PRR Screenshots

I have both . And Like Both . But I'm not sure which I shot . The trains an old consist I just wanted to test the pulling up grade .

Matt

Cessna%2C-PA-PRR-Bedford-Div.jpg

Cessna, Pennsylvania. Train #6372 "Cumberland Mail" (Altoona, PA - Cumberland, MD) waiting the 9:43am departure time.

"Cessna History:

At the beginning... Cessna was developed at the northern end of Dunning's Creek Railroad. This was built as a branch of he Bedford & Bridgeport RR to connect to deposits of iron ore and other natural resources owned by John Cessna, John Lingenfelter, and others.

Cessna - In Bedford Township, on Dunnings' Creek Branch of Bedford Division of the PRR, 6 miles north of Bedford, on the Hollidaysburg road. Has one store, tannery, roller grist mill, church, school house, steam saw mill, and 17 houses in the vicinity of station. Has no passenger service but is one of the heaviest shipping points on the Division." ~ http://www.pa-roots.com/bedford/townships/cessnahis.html

Taken over a period of days, PRR Publicity photographer William Jameson attached himself to one particular PRR crew, that of the Decapod #4523, which was working a coal run. He rode with the crew for several shots, and set up for other shots to take pictures as 4523 drove past locations that he had scouted out. The weather was only partially cooperating, as the pale sun made for some washed-out sky views, but Jameson admitted that this was better than the rain that had been forcast during this time period. Some shots may have different lighting as they were not all taken on the same day.

foLhMGnX_o.jpg

This shot was taken from the signal tower at the beginning of the run.

Jameson had to scramble over the coal to get to the doghouse area for this shot. It is taken a day later and in the same area as the shot from the signal box.

zo67T0Cj_o.jpg

Ever one for dramatic shots incorporating shadows, Jameson took this shot from behind the driver, after scrambling back across the coal tender and into the cab. He had to hurry to get this shot. More than once, the crew thought they were going to lose their photographer over the side. It was remarkable that Jameson got such clear shots, as the crew described their engine as bucking and pitching like a nervous racehorse as they crossed the bridge.

lIDReDuV_o.jpg

Taken several days later, the lighting has changed for this shot. Jameson took note of various areas on his trip, that he felt would yield good shots for promoting the PRR. In this shot, he wanted to catch "his crew" passing with several bridges in the background.

RWNeCnwe_o.jpg

A day later, with the sky still grey and threatening to rain, Jameson has stationed himself at the base of a viaduct and taken a shot upwards as "his train" passes by.

5WGn6CAh_o.jpg

While riding in the cab, the train was stopped by signals. Jameson started to hop down, and the crew yelled that he only had moments before they were supposed to start back up. Jameson took the chance of being left behind by his anxious crew, but figured he had time for a quick shot. A yard worker stares at him in amazement, not aware that he will be preserved in a PRR promo shot for posteriety.

Jameson wanted to catch the power and size of these amazing engines with a close-up, but he had only grabbed his black-and-white film camera, so the shot was not in color. With the grey sky that day, it was just as well.

OE3ulU2J_o.jpg

Knowing the schedule for 4523, Jameson picked a signal tower for his next shot, a day later from the black-and-white shot. This is in the same area that the previous shot was taken, but now from elevation as the train passed under his location. He did get seared a little from the engine exhaust.

11dFBiY5_o.jpg

Returning again, yet another day later from the previous shot, Jameson now catches 4523 as it crosses the bridge at speed. He liked this spot on the bridge, as he was able to give the viewer an idea of the length of the train. Again, he had to deal with the grey sky, but in this case it seems to accentuate the detail of the engine and colors of the hopper cars.

ISJuWGva_o.jpg

Heinrich505 ...... Was the story a first hand account ? Vary entertaining with great shots BTW :D . PRR1361 .....I'm always wanting to see more of your work .

Matt

Railwoodman,
Thanks for the compliments. Just a fictional recounting, as the real photographer of the PRR was William Rau, and to some extent Abram Brown. I believe there were others as well.

It was fun to imagine being a photographer for the railroad and Trainz lends itself so nicely to taking screenshots of the amazing routes you route-authors create.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Heinrich505

Back