Japan

38600503_1393477660796169_7392148404479983616_o.jpg

Nototetsu :D

Wow!! you actually got done with no crashes. I wish I was that lucky. Congradulations on completing it. It's also pretty cool you named all the stations mainly the minor ones. IT should help alot in the commuter sessions. Hopefuly I'll get a hold of TANE and check it out soon.

Listen kid stop trolling on purpose, your age doesn't excuse your manners... don't ask gimmie pig question like that, the JR500 will be available when ready, moddeling is time consuming and if you hate waiting well do it yourself

After 11 hours of work. Including composing my own music for the trailer. Here is the Trailer For my route Electro Island 4.0. for TANE. It is already on the DLS for SP2 and SP3. I hope it shows off the various areas of my route and the variety of rides you can have :D.

Hello people, I've just installed again TS2010 and I would like to get hands on some Japanese routes... Apart from the freeware "Nambu Branch Line", are there any other fully Japanese routes available out there? I've read something about Wakayama, but I would like something that would allow me to run all sorts of trains... Or at least the 103, which happens to be my favourite J-EMU. :)

Hello people, I've just installed again TS2010 and I would like to get hands on some Japanese routes... Apart from the freeware "Nambu Branch Line", are there any other fully Japanese routes available out there? I've read something about Wakayama, but I would like something that would allow me to run all sorts of trains... Or at least the 103, which happens to be my favourite J-EMU. :)

Well Keimei does have a Series 103 at the DLS...

Yep there’s some nice routes and payware too like the Yamanote line but with TS2010 that’s complicated

There should be avaible as freeware the Osaka-Kyobashi section of the Osaka Loop Line (Osaka,Tenma,Sakuranomiya,Kyobashi) by Reborn1928 and the Fuchuhonmachi-Nishi-Kunitachi section of the Nambu Line (Fuchuhonmachi,Bubaigawara,Nishifu,Yaho,Nishi-Kunitachi) by Rizky_adiputra a few pages back in this thread. You can run 103 series trains on both routes (vermillion orange 7-car sets for the first, yellow 6-car sets for the second).

I too have been looking for some freeware Japanese routes. Thank you for asking!

There should be avaible as freeware the Osaka-Kyobashi section of the Osaka Loop Line (Osaka,Tenma,Sakuranomiya,Kyobashi) by Reborn1928 and the Fuchuhonmachi-Nishi-Kunitachi section of the Nambu Line (Fuchuhonmachi,Bubaigawara,Nishifu,Yaho,Nishi-Kunitachi) by Rizky_adiputra a few pages back in this thread. You can run 103 series trains on both routes (vermillion orange 7-car sets for the first, yellow 6-car sets for the second).

I checked on the DLS for Reborn1928 but I'm not seeing anything. Do you know his KUID?

Gisa

Great Video pagroov!! Was wondering were you having any "overshadow" issues cause when I patched up trainz 12, All my trains and buildings were black untill I got really close to them. is there a patch or something that can fix that?

I too have been looking for some freeware Japanese routes. Thank you for asking!

I checked on the DLS for Reborn1928 but I'm not seeing anything. Do you know his KUID?

Gisa

It's not on the DLS, it's on his own website, the downolad link should be a few pages back in this thread. Altough it should also be avaible here, but i can't download it nor any other route.

http://kurohauptbahnhof.weebly.com/real-scale-route.html

Last edited:
Finally completed, the summer 2018 mega reskin pack is here!
It contains the reskins of rizky's 201, 205 and E231 series trains, with both refurbished original versions and new variants.

Notes:

- in order for the reskins to work, it's necessary to download and install the original trains (Yamanote Line E231-500, Nambu Line 205 series and Chuo Line 201 series), all avaible either on the DLS or at his website or both.

- to avoid confusion with older reskins, i suggest to delete the old versions first and then install the new ones.

- since it's a very heavy pack (267mb, 76 consists and 197 vehicles for a grand total of 273 individual files) i suggest, while content manager installs the content, to enjoy the reading below.

DOWNLOAD
Megapack

DOWNLOAD
Link removed due to kuid number conflict with newer releases. Newer version avaible on my website.

201 and 203 series enginesounds

DOWNLOAD
Link removed due to kuid number conflict with newer releases. Newer version avaible on my website.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1970's Japan, the National Railways (JNR) were deep financial trouble due to the debt accumulated from the construction of the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen and the growing building expenses of the Tohoku and Joetsu Shinkansen. They had to save money one way or another, so they initally closed lots of minor, unprofitable lines, but it wasn't enough. The solution had to be deeper, more complex and radical.

