PRR Screenshots

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Matt

Railwoodman,
Those are really nice screenshots. I especially like the one looking out of the signal box. Very nicely composed.

Things look very nice in this stretch. That trackwork looks really sharp. Nicely done! :cool:

Heinrich505

Hey y'all,

No screenshot for today, but wanted to get some feedback. Another PRR enthusiast had emailed me awhile back about merging my route with JRFolco's PRR Pittsburgh to Altoona. Now that I have 2019, and got the route downloaded, it is a phenomenal route. So I tried the section from Nealmont/Tyrone Forge to Huntington, and my route is about 100m north of his route. I am going to see if I can adjust my DEM to match his. Which means the 70 odd miles of completed grade between Cumberland, MD and Reynoldsdale, PA will have to be redone. On the other side, I'll be decades closer to finishing. My thought is to break my DEM into smaller pieces, and see if there would be takers for some of them. For example: H&P - Hollidaysburg to Petersburg; New Portage - WYE to Benny; Bellwood Branch; Bald Eagle - Tyrone Yard to the US 220 & US 322 interchange; etc.

I like how the scenery was done on the Pittsburgh to Altoona route, and if we followed his lead, then we'd be a lot closer, and have scenic continuity.

I would name them "PRR Pittsburgh to Altoona - Tyrone to Huntington extension."

Just food for thought.

Last edited:
I was going to create my own modern era "Altoona to Johnstown" (my reduced version of JRFolco's Pittsburgh to Altoona DEM) for TANE, I just don't feel like continuing it because I'm carried away with my other creative projects (mostly non-Trainz related), but I think what you're doing would be interesting. Just go for it and this community could have its own version of the PRR Eastern Region Route (for MSTS/Open Rails).

I would say the more the merrier on creating the route from wherever to one desires . PRR1361 .......I have your DEM's and have merged RRFolco's to yours . But That was with my older PC build . And with the new build I have been trying to fix issues that have popped up . My plan was to do a version of the route as in the 1930 to 1950's . And as is today . I'll be happy to get the first done . But the work and my knowledge of the PRR has been tested . My work on JRFolco's Philly to Pitt has been a joy and pane at the same time . Whether to go into details of section of the route is a ongoing with content not being available . I make do . Running the route is an hour minimum , but I run a lot of trains . Just in the yards I can spend hours . :hehe:

I like any input or opinion on any part of the PRR . Tricks or something like to see .

Matt

My ramblings:cool:

Matt,
Your work and the work of others is really amazing. I love seeing the screenshots of progress. It's great to see the interest in the PRR.

As you asked for feedback, I would love to see Philly to Pittsburgh finished first. Once that is finished, or maybe even mostly finished and leaving some detailing to others as a WIP, then you could think about branching out with the other parts of the division that connected to the main route. If you stay focussed on the main connector, you won't get overly distracted by starting work on additional tentacles that spin off from the "Monster." For the moment, you could include short trackage that headed off to these other divisions, and have a portal (if portals ever get fixed) representing them.

You could spend a lifetime just working the Philly area, including the main port yards and the other routes heading off towards New York City, Bethelehem, Reading, and even southern Jersey. Some of the North East Corridor Route might help branch this area as well. It's easy to get overwhelmed and burn out. My suggestion would be to forge on with focus being Philly to Pittsburgh. Just my two cents.

The other routes that branch off could be set up as mergeable, or just left as separate routes to save space or make it easier to download. As you noted, I think it is a good idea for anyone thinking about working on the additional parts of the division to use similar scenicking items and trackage, in the possible event that they could be merged into the main route.

Regards,
Gary

So, after a lot of trial and error (mostly error), here presented is the first part of my "Pennsylvania Railroad Suite of Lines." This is the section running from Tyrone (Birmingham) to Huntingdon. It includes the junction with the H&P Branch (as far as Alexandria), and the Huntingdon & Broad Top RR yard. This shows the joint line between JRFolco's route and mine. I just uploaded my route section, and it will be a day or so until it is on the DLC.

