PRR Screenshots

I don't think so about the hump yard Matt. I Think I'm just going to keep it the way it is. The DEM is a fishlipsatwork DEM. Type in Renovo in CCP and you should find it?

Altoona once had plans for HS rail and electrification in 1929, a 12 track passenger station, and a Mill Run locomotive repair facility ... after the war all plans were binned, and Altoona slid downhill into decay, becoming the little city, that didn't

Altoona once saw over 300 passenger trains daily, and classified and weighed 10's of thousands of eastbound coal hoppers per day. In fact Altoona never had any pneumatic railcar retarders, but instead employed teams of railcar rider brakemen

http://www.altoonaworks.info/graphics/1929electrification_1.jpg

http://www.altoonaworks.info/graphics/1929electrification_2.jpg

Last edited:
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

And got a surprise that these now work.

Matt

Wouldn't helper pushers, be shoving against the "Crummy" ... making it easier for the helper locomotive to be cut off at the top of the grade ?

In Enola yard they shoved several crummy's up a short inclined caboose track, and when an outbound train needed a caboose, they released the handbrake on one caboose, letting just one roll by gravity down the grade, where it was coupled onto the westward outbound stopped train.

Last edited:
Most cabooses were very rugged shoving platforms, having 12" thick poured concrete re-barb reinforced floors, so they would not get whipped off the track on high speed curves

I am so mad that vandals burnt down the 1950 wooden caboose that once sat in the Horseshoe Curve parking lot, and started up a construction steam roller, and sent it crashing through the gift shoppe doors, and stole the bell off of the #1361 atop the Curve

Last edited:
Oooh, Renovo! I pass through there every year on my way to the annual family reunion. Good to see it's getting some attention!

Pennsy liked to add helper to the front and back, but the N6 didn't take kindly to being shoved . The older wooden cabooses would sometime breakup . Till the re enforced N5's and N8's it was the practice to cut the N6 out to the rear on heaver trains. That is the process I like to model . I know it wasn't always done, but the crew didn't like to ride in the N6's when being shoved by a couple M1 or I1's up grade. With the sturdier build N5 and N8's they would do as you stated, to make cutoff easier. The N5's and N8's still suffer crushing accident when the engineers didn't work together well.

After reading some of my Pennsy books. It was the practices to cut the caboose to the rear of the pusher engines on heavy trains Even later models due to crushing accidents from east to west . But not on the NEC or surrounding tracks with low grades But I'm finding little photo evidences of this

6112.1338575537.jpg

Matt

Last edited:
Here are some shots of my nearly completed Oil Creek and Titusville Railway which runs between Titusville and Oil City PA. I commenced this route in 2012, which I half completed in TS12. I am completing it in TANE to take full advantage of the seasonal change features. I have used Google Earth to reconstruct this route as accurately as possible.
041f59a700927cb888482822440538e5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
7f901990b69f6627b5d6b19e27ca8fea.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back