Japan

So hmmm guys...I have been thinking lately...since there isn’t any Shinkansen routes (apart from electro island and Icarus from pagroove) I wanted try and make a shinkansen Route. But I won’t add any scenery because is too far out of my range of building. But I don’t know which one should I build. Rather I would build a custom Shinkansen railway, which as a lot of straight tracks and etc. or should I build the Shinkansen railway on my world? (Which has 3 different big stations so you can say.) so which one do u want me to build? A custom railway or my shinkansen route from my imagination world?

Frankly, I consider Shinkansens to be rather boring. They look great, whizzing from station to station on a route with other, slower-moving trains (on other tracks, of course), but by themselves, they're boring.

Consider your example: Electro Island. it's a great route, filled with lots of other activities to do (switching, making up passenger consists, hustling commuters to/from work, etc) plus having an occasional Shinkansen shooting by, setting fire to the rails.

My opinion.

Bill

I don't see anything hilarious about a devastating typhoon flood affecting millions of people that Live on a low lying island

Well Said!

it is a total wipe out of Japan's economy.

[...]

few here can fathom the sheer extent of the destruction of Japan's economy.

Japan sees natural disasters such as this quite often (typhoon here, earthquake there...) since it has existed, wich means it has become a very resilient country, not just in economy but as a whole.
It suffered far worse disasters and it recovered from all of them.
Take a look at pictures from the 1995 Hanshin Earthquake: they look like a post-apocalyptic movie. Yet, they got back on track in less than half a decade.

I'm sure they will bounce back form this disaster stronger than ever!

They'll rather do this in a very Japanese way: rebuild up and get back to work - like nothing happened.

And havelange all of yall heard [...]

WHAT?

Frankly, I consider Shinkansens to be rather boring. They look great, whizzing from station to station on a route with other, slower-moving trains (on other tracks, of course), but by themselves, they're boring.

I concour.

Last edited:
Japan sees natural disasters such as this quite often (typhoon here, earthquake there...) since it has existed, wich means it has become a very resilient country, not just in economy but as a whole.
It suffered far worse disasters and it recovered from all of them.
Take a look at pictures from the 1995 Hanshin Earthquake: they look like a post-apocalyptic movie. Yet, they got back on track in less than half a decade.

They'll rather do this in a very Japanese way: rebuild up and get back to work.
I'm sure they will bounce back form this disaster stronger than ever!
Japan's Kyodo News agency reported that 48 people died from the typhoon, 17 were missing and about 100 were injured. The government's Fire and Disaster Management Agency, which is generally more conservative in assessing its numbers, said 24 people were dead and nine were missing.

It would be most difficult, or impossible, for the ones killed and injured, as it is really, really, is most difficult to: "Bounce Right Back", and "Rebuild Up and Get Back To Work":

In Hurricane Katrina, (and several other major hurricanes), The Paradise CA fire, (and many other major wildfires), you might find it extremely hard "To Bounce Right Back", and "Rebuild Up and Get Back To Work", when you are now homeless, penniless, jobless, insurance-less, automobile-less, severely or critically injured, having lost loved ones, or when you are very seriously killed, in one of these devastating tragedies !

It's not merely all about, cleaning the mud off, of all the cute little ol' wet Choo Choo's !
It's just a little bit bigger than that !

Last edited:
Shinkansen

I do not agree that Shinkansens are boring. If you are reading up on the history and thought that have been put into to make the system work then you see that Shinkansen is a thing of beauty. In my opinion it still stands in quality above most of the European High Speed systems and I say that as a person who lives nearby some high speed systems.

About 300 meter from my home there is a tunnel in Rotterdam The Netherlands where I can see the Thalys and Eurostar on a daily bases. I also certainly love those trains. The TGV always has a special place in my heart and when cycling to work I cross the tracks twice.

BUT

The system itself is far more inefficient than the Japanese Shinkansen. The effeciency of that system is unbeaten (only the Chinese are getting on that level now) due to a certain boringness in the system design. And the boringness comes from being it completely separated from the rest of the rail traffic.

Shinkansen in general got in general more boring due to the speed up campaign. That I will agree on. The era of 2003 (of which Densha de Go was modelled upon) was certainly more interesting. You could have Shinkansen 0 up to the N700 on the same track.

@ Rowletmaster

Try your own fantasy route. Start small and then expand upon it. Showcase it here and then it will flow. Making a real route is REALLY difficult. I believe even the Tokkaido Shinkansen project by Rizky is on a temporary halt but only Rizky himself can say something about it.

About the disaster:

The Tyhoon and aftermath certainly is a heavy disaster but I certainly believe they over come this. I've been to Japan in 2018 and the country is constantly under threat of disasters but they will rebuild. I've went to Kumamoto where they are rebuilding the partly destroyed castle from the earthquake in 2008 (I believe I have to look that up). But the rebuilding is impressive and they are refitting the castle with a concrete core. So on a technical level I believe Japan is perfectly capable of recovering from disasters.

The human story is of course a different thing. I've saw some interviews with the ones that where struck by this typhoon and they where heartbreaking.