The title is: PRR Pittsburgh to Altoona - Tyrone to Huntingdon Extension <kuid:318195:100550>

A-merge-with-PRR-Pittsburgh-to-Altoona.jpg

Thanks to all of you your for your feed back. I do enjoy seeing everyone's screenshots.

Matt, this change in direction for my route will hopefully make it more enjoyable for everyone.

Gary, you mentioned about Philadelphia, I do have a route to share, it is Paoli to Greenwich Yards, it is set up to be my "staging area" for the Bedford Division route. I transferred it from my Trainz2010 straight into Trainz2019, so yeah, umm, it'll be a bit sorting that out yet. After working on ZOO, Altoona looks like it won't be that difficult LOL.

~Alan

PRR1361,
Alan, I dare say that most anything would be a lot easier than working the ZOO. That is one very aptly named section of the railroad!

My hat is off to you, sir! I didn't know that anyone had tackled the Greenwich Yards. Interesting.

Gary

Alan, ah yes, those are really nice. Thanks for reminding me about them. The ZOO looks wild, of course, and very complicated with the underground sections. Digholes can be such a pain.

Seeing the Greenwich Yard was also neat. Put a smile on my face. Having looked at the renditions in Triumph Vol. III, your recreations are quite faithful.

Gary

Gary,

Thank-you, the Triumph series are my go to. I spent a lot of time studying ZOO and Greenwich. Ben Dorsey's rotary dumps work well, it took some ingenuity to get the hopper timing right and using invisible locomotives to feed the cars. In Trainz10 it was a mixed bag whether the system would work or not. I haven't had time to try it in 2019 to see if it works any better. ZOO and digholes:confused::eek: I have ZOO functioning enough for my purposes. East and West traffic, and northbound from 30th street. Most everything is in place, it was driving me a little crazy, LOL.

Alan

Last edited:
A working Zoo . WOW . I just started doing the rough for it . But it's still a long way off till I'll have trains running thought . Well I'm still working on getting all back to the way I left it before the rebuild . But Altoona's starting to get there ,

A little WEST today to start .

I hope all are well

Matt

Great shots, Matt. What a cool choice of engines. :cool: A rather rare K4 with large smoke deflectors. It looks so cool with the large elephant ears. That happens to be my favorite. Thanks for posting!

It's always fun seeing Altoona.

Gary

When-retarder-don%27t-work.jpg

Testing Greenwich Yard before releasing it, only to find a retarding isn't working properly. Not a show stopper. I just uploaded the route and session, and once approved it will be available. If some of y'all download it, I'd appreciate the feedback. It is a work in progress, but functional. I uploaded it in Trainz12, being the less fickle to get it running.

I recommend a good nights rest, Army strength coffee, and crank-up the volume on some bluegrass gospel music. Paint dries faster than this session runs:hehe:

Route: PRR Philadelphia Division NED DEM TS12 <kuid2:318195:100552:1>
Session: Philadelphia Greenwich Pier TS12 <kuid2:318195:100555:1>

PRR1361,
Will it run in TANE or TRS19? I know you mentioned Trainz12 and they both show that in the title line, but I haven't got that. Just thought I would check ahead of time.

You are going to need a crane, I think. :eek:

Gary

Matt, if you get lost at ZOO you'll fall through the baseboard:eek: yes, getting lost between Broad Street and the Delaware River is for realz.

Gary, I do have 2019, I did load it into 2019 from 2010, and it doesn't like the old path commands, and I'm not totally sure about shunting yet. The ddc commands do work. Feel free to try it, I was having difficulty in figuring out what all the problems were, but there will be some simplicity with the 2019, being able to use the Interlocking Tower rules instead of the set junction rules. Sorry I don't have an easier answer; now that it functions in 2012, now I'll migrate it to 2019.;)

I have received the official e-mail, it'll be posted in 24hrs.
Alan

Last edited:
Very neat. I'd love to check it out. If I read you correctly, what is about to hit the CM is the 2010 version migrated to 2019, and the 2012 version migrating to 2019 is yet to come. but might work better.

It all sounds very promising. :cool:

Gary

Back