PRR Screenshots

I couldn't be completely sure , I believe it's a N5f . But the cupola doesn't look correct in my mind . The N5 sires had a lot of varying stiles .
NHC627.jpg
N5-yellow-handrails-1.jpg

Matt

Last edited:
UcycXUz.jpg

MICsq4f.jpg

sguOyQs.jpg

HAZa93l.jpg

TXaFAia.jpg

Well after a long vacation to the Poconos and Virginia, it was nice to get back home and take a trip down the Wildwood Branch. Great shots everyone, keep it up!

Yours, Qaz

This Cresson Lower Yard has been the most difficult so far

As this was a coal branchline storage yard, I would presume that no kersosene lantern switchstands were used, and that metal yard target switchstands were used here. Kerosene lantern switchstands must have cost allot for fuel, and would have required allot of switchman hours to replace wicks, trim wicks, and fill with kerosene, so branchline use would have been un-needed, as there was not allot of freight traffic daily.

South Fork Yard and Cresson Upper & Lower Yard(s) still need switchstands to be applied

6e7a2b4790940e0c0df1804f132f9b3b.jpg

79583ffa7d40d65c6af19e61274dd570.jpg

7d341b96aa5fe7e52416bb2582674539.jpg

54df72916fb6400c2cdd8214c6241164.jpg

500f31c01aa24e487952c207d2e7837a.jpg

Last edited:
You are killing me here :mop:

Again trackwork , fantastic .

On the lanterns ? I had thought Pennsey's thinking was for around the clock running . And Altoona was one of the busiest yards ?

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Matt

I would think that any important track, that saw many, many trains daily, and especially saw several trains at night, these major turnouts would have kerosene lanterns ... and any track that was very seldomly used, had metal flag turnouts, like unimportant yard tracks, and branchline yards, that only saw possibly one train daily, or maybe only several trains per week. Keeping each and every turnout lit up, with kerosene lanterns would have cost a huge fortune in lamp oil, wicks, and switch maintainers time ... costing millions of dollars ... just like each and every yard track being lit up with signals ... it just wasn't done ... and allot of unimportant tracks were dark, with no signals, or switch lanterns.

When talking about cost of overhead to the Railroad , I would agree . But labor was vary cheap , along with kerosene . And speed of operations , or time saved by knowing what way a switch is thrown . would be a factor . I know that section of the Delmarva Peninsula had lanterns , on tracks that were lucky to see a train a day ? I've read that many were just simply left unlit , and that the lenses reflectiveness would suffice . But why lanterns instead of flags ?

21200749_10159436091365637_8042745637733073139_o.jpg

Matt

Back