Last edited:
@ Rowletmaster

Try your own fantasy route. Start small and then expand upon it. Showcase it here and then it will flow. Making a real route is REALLY difficult. I believe even the Tokkaido Shinkansen project by Rizky is on a temporary halt but only Rizky himself can say something about it.

so hmmmm, do you want me to build a custom Shinkansen route? Or the Shinkansen route that is from my imagination?

Rowletmaster: IT really depends. Fantasy routes are alot more leient as you can make up things on the fly or whatever your imagination comes up with. Following or making a route just like the prototype can be kinda fustrating as not all of the buildings or trackside objects may not have been made or don't exist anymore. My S.I.R.L route started off as a simple point A to B route and in 8 years grew into a massive layout.

Bullet trains aren't as boring as airplanes. All you see in an airplane are clouds and maybe a bird or two. If you're into freight operations then yeah a bullet train wouldn't be of must interst. Me, I'm into freight operations too but my inner speed demon craves high speed rail travel so I combine both intrest on my layouts.

The Typhoon was indeed a pretty major disaster but considering they manage to surive just about everything mother nature thows at them and the fact they got nuked in WW2 I'm sure, though it may take long on the humanity level, to bounce back. So if there is a relief fund, don't heistiate to donate what you can afford to help them out.

Ok then I’m just gonna make my imagination route then
oh just let to you know, the Shinkansen that you use in there will have special car configuration

Oh and also, can I have suggestions for different station names? Cuz my shinkansen route have lots of stations and I didn’t think a name for it

Here's 3 of them I know alot of fictional names but here
Akagawa
Nishi-Matsuko
Shin-Tamako

And please stop mocking me about what happened with the "HAvElaNGe" thing. It was the autocorrect. I'm on my phone.

Guys...i might need to give up on the Shinkansen route project already...
reason : is to hard to make my first terminal station without a JMA double track

Guys...i might need to give up on the Shinkansen route project already...
reason : is to hard to make my first terminal station without a JMA double track

Come on you can do better than that ;). With these sort of Projects you just start. Begin small and then expand. Don't give up already. Then use the JMA Single Shinkansen Track. Yes it is more tedious but with the B button you can make tracks straight. Jus start. That's all. If you even give up now then I can say with 100 % certainty that you are not up to completing your route.
Completing a route takes a long time so with routebuilding you are in for the long run. It then sort of helps if you are at least inspirated to start something.

I do Double tracks with single tracks. Just putting them in The Yellow and Gray lines. And if I make a curve that's 2 track I usually put the gradients side to side.

Fun fact about me is that I can finish Trackwork within a Week or 2 (Depends cause I have school.)

I do Double tracks with single tracks. Just putting them in The Yellow and Gray lines. And if I make a curve that's 2 track I usually put the gradients side to side.

Fun fact about me is that I can finish Trackwork within a Week or 2 (Depends cause I have school.)

so can you make the JMA shinkansen tracks into double tracks? It will be easier for me to build stations and etc.

Hi Rowletmaster,

To help you on the way. You can open my route Electro Island ( I believe you have that downloaded because I saw you making screenshots on my route) and then go into track>get track so you can get an idea which tracks I used. Make also sure you download all JMA tracks.

There are JMA tracks without Shinkansen bridges so you can make them your own. Double tracking is as simple as laying two straight stretches near each other. What you can do is place trains on them to measure the distance between them (also don't save the trains in the route).

What also helps is make a simple route sketch on paper or in a paint program and try to make that in Trainz. In my blog (which you can visit from my profile) you can find a map of my fantasy region. I made a map in Photoshop and then tried to model from that in Trainz.

Take small steps and then expand slowly. The nicest if you have the Shinkansen interplay with other routes. Like others have said. Shinkansen on its own can get boring quickly but in combination with slower speed tracks it becomes interesting.

In real Japan you also have the Tokaido Main line. This real line (the old one before the Shinkansen was built) crosses the Shinkansen several times leading to sometimes spotting the fast trains from the main line trains. And of course the Tokyo area is very interesting because of all those train types.

So try to envision a scenario like that or go rural and do something Hokkaido. Trainz has the tools to make your imagination real. Don't expect it to go quick. Building routes is a really painful process with a steep learning curve.

If you don't have the patience for that. (and I don't mean that in a rude way but really just as an advice) then you could maybe better take a look at Cities Skylines. Nowadays City Skylines has many mods including Shinkansen. You can see that in the following video. The only thing that is not realisitic that it is still a city builder and the trains go too fast. And the train operations itself are not realistic. But otherwise it looks terrific. I am quite tempted myself but I stay building my route in Trains

Last edited:
Well thanks for the advices
and I wanna ask, since you can just put 2 straight tracks and makes a duo track. Can’t I make a set of duo track in a item? Like(there is a track item call (2 track wood, which is basically another track item called 1 track wood but combined together as a duo track) I wanted to try and make the JMA shinkansen track just like the 2 track wood item. So how can I make the JMA track like the 2 track wood without using the paper blueprint ?

So, clone the two-track source and alter the tracks used in the config file. You won't be happy with a double-track, though. It cannot be straightened (any more than it is), doesn't work well around corners unless they are very wide radius, and sometimes signalling them is a bear.

Bill

Back