North Central Colorado

JimDep

Welcome!

This thread is for sharing screenshots, maps, historical/current photos and discussion of railroads of the North Central Colorado region, past and present.

The NCC (North Central Colorado) region has been a WIP over the last few years and the short term goal is to have a portion or portions available for the DLS.

Two routes are WIP of the same region, one from 1954 and the other is within the last decade. The railroads featured from the past are the Colorado and Southern (C&S), Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, Union Pacific and the Great Western Railway shortline.

The current Railroads include Burlington Northern Sante Fe, Union Pacific and the GWR shortline (now owned by Omni Trax).

The southern boundaries of this route extend from Longmont, CO - Front Range Subdivision
GWR - Longmont Branch

Platteville, CO Union Pacific - Greeley Subdivsion

The northern boundary of the route is the Cheyenne, Wyoming area
including the UP and BNSF yards.

The current divisions included are:

BNSF :Front Range Subdivision and Black Hollow Branch
UP: Greeley Subdivision (partial), Julesburg Main (partial), Fort Collins sub (Buckeye Branch) Dent Branch (partial)
GWR - All

The 1954 version includes:

C&S : Front Range Sub (partial), Arkins Branch (Loveland), Rex Branch, Black Hollow Branch

UP: Greeley Sub (partial) Julesburg Main (partial) Briggsdale Branch (partial), Fort Collins sub, Buckeye Branch, Dent Branch (partial)

GWR- all, including the Eaton branch (now abandoned)

Yards included:

BNSF - Longmont, Fort Collins North Yard, BNSF Cheyenne
UP - LaSalle, CO and Cheyenne, WY
GWR - Longmont, Loveland, Johnstown, Milliken (Hillsboro), Windsor, Officer Junction (Kelim), and North Yard, Fort Collins

C&S (1954) Loveland Yard and Fort Collins West Yard,

Main Industries:

(1954) - sugar beet factories and dumps in this region - various livestock ranches, many feed & grain businesses, limestone, coke and coal coming down the Rex branch for sugar beat factory operation,
rock quarries, and plaster manufactured and delivered from the Arkins branch.

Current: Anheuser-Busch, Kodak, Ranchway Feed, Universal Forest Products of Windsor, Golden Tech of Johnstown (manufacturer of corn starch) Loomix liquid cattle feed, Johnstown Feed & Seed, Quebecor of Loveland (printing business), Rawhide Energy, Borie oil (Wyoming), Poudre Valley Co-op, Simplot of Timnath (feed and grain), Hydra Trucking warehouse, Swift meat packing (Greeley), Holcim Cement...etc.

The 1954 version is interesting as a transition period between Steam and early diesels. This version has a heavy emphasis on the sugar beet industry of this region.

Much attention has been given to the accuracy of track scale, radius, elevation changes, industries and commodities.

Railroad Interchange locations:

Cheyenne yards: BNSF and UP
Fort Collins North Yard: BNSF, UP and GWR
Loveland siding: BNSF and GWR
Longmont yard: BNSF and GWR
Kelim: (Officer Junction) UP an GWR
Milliken: UP and GWR
Greeley - the interchange track between GWR and UP has been recently disconnected, however is supposed to be reconnected again.
This branch is the former C&S Greeley branch dating back to the late 1800's
(for 1954, all BNSF is replaced by Colorado & Southern)

Sound Effects

On-location digital recordings for sound files should enhance the mood of the surroundings.
Local railroad chatter from the scanner is also recorded and will be added as an appropriate fit, depending on the activity and area.

Whatever I learn and accumulate along the way, I will update and incorporate into this route.

STATUS

LONG way to go. The boards and track are down (minus a few yard spurs), but there's MUCH texturing and scenery to do. Learning enough GMAX for building and structures was/ is time consuming but worth the effort.
I'm now working on 2D backdrops from digital photos that add to the realism and help improve frame rates. The Fort Collins North Yard, Anheuser-Busch plant, and Black Hollow branch will be in the first release along with scenarios. From there, I will bounce over and finish up (upgrade) the LaSalle yard and area from the Union Pacific Greeley Sub for release #2.

