Saving work

Richard_Dodge

Hello to all. This has been asked before but here goes. What is the best way to save the work that has been created? I am using TRS 2006 SP1.
Have a good day and thank you all for your answers.
Richard

When you are done with your route in surveyor for the day...I usually save my work by using "surveyor options" drop down box, "save as", and rename the route something like 3-4-09. Then do it again "save as" "3-5-09". Now the route has 2 backups in case of catastrophic deletion. Always work on the last route (date-wise). And re-name the route everyday as the next days date Ex: "3-6-09". Sooner or later you'll have a whole slew of redundant obsolete routes and you can delete all but the last 2 or 3 latest dated routes. Saving the previous days work as a backup.

As for saving externally on a External hard drive...I Dunno whether this works ?

Or to a USB flash drive memory stick...I also Dunno if this would work ?

Last edited:
I just save by holding down the CTRL key and pressing S (Save)
You can also save by going into quickdrive mode or leaving your route.
I also have autosave on. You can turn it on via Options in the first menu.

Saving to a different HD works, but I wouldn't do it daily. I back up my Local folder to an external HD monthly.

In addition to saving locally within Trainz, I also make a seperate backup of my content to a CDP then copy the CDP file(s) to another hard drive for eventual burning on to a CDR or DVDR for permenant backup.

I think of the local copy as the "scratch" version that is being worked on, and the backup copies as current active versions. Each one of these backups is useable at the stage of the backup so it's easy to go back at any time without missing too much other than my current work and some wasted time.

This method has saved my butt a few times because I was able to backtrack and recover from major changes. If I plan on doing any major updates to my route, I will make an extra CDP file first so I can recover even quicker.

John

Thank you to all who responded to question pertaining to saving work.
I will certainly look onto each suggestion.
Have a good day.
Richard

You're welcome Richard, thanks for acknowledging the suggestions, that shows real class! It's a bit anti climatic when a person posts for help, then disappears!:)

Back