Trainz 2009 - crashing on startup

Stoker001

Hi All,

This is my first thread but probably not my last.

Can you help?

I am running Trainz 2009 with the Service Pack 1 loaded.

When I startup the program and click start on the main menu I get the following error message box appearing:

"Trainz has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

clicked more information and this appears:

"AppName: trainz.exe AppVer: 1.5.0.38017 ModName: msvcr80.dll
ModVer: 8.0.50727.42 Offset: 000176d9"

If I click ok, TS2009 shuts down.

I can only continue to run TS2009 when I leave the error dialog box open. As soon as I click ok to the error message TS shuts down!!

Should I replace the offended dll file in each folder?

I have reinstalled the program twice without change.

Any ideas most welcome!

Thanx, S.

Hi stoker001,

First welcome to trainz, I hope you have a good experience once you get it running.
As for your problem, a bit more information is required to see if the members on the forum can sort it out. Are you running Vista or XP or some other OS? What is your computer specs including CPU, Memory, Graphics card? Do you have the latest drivers installed?

Hope we can help,
Bill69

msvcr80.dll is used in all sorts of applications. For some reason, Trainz is crashing on your system when it gets to this stage. The challenge is figuring out what is different on your system.

Does CM2 work correctly?
Does the same error happen if you just install Trainz and not SP1?
Has it always happened (i.e. did it work correctly at some point)?
Have you installed any other software recently? e.g. movie players etc. If so, try uninstalling that and retrying.

It could be hardware related (faulty memory etc). It could be a faulty Windows install. It could be a bug on our end (although we have had no other reports the same as this one).

Sorry we can't be of more help.

Tony

My PC specs are as follows:

CPU = P-4 2.4GHz
Memory = 2.0Gb
Video Card = NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE

The program runs into the same problem with or without TS2009 SP-1 installed.

I am in the process of installing MS .NET Framework 3.5 and also I noticed that XP SP-3 has not been installed.

I will post back when I have downloaded & installed these updates.

Many thanks on your comments so far...

you dont need xp-sp3 installed to use trainz though the .net framework is essential.

msvcr80.dll was updated in the .net framework and may solve your issue. i hope it works for you.

Problem solved!

Initially I tried installing .net 3.5 framework but failed.

Then I ran XP SP3 and then repeated the installation of .net 3.5 framework.

This time it worked.

TS2009 is running without a problem.

Thanks so much especially Winterpaw for the advice.

Back