In an highly industrialized and urbanized country with little to no natural resources, like Japan (or Italy), electricity is expensive. Tremendously expensive.
JNR realized that the solution to it's problem was saving it, by massively introducing what at the time was the greatest innovation in electrical traction.

The current Chopper.

Bit of technical matters here:
A resistor is a component that partially dissipates current into heat, meaning that the current that enters a resistor is higher than the one that exits.
In a resistor-controlled train, such as the 103 series, to accellerate the resistors must be gradually excluded. In such trains the master controller usually has 4 positions: zero (neutral), series, semi-parallel and parallel (the latter three refer to the three different electrical circuit types), the motor imput current is ,thus, of 3 fixed values, meaning that accelleration is not gradual, and in certain situations it can even strain the motor itself. Furthemore it generates lots of heat, making it unsuitable to underground railways.

A Chopper instead is a component that, electronically transforms the input DC current from a steady value to a series of rapid pulses (also DC).
The shorter the interval between pulses (in terms of milliseconds), the faster the motor will get. The accelleration thus is extremely smooth and it does not generate heat, just only a constant high-pitched whine. The only disadvantage is that it's expensive as it requires precision-maufactured components.
It's a system first introduced in 1968 on the 6000 series of TRTA (later Tokyo Metro) and then subsequently adpoted by numerous (wealthy) private railways such as Tokyu and by Municipal Subways nationwide (wich did not have any funding problem, thus they could utilize what at the time was the most advanced technology, not only in traction but also in signalling and operation).

JNR lacked behind in this field, but in 1977, it was finally decided to introduce this new revolutionay system to the national rails.

1280px-JRE201OmeSpecialRapid_20101014_t7.jpg

A 4+6 car full-production 201 series set with the additional service rollerblind and the original pantographs on the Ome line, 2010.

Built by Toky Car Corp. (nowdays J-TREC) in 1977 and entered service in 1979 the 201 series prototype (classified 201-900 series) was a 3+7 car set destined to the Chuo Rapid Line (and inter-running services on the Ome and Itsukaichi Lines), wich at the time still relied on power-consuming 101 and 103 series trains.

Besides the new Chopper control, the 201 series actually changed little from the 103 series, as they both share similar bodyshells, windows, doors, bogeys, pantographs and air conditioning units. The other main differences was the upper front part, with it's distinctive black contour around the asymmetrical windows (derived from those of the prototype 591 series tilting EMU) desinged to enhance the driver's visual of the line ahead.

The mass production of 201 series trains began in 1981 and by 1985 both of the older trains were retired. The main difference between the prototype and the full-production series is that the 201-900 series had an additional "door pocket window" between the driver's door and the first passenger door (more or less where the "JR" logo is on the standard 201s) and had the running number (the three numbers to the left of the headlights, that identify the train service) black on a white backgrund, while on standard 201s they were the opposite, white on black background.

The master controller was also changed from the "vertical axis" one used on the 103 series to the "orizontal axis" type MC60, derived from those used on shinkansen 0 series trains, as they were easier to use for novice drivers and overall more comfortable.

Loved by railway enthusiasts, appreciated by commuters and drivers as well, they did extremely good in service but they were expensive to manufacture, too much for what JNR could afford, so production stopped in 1985, at 1018 cars built.
What was to become the national railways' standard train failed. It was the train JNR deserved, but not the one it needed right then.

Chuo Line 201 series trains were also provisionally used between 1986 and 1990 on the first section of the Musashino Line (Fuchuhonmachi to Shin-Matsudo), in a way that the same set could be used on both lines as they would run a Chuo Line service terminating at Nishi-Kokubunji, then the driver (and the destination sign) would change and 30mins later the same train would depart bound for one of the Musashino Line service.

Originally introduced with a plain front, starting from the early '90s some were fitted with an additonal roller-blind destination indicator for special services, and by 2001 they changed pantographs to the single-arm type used on E231 series trains.

The Chuo Rapid line was not the only one to get the 201 series trains, they were also introduced on the Chuo-Sobu line.

f0254519_9133135.jpg

Chuo-Sobu line 201 series on the "Sobu section" (western part, parallel to the Sobu-Yokosuka rapid line), 2001.

The 201 series trains were introduced on the Chuo-Sobu line in 1982, to replace the 101 series. Fitted in the canary yellow of the line, they ran until 2001, when they were replaced (along with the 103 and 205 series trains) by the E231-0s.
The prototype 201-900 series also was transferred to the Chuo-Sobu line in the mid-1980s.

A few years later, in 2007, the Chuo rapid line trains started being replaced by the newly introduced E233 series, with the last run in 2010.

