PRR Screenshots

Does anybody know were I can download the prr horseshoe curve route at or any of I am super confused as to were to get them at.

as for now, the only released one is
Cacaderailroads which is a dem only map with tracks on the dls, but no scenery

Mine will be available on my website probably summer of next year.

Scratchy's will be at JR roughly simillar to that time,

and Seth's I am not sure about.

since you are so into this route though, send me an email, I think I can get you something.

I gave a preliminary route to JackyG several months ago, so you might ask him.

I will be dogsitting (away from my GF) all next week, so I should be getting alot more done, without the "Ball & Chain" nagging me to "Get Off The Dang Computer" !

I will see what I can do this week.

PM me if you want.

I hate to do this but I was wondering if someone could make me a DEM map? (One that does the terrain and has the blue and red lines. I think thats what they are called?)? It would be about 30 to 35 miles long. If no I totally understand.

Jason:eek:

I could really talk you out of wanting a DEM ... but if you really want a DEM ? What is the route or area that you are requesting ? ... and someone that does have experience in making a DEM can help you.

My present DEM is well over 10,000 baseboards, and laying gradients and curves are a real chore ... over the flat baseboard method !

I could really talk you out of wanting a DEM ... but if you really want a DEM ? What is the route or area that you are requesting ? ... and someone that does have experience in making a DEM can help you.

My present DEM is well over 10,000 baseboards, and laying gradients and curves are a real chore ... over the flat baseboard method !

I feel your pain!!! The red and blue lines are great as a guide, and TransDEM will also drop in the track too, if you let it, but the TIGER data and the DEM data aren't dead-on accurate with each other, and you get some REALLY wild roller coasters that need fixed. My Mon Valley DEM is tough enough as it is, and it pretty much follows a river. I've got the N&W line that goes "cross country", and even cleaning it up as best as I can, I've got some 8% grades that I know are not right and need some cut and fill to knock them down. You're talking serious mountains on your part of the state, Cascade!

It is hard work on a game in a computer, with "undo" only a click away. I feel for the guys in the 1800s and early 1900s who had to figure out how to blast, dig, cut, and fill their way through (and under!) real mountains and over real rivers, valleys, ravines, etc.!!

I'm not really sure what I have right now in terms of size, but the Ten Mile Creek branch to Emerald Mine added a lot more work (about 25 more miles), and I've got more of that line (Manor Branch?) that goes out to Bailey Mine that is not merged in to it yet. Part of what I was doing this week is pruning unneeded baseboards and cleaning up the map itself.

Something that I've found out (the hard way), is if you start with TOO big of a DEM (especially for me when the ADHD kicks in), you start working here, then decide, "I want to work there" and you go crazy all over the map.

TransDEM uses certain references (in my example, I am using a MASSIVE DEM of Western Pennsylvania) to keep everything aligned. I have already merged two routes into one with a third "module" waiting in the wings to be merged in. If and when I finish what I have so far, maybe I'll work my way up to Pittsburgh. I'd like to work my way out the N&W line too, to wherever that takes me.

(See how the ADHD takes me off on a tangent?) Anyhow, point is, Cascade is right. DEMs make beautiful prototypical routes, but they also make monsters that you may never finish.

WELL I have always wanted to do the the old Pennsy St. Louis line from Vandalia, IL to Effingham, IL. To find Vandalia on a map you would follow I70 east from St. Louis, MO. It's around 80 miles from St. louis.

It's a pretty interesting section of line. Back during the Pennsy days you had the IC that crossed the Pennsy in Vandalia and Effingham. Then at St. Elmo (Where I grew up) which is almost right in the middle between Vandalia and Effingham you had the C&EI that crossed there. The C&EI paralleled the Pennsy to Altamont about 5 miles away then it swung north. Also in Altamont you had the B&O that crossed the Pennsy and the Wabash had a branch line that came into town.

If anyone wants I can post alot more information on this section of line.

I can lay track and curves no problem on grades. I've been tinker with that for some time now. My BIG problem is building terrain. I've been working at it for over a year now and I still can't build anything that looks believable.

Jason

Hi All: I'm a firm believer in doing all the terrain building from scratch..I think the reason I feel that way is, I want personal satisfaction in what I achieve..Bob Ross who was a famous Artist, I used to watch this guy religiously..He was a firm believer in "Happy Accidents" Which means, you take a chance on making something happen when you try something new and different..The self satisfaction is great..That is the main reason, too me, that Trainz has some nice tools and it nice to learn what they can do..
I like to take a new baseboard and play with it, to see what I can accomplish..My routes are all fictitious, so I do have an idea in general what I want to achieve..:wave: :wave:

The Curve route is not dead ... but things have been hectic ... GF telling me to constantly get off the PC ... her live in son a 29 y/o a substance abusing pita ... her PC having a hick-up failure/setbsck ... the Fishlipsatwork DEM has been regressed to May backup version ... the Larger 10,000 baseboard DEM is started, but incomplete ... I will finish this ASAP, and make updated versions.

This is a test route ... updates will follow ... let me know what it is like and update routes will follow ... truely I do not know how complete this rush job route is, but the updated route will be 2000 times better:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hob4yr2hx71825n

EDIT: This version of the route is rushed out ... and I am truely ashamed of its inadiquacies ... an updated version will follow this week !

Last edited:
Here we catch the Mixed Freight again at MG
stmsoccer_20110821_0003.jpg

rest of the pics here

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=850985&postcount=13168

Josh

cascaderailroad
it seems u are the only fan of prr and kept this thread alive
do i have permission to become fan of prr

cascaderailroad
it seems u are the only fan of prr and kept this thread alive
do i have permission to become fan of prr
? ? ?
What? you can be a fan of PRR, while i am too but not much really focused on prototypical route. I was a fan of PRR without asking cascade for permission.
But i like UP the most...:D:p
Franks with ketchup & mustard, Tony.

Back