. I might release it as freeware (third party) but I need train cars, I cant find any Kintetsu or Karasuma line train cars (Kintetsu 9020 Series, Kintetsu 3200, and Karasuma 10 series). Also, they look very nice.

I got you covvered! I was already planning for the Kyoto Municipal Transportation Bureau 10 Series, but i'll gladly make the Kintetsu 3200 Series as well!

A litte something I wanted to share with everyone. This was my favorite crossing on the Keikyu Railway.
This crossing was taken down when the tracks where elevated, but I have lots of memories of watching the trains go to and from Kamata Station onto the Airport line

Nice I have found the place where this crossing was on Google Maps. When did you live in Tokyo and for how long and when was that section elevated?

Back