The replaced trains were not scrapped immediatly, instead, they were moved to the Keyio Line, starting with former Chuo-Sobu trains in 2000.

201kei_keiyou_line.JPG

A former Chuo rapid line 201 series on the Keyo Line, 2010.

Altough newly opened in 1990, the Keiyo Line was operated with 103 series trains displaced from the Yamanote and Chuo lines, along with a minority of newly-built 205 series trains.

Altough the Keiyo Line's color is red the 201 series trains were fitted in skyblue, like the 103 series as the intent of the Keiyo Line (besides providing a faster route for freight trains) was to provide access to the sea, so the "Sky blue" of JNR became the "Marine Blue" of JR East, but it was then changed back to wine red to avoid confusion with the Keihin-Tohoku line (that passes at Tokyo station, where the Keiyo Line terminates).

The 201 series would again replace the 103 series, and by 2005 they were retired. The 201 series would continue to run on the Keyio line until 2011, when it was itself replaced by another E233, the 5000-subseries.

End of part 1A. Next: 1B - JR West 201 series

Last edited:
Part 1B

Tokyo and the Kanto area were not the only ones to get the 201 series, they were also introduced around the same time in Kansai.

01.jpg

Tokaido Line unrefurbished trainset, 2006-2007.

The 201 series entered service in Kansai in 1982, when they were intrdouced on local services on the Tokaido Main Line (Kyoto to Osaka to Kobe to Nishi-Akashi). Unlike their eastern counterparts they were formed in 7-car sets, even here replacing the 103 series.

In 1997 their service would be extended to the Kosei line north of Kyoto, to Ohmi-Imazu, this meant that the Tokaido line 201 series did the longest regular service of any other 201 series train at 155 Km in lenght (calling at all stations), altough the drivers were usually changed at Osaka station.

Starting from 2004 they underwent JR West's N40 refurbishment program, and returned in service on the Tokaido Line under a new, renewed aspect, altough it lasted little as the 321 series, introduced in 2005 replaced both the 201 and 205 series by 2007.

The displaced trains were again, transferred to an another line, just not an interurban, less-hevily used line. They were transferred to the Osaka Loop line.

top-image.jpg

It might sound strange to move an old train from an hevily used line to an another heavily-used line, but that's what JR West could afford as it's the JR Group company with the lowest network lenght/wealth ratio as it has to stand angist other fiercely competitive private companies such as Hankyu, Keihan, Hanshin and Kintetsu. Therefore it can not afford to make large-scale replacements like JR East or JR Central did, this is the reason why JR West is as of today still using a lot of former JNR stock.

Anyway, the 201 series were repainted into the vermillion orange color of the Osaka Loop Line, the one used on the 103 series trains, altough it was a little lighter on tonality than the Chuo Line trains. They were introduced in 2005, this time to supplement the ageing 103 series.

They are still in service as of today on the Osaka Loop Line, altought they will be replaced shortly by the 323 series.

Refurbished 201 series trains were also introduced on the Yamatoji Line, Osaka Higashi Line and Nara Line fitted in a lime green liviery with a white line, again to supplement the old 103 series.

Part 2A - 205 series introduction on Tokyo Main railway lines.

If the 201 series (and the JNR as a whole) with all it's efforts weren't to find a solution to it's debt problems, the government would, by privatization.

Therefore a commission ugently met to discuss a new way of saving money.
The problem of the 201 series was it's expensive control system so it was decided to go back to the resistor control, albeit improved with an additional "weak field" notch (by weakening the magnetic field generated by an electric motor, the efficency and speed of the same can be increased by around 25%), wich would save almost as much electricity as the 201 series.

The commission also examined the fields where the national railway was laking compared to other railways, and an another thing was found: stainless steel
bodies, need little to no anti-corrosion maintainance compared to standard steel trains.
Few additional improvements and finally the commission recieved an approval.
In just seven months a whole new train was desinged.

1024px-Yamanote_Line_205_series_set_30_Tabata_Station_20030202.JPG

Yamanote Line 205 series set, the second car is a 6-door one. Tabata station, 2003.

The 205 series was introduced in 1985 on the Yamanote line, to replace the 103 series in use since 1963 (fully replaced by 1988).
The stainless steel bodies were based upon those of the Yokohama Municipal Subway 2000 series and Fukuoka Municipal Subway 1000 series, and the resistor control was nearly identical to the one used on 211 series trains, intrdouced at the same time. The headlights were also moved from the top to the center of the body, to enhance visibility durig nighttime. Unlike their predecessor they were designed from the start to be equipped with the analogue ATC system found on the Yamanote and Keihin-Tohoku Lines.

