New to Trainz - Help needed

Starks

Hi guys

I'm a reviewer over at AustralianGamer.com and, by request, was sent a copy of Aurans Trainz 2009 WBE.

It's pretty awesome, and although I've owned an earlier copy (Picked up TC for $20, but it didn't run so well) I'm extremely green to the series and how to do various things. Can I just ask a few questions:

* I wish to download some new trains and such and loaded up the content manager. I downloaded a C38 Tender and Engine (Two separate files) but can't seem to get them into the game. How is this done?
* Is there a larger manual on the game itself? Something with more detail on how to drive trains, change signals etc or is it best to simply run through the tutorials themselves?

Does anyone have any advice on how to play the game as well. i.e. What will give me the most enjoyment etc.

I want to write as good a review on this as possible, and take into account as many aspects of the game as possible. From what I have played so far, the game is brilliant. I have issues more with my computer specs than anything else.

Any good hints and advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Err, I posted this today but it is saying I posted it back in February 2007.

Strange, eh?

Anyways, any help would be great.

Hi guys

I'm a reviewer over at AustralianGamer.com and, by request, was sent a copy of Aurans Trainz 2009 WBE.

It's pretty awesome, and although I've owned an earlier copy (Picked up TC for $20, but it didn't run so well) I'm extremely green to the series and how to do various things. Can I just ask a few questions:

* I wish to download some new trains and such and loaded up the content manager. I downloaded a C38 Tender and Engine (Two separate files) but can't seem to get them into the game. How is this done?
* Is there a larger manual on the game itself? Something with more detail on how to drive trains, change signals etc or is it best to simply run through the tutorials themselves?

Does anyone have any advice on how to play the game as well. i.e. What will give me the most enjoyment etc.

I want to write as good a review on this as possible, and take into account as many aspects of the game as possible. From what I have played so far, the game is brilliant. I have issues more with my computer specs than anything else.

Any good hints and advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks!
Okay first off, to get your trainz running go into "recent items" on your computer, then it select the downloaded item in the list, CMP will open, select the item in CMP and go down to "commit", commit all items it shows in the main list, then start Trainz, if the object does not work, go back to CMP and select that item, select "view dependencies" click, "show in main list" if these items do not have either the green triangle or the yellow computer, you will need to download them, the ones avialble on the DLS will have a DS icon on them. I cannot help with the manual, as I have TRS06 not 09. Hope this helps and welcome to Trainz!

If at all possible, I think you should wait till the Engineers Edition is out in March. The World Builder Edition is directed to community content creators and long time users really, to provide the base to build new content on.
Your learning curve will be (too?) steep otherwise.

First, did you download them with CMP (Content Manager Plus) part of TS2009 WBE?

Yep, it was with the CMP that comes with WBE.

If at all possible, I think you should wait till the Engineers Edition is out in March. The World Builder Edition is directed to community content creators and long time users really, to provide the base to build new content on.
Your learning curve will be (too?) steep otherwise.

I did not know this. I will look at getting both copies, but right now I have to work with what I've got and WBE is it.

Hmm, I think it could be a possibility to review both :)

Okay first off, to get your trainz running go into "recent items" on your computer, then it select the downloaded item in the list, CMP will open, select the item in CMP and go down to "commit", commit all items it shows in the main list, then start Trainz, if the object does not work, go back to CMP and select that item, select "view dependencies" click, "show in main list" if these items do not have either the green triangle or the yellow computer, you will need to download them, the ones avialble on the DLS will have a DS icon on them. I cannot help with the manual, as I have TRS06 not 09. Hope this helps and welcome to Trainz!

Thank you mate! I will try this immediately when I get home.

Hi Starks, I would suggest doing the tutorials & then just pick a route/session & have some fun. Try driving in "Cab Mode" if you have not done so yet.

As for the "how to play the game" side of it, it's totally up to you. Pickup/dropoff passengers while trying to stay on time, haul long freight trainz, play around the in yard, create your own session, build your own route or just watch the AI drivers go passed & become a train-spotter :hehe:

Main thing, have fun.

