PRR Screenshots

To all who help me out . A big thank you .

When I get fluster with Dreaming of Pennsy . And the other route . I try and tackle this monster . Why or how did I think it would be easier because I've modeled the PRR my whole life . Yea ..... easy :eek: But I like it :hehe: just when ya thought your out . it pulls you back in

Some more

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Kinda like the years been.

Matt

I believe "ALTO" tower was at one time called "K" tower.

C3sJcmz.jpg

scan_67.jpg

"BO" tower interlocking was up the hill at "SLOPE" tower, which was almost identical to "ALTO" tower design.

Alto tower is as accurate as what is available, at the moment.

I use Alto tower throughout my route(s) and it is acceptable.

"SPRUCE", and TUNNEL towers were very similar to "ALTO" tower design.

"ROSE", "ANTIS", "BELL", "HOMER", ALLEGRIPPUS" towers were all classics, and none survived.

Although many, many, different style towers were used on the PRR, and middle, mountain division, almost ALL are demolished today.

When they demolished MP109 "Rockville" tower, a massive classic brickwork structure, was obliterated for no good reason at all.

I suspect "AR" and "MG" tower may be laid to waste in the near future.

"MO" tower collapsed in it's movement to a park site, and was bulldozed.

Last edited:
Thanks .. The Alto comes closes to those you have posted . I was wondering if there had been an updated version I wasn't aware of . I'm using a mixture of towers . And the Alto builtin was my first disappointment with 2019 . I'll make do .

Matt

@railwoodman: Very good stuff, but, I must ask, are you doing the Middle Division which is part of the Eastern Region, or are you going west of Altoona via the Pittsburgh Division and Central Region of the Pennsy?

Philly To Pittsburgh ... Or from the Zoo interchange to Conway yard . It's a DEM on the DLS . <KUID:73500:100421> By jrfolco . Penn Station can be added past Zoo . And I might try to do something there . :confused: But right now just four tracks laird . with a lot to do . This route isn't the priority right now . Just need a break from the others . But it's hard to stop when I enjoy ridding PRR home rails :udrool:

Thanks for your comments

Matt

Hello Chief,

The Mountains, the Track Work, and oh ya, those Trains, are making my day........Great work Sir.............

And it's OK to take a break once in a while, and remind yourself, your not a Machine, there is still some Human in there that needs care once in awhile.........;)

Steady at helm then.........:wave:

Philly To Pittsburgh ... Or from the Zoo interchange to Conway yard . It's a DEM on the DLS . <KUID:73500:100421> By jrfolco . Penn Station can be added past Zoo . And I might try to do something there . :confused: But right now just four tracks laird . with a lot to do . This route isn't the priority right now . Just need a break from the others . But it's hard to stop when I enjoy ridding PRR home rails :udrool:

Thanks for your comments

Matt

Oh, so you're doing the Philadelphia Terminal Division, Philadelphia Division, and Middle Division of the Eastern Region and the Pittsburgh Division of the Central Region. Awesome!

Anyone know of a better alternative to the builtin Alto tower ? I'm looking for one a from the glory days :D . Thanks

Pic Removed

Matt
I'm looking for a good model to represent Jacks tower in Mt Union - late 1920's - 30s is the preferred time period. I also need Lewis and Hunt towers for the ends of the piece of the middle division I've included with my EBT route.

I found a few PRR towers on the DLS. I picked the one below as a stand in for Jacks til a more faithful representation comes along.

PRR-Jack%27s-Tower-Mt-Union%2C-PA.jpg

Bob Pearson

PS. [EDIT] Matt, I think you asked if we're using the same dem a few post back. I thought you might be using one of jrfolco's dem only routes and you just confirmed it. The terrain I'm using is one I made with TransDem and 10m DEM data I dl'd a few years back. Actually very similar to a version of the route I created using HOG and MD for TRS04 but that had a mix of 10 and 30m data. It lacked some of the definition of the man made cuts and fills and river and stream beds that the new data has.

This is a pic of the current track route. I used a 5 baseboard filter width - and I still get areas where I'll need view blocs to hide the sides of baseboards cut into the mountains. What's in the pic is a filter width of 7 and too many baseboards in most places. I'm going to try to reduce the total number and selectively add in baseboards as needed for the "mountain" views by drawing in fake track with the TransDem route editor before exporting. A trial and error approach at best I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Ya know ... Sometimes it take a hit in the head to see whats right in front of you . Bob , thanks for that . Yea , fits the bill exactly .

I will have the same issue with baseboards . But it have to wait for ladder .

Matt

Great shots guys. I'm really enjoying all the progress that is being shown.

Banks tower looks to be a good stand-in. Some photos seem to make it less square and more rectangular. I wonder if you'd be closer if you merged two together to get more length to the building. Just thinking out loud, but then it wouldn't be a separate kuid and not uploadable.

Looking good! :cool:

...Banks tower looks to be a good stand-in. Some photos seem to make it less square and more rectangular. I wonder if you'd be closer if you merged two together to get more length to the building. Just thinking out loud, but then it wouldn't be a separate kuid and not uploadable.

Looking good! :cool:
Yes Banks was and also Jacks - check the pics linked here and here of Jacks tower in late Pennsy and Conrail eras.
The bay windows on 2nd story front on Jacks were also a key feature. I think this was a common design on the Pennsy. I've seen a number of pic of towers with this.

Jacks was set right on the Juniata R. bank as can be seen in the 2nd pic where the foundation level is exposed. Prior to 1905 it was on the other side of the tracks and I think it was designated MU for Mount Union before the system wide track re-alignment to avoid grade level crossings. I'd have to check the history to see when the name change actually occurred.

@Matt, would you happen to have a kuid for the stone arch bridge in the last post? It looks like it would fit right in for the "new" replacement over the Juniata going into Mt Union built in 1905. Bridge is still in use but has had some concrete reinforcements added over time. But back in the 1920's and 30's it looked a lot like that.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Bob these are what I'm using sir

<kuid2:132952:100952:13> SAM VS Culvert 12m v2
<kuid2:132952:101000:13> SAM VS Bridge 12m v1
<kuid2:132952:100607:4> SAM VS Culvert 12m v3
<kuid2:132952:101020:13> SAM VS Flyover 6.6m v1
<kuid2:132952:100950:13> SAM VS Viaduct 12m v3
<kuid2:132952:101022:13> SAM VS Flyover 12m v1
<kuid2:132952:101129:3> SAM VS Retaining Wall 20/20 Ballast
<kuid2:132952:101021:13> SAM VS Viaduct 6.6m v5
<kuid2:132952:101023:13> SAM VS Viaduct 12m v5

I wish I could make all the towers ever used on the Pennsy . But I'll make due with what we have . Begger's can't be picky . Heinrich505... Thank you for your comments .

I haven't the posted shots of the Eastern part of this route , Because the Cat and Station's are taking a lot of time to master . But I hope you all like what's done .

Matt

Last edited:
Back