Cheaper to produce than the 201 series, but with almost the same advantages, the solution that JNR was originally searching was found. But it was too late.

By 1986 the definitive decision to privatize and split JNR was passed by the Diet (japanese parliment) and by the 1st of april 1987, the new JR Group was founded.

JR East, the one stepping in charge of the railways from mount Fuji to the Tsugaru strait (incl. Tokyo, Nagano and Niigata areas) found that the 205 series was the perfect train, for what were it's needings back then, decided to continue producing the 205 series, rather than developing an entirely new train.

Originally formed in 10-car sets, they were later lenghtend to 11-cars following the "Yamanote line ridership boom" of the early 1990's. These trains were initially marked with a front sticker reading "11 cars", but as the whole Yamanote line roster became 11-car sets, the sticker was eventually removed.

The additional car was specifically designed for rush hour as it had 6 doors (instead of the standard four) and folding seating, that was folded during rush hours and unfolded during normal times.

The 205 series remained in service on the Yamanote line until 2005, when it was replaced by the E231-500 series.

saikyo205_02_90n.jpg

A Saikyo line train running along the Joetsu Shinkansen (200 series), c.a. 1990.

The first line to introduce the JR-East built trains was the Saikyo line, with the main differences between the JNR-built and the JR-built trains were mainly the door windows, small on the JNR ones, large on the JR ones.
This is because small door windows were said to prevent injuries to children who got their fingers trapped in the door pocket while lookin out the window, a fetaure first introduced on the Eidan Maronouchi Line 500 series.

The Saikyo line was built in 1985, along the Joetsu Shinkansen. This is because the construction of the Shinkansen was disrupting the lives of those living along the planned route (and as it has no stops it wouldn't benefit them), so as a compromise, JNR was allowed to continue construction of the Shinkansen, but at the same time building a new commuter line along it. When it opened, the "New Commuter Line" (as it was called) and the Akabane Line merged togheter to form the Saikyo Line (Saitama - Tokyo). When the Rinkai line connection between Tennozu Isle and Osaki opened in 2002, Saikyo Line trains started to run to Shin-Kiba.

The opening of a new link between Saitama and Tokyo, the urbanization of the Tama area and the growth of commercial buisnesses around Shinjuku, led to the "Yamantoe line ridership boom" of the early 1990s, when the ridership of the Yamanote Line skyrocketed to 250%.
The introduction of relay lines (such as the Shonan-Shinjuku Line and Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line) lowered the overcrowding to an "almost normal" 190-200%

6-car doors were also introduced on the line, and around 2010, the destination boards were changed from roller-blind to LED.

The 205 series would be replaced by the E233-7000 starting in 2013, with the final run in 2016.

e0091245_1413477.jpg

A Chuo-Sobu 205 series trainset, around 2000.

The Chuo-Sobu was to have it's fleet of 103 series trains replaced with the 201 series, but due to the production stopping, it was not the case.
Instead, the introduction of 205 series trainsets began, continuing where the 201 series left, but again they could not keep up the pace as there were lots of others, (relatively) more heavily used and being built lines in need of rolling stock. Thus not even the 205 series managed to replace the 103.

In 2000, finally the E231-0 series stepped in replacing not only the 103, but also the 201 and 205 series, all being retired by 2001.

Trivia:

In early 2000, there were a grand total of 6 different trains (103, 201, 205, 209-500, E231-900 and E231-0 series) from 4 different generations all runnig togheter on the same line.

img_1

A Keihin-Tohoku Line 205 series set on a local service. Early 1990s.

While the rolling stock situation on the Chuo-Sobu line was bad, the one on the Keihin-Tohoku line was even worse. Being an ATC equipped line, the 201 series couldn't run on it as originally planned (something that would be possible only retrofitting an additional space to place the on-board ATC system, a very expensive operation on an already expensive train).

Instead JR East choose to introduce in service in 1989, almost as an emergency mesaure, ATC-equipped 205 series trains, similar to those on the Yamanote Line. They were a good solution, but by then, it was time to develop an entirely new train.
Only 6 10-car 205 series sets entered service on the Keihin-Tohoku Line, and were used sparcely.
The new 209 series was introduced in 1993 and would replace both the 205 and 103 series trains.
The 205 series (60 vehicles) was retired in 1996 and moved to the Saikyo Line, while the 103 series (due to the far bigger number of vehicles - 830) was retired in 1998.

End of part 2A - Next: Part 2B - 205 series introduction on other lines.

Back