As screen shots are presented, I will make a reference to the location and use the maps below as a reference.

Comments, suggestions and sharing of info is very welcome.

JD
----------------------------------------------------------------

Reference Materials include:

Railroads of Northern Colorado - Ken Jessen (1982)
The Great Western Railway - Ken Jessen (2007)
Where Steam still Serves - The Great Western Railway - James Lyons (1961)
Sugar Tramps - Gary Morgan (1975)
Sugar Country Shortline - Wesley Fox (1989)
Colorado & Southern - A personal Memory of the Standard Gauge - Ross B. Grenard (1987)

Historical info, survey maps and rail tech help from BNSF North Yard foreman, Art Mitchell and rail historian Ken Jessen (still lives in Loveland)

Google Earth
Virtual Earth

NCC map from 1911

Current GWR map

Last edited:
Glad to see you have made your own thread Jim! Like I ahve told you time and time again, your route truly is some thing to be proud of!

Excellant Project Will Be Watching This One....

I agree that long term large projects should have their own thread. This will be an interesting project to follow. I'll be watching this one.:wave:

I hope you enjoy the pics. I'll be bouncing around to different areas within the region.

BNSF leaving the North Yard in Fort Collins and heading north to Cheyenne.

Last edited:
Jim.....I like how ya have the TRS pic and the lil map to show where that pic is on your route....Very very creative :Y:......Keep em comin :wave:

Wow Jim, congrats on starting your own thread. I'm definitely going to sub to this one. I look forward to seeing more as you upload it.

Well done!

:Y:

Thanks for the feedback and thank you Colorado 71 for those great pics!

These maps show the location of the next few pics.

SE Frontage Rd crossing looking south:

Quite an interesting project, it will be nice to follow:) . So far it looks good, if you manage to pull this off, it will be one of the most complex route projects for Trainz.

Also, may I ask you two things: you had some excelent tracks done a while ago..are they avalable somewhere? And where can I find the road in your last pic?

Thanks.:)

I had trouble uploading the track awhile back, so I put it on hold. The track has been recreated since then to make it lower res for better FR's and will be included in the route upload when completed. The road is a reskin of Maddy's. I'm working on creating roads, but not quite ready yet. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Looking north on SE Frontage Rd

Looking South

North again....

West of I-25 The "Coors Can"

Last edited:
Holy crap Jim. Those shots are just amazing. The backdrop placement is flawless, the roads look VERY real, as does everything else. The locomotive is also very cool looking. I am watching this very intently. This has to be one of the best representations of Colorado that I have ever seen.

Great job.

Thanks Jade!

In back of the Heliport building looking southwest

looking south east

3D shot - Should work with those cheap cardboard glasses you got for the super bowl

Sinnard Industrial looking south east at I-25 (careful of the fence :))

Awesome!

I must say Jim, that route is looking absolutely spectacular! :Y: Awesome job so far! :D

Robby :wave:

Now thats pretty bad (__(__) there Jim....That looks like one sweet (__(__) route!!!!!!!! Keep the pix comin :wave:

Thanks Robbie and W.

I needed some more backdrop photos, so today I headed up to the North Yard area and walked along the tracks south east along the Black Hollow branch.

A few years ago I figured that the person who coined the phrase "Colorful Colorado" for Colorado license plates, must have moved here from Kansas,

and I'd think this was a good place to live if you suffer with depression. You could always blame it on your surroundings.

These days, however I have a much greater appreciation for the tracks along the Front Range. (heading back to the NW)

I like walking along these tracks. There's nobody out here and you can sing nice and loud without disturbing anyone.........except the cows, and this one angry cow gave me the hoof.

Last edited:
Back