Hey Starks, Hope what I said helps! I do run 2006 so mine may be a little different than yours but I doubt it. If you ever need any more help just PM me, if I can't help you, I will direct you to someone who can!
Cheers, Woody.

Trainz is really a simple game/simulator once u play it for a little bit. but it's CMP that is complex. also you need to know where to find all the parts to a locomtoive u downlaod. unlike MSTS where everything is one big pack. trainz is more modular separating whistle, engine sounds, body, wheels, etc you need to find and download every part of the locomotive, rolling stock, etc before you can use it normally. (that's what most people have trouble with)

Hi Starks --

"* I wish to download some new trains and such and loaded up the content manager. I downloaded a C38 Tender and Engine (Two separate files) but can't seem to get them into the game. How is this done?"

OK - if you've got that far you do have CM2 working.

The little irritant of Trainz are missing dependencies. You might be missing the horn sound, a bogey or two or somesuch for that loco and tender. If dependencies are missing the loco will not show in Surveyor or Driver.

CM2 is usually very good at finding missing dependencies. Find the loco in the main pane of CM2 and drag it to the little pane in the top left called "Download Helper". Click on start and it should see what dependencies the loco needs, see what is in your Trainz folder, search the Download Station for what is missing, download the missing dependencies and install them on your HDD.

Sometime dependencies are not on the DLS, in which case you will need to search for them elsewhere or substitute other dependencies for those that are missing. Some say the first is all part of the fun of Trainz. I think it's a real pain in the butt. The second involves editing the config.txt file.

From memory all the dependencies for that C38 are on the DLS. Be aware, though, that it's a TRS2004 loco and the sound may not be all that good in TRS2009.

"Does anyone have any advice on how to play the game as well. i.e. What will give me the most enjoyment etc."

It is possible that you might be disappointed by some of the in-built routes. There are many others on the DLS of very high quality, but most require a substantial download from the DLS - a First Class Ticket is well worth while. Some other routes require a search to the end of the Universe for that elusive missing dependency.

Anyway, open Surveyor, select a route, choose loco and rolling stock from the flyout (try, eg SD40 Union Pacific) and place on the track. Change the time of day to 7:00 and the weather to Cloudy by clicking on the "Edit Session Rules" at the top of the screen and editing the Startup Options. Press Ctrl-F2 to jump into Driver, save, select Cab Mode, and away you go.

There is, of course, a few more things to learn, but help is always here.

Phil

Edit:
And always remember to commit assets that are open for editing (top toolbar, Edit/Commit). After downloading it always helps to check if any assets are open for editing.

Last edited:
Welcome to Trainz Starks!

I too am sorta new at this and getting the hang of it by building my first route; the GLC (Great Lakes Central) Railroad.

I really like the CMv2.0 and the ease it has for downloading new content. Just remember to check the "Open for Edit" tab to see if any of it needs to be "committed" to your program. To commit, simply select the items in there by ctrl+a and then use ctrl+m. That will make them usable when you get into the Surveyor.

There's a lot of good info here on the forums and the Search engine works pretty well! Feel free to ask and many will post replies to help you get the answers you seek.

Again, welcome!

:)

After reading this thread and the responses, in particular the one from philskene, I really do not understand the mentality of the creators of Trainz that they should make the downloading and installation of custom content so difficult and hit and miss. I'm an FS pilot and love the ease of downloading and installing another aircraft (or fifty).
Come on Auran, please try a little harder.:confused:

That's a big part of the fun tho, ie: download a loco, tweak the smoke to your liking, play with the engine specs a little, check some different engine sounds, change the textures... Then take her out for a spin on your modified custom route..:D

That's a big part of the fun tho, ie: download a loco, tweak the smoke to your liking, play with the engine specs a little, check some different engine sounds, change the textures... Then take her out for a spin on your modified custom route..:D
I agree! I love how I can change out the horn.

Back