'blw con b2' by steammachine

pisaacs

Some of the locomotives I downloaded from steammachine's website need the dependency 'blw con b2' and it's listed as faulty in the content manager with the various installed packages. I've tried to email steammachine but no response so far. Auran doesn't seem to have it. Does anyone know where I can get the cdp file? Perhaps it has to do with I'm using Trainz2009?

The creator has stated he does not intend to correct the faulty file so you are left to do it your self or find someone else who knows how.

Well that's beyond my ken (although if someone came up with step-by-step directions I'd have no problem altering the files), but thanks for telling me about the no updates coming.

Well that's beyond my ken (although if someone came up with step-by-step directions I'd have no problem altering the files), but thanks for telling me about the no updates coming.

Well, you could rightclick the faulty file in the CMP and see what the errors are. Sometimes it's easy to remedy, like faulty entries in the config or missing textures that are signalled from leftover xxx.texture.txt files.

Your milage may vary...;)

Greetings from rainy Amsterdam,

Jan

PS. I can confirm that the asset is working correctly in trs2006 btw, but it has been fixed as it shows the altered icon in CMP

Last edited:
Right clicking the file in Content Manager while in the 'view dependencies screen' only brings up a 'copy' option.

Right clicking the file in Content Manager while in the 'view dependencies screen' only brings up a 'copy' option.

Hmm, doesn't the CMP in 2009 have a screen with all assets either on the download station or locally on your PC ? The screen that's used in combination with the find dialog. You must locate the faulty asset you've downloded on your PC there and rightclick it. Then you get a whole list of options, one of them is "show errors" I presume. (Over here all the CMP is in dutch allthough I have an english version of trainz :hehe: )

Hope this helps.

Jan

Last edited:
OK. We're in the 'locally modified' screen in CM2 TRS2009. On dogey assets with e.g. a red exclamation mark you can right click and there's a choice of 'view errors and warnings'. However, on e.g. on of the heavy Baldwin's made by Steammachine there's a red jigsaw puzzle piece with an exclamation mark. Right clicking on this doesn't give you that menu option. There is only relevant 'view dependencies'. Then you get the list of dependencies including the 'blw con b2' with a red exclamation mark. Right clicking on that only gives you the option 'copy'. So, dead end. Now, e.g. there was a cow object with the same red puzzle piece and when I right clicked on that there was the choice to view' errors and warnings.' So for whatever reason that option isn't available on the engines.

However, on e.g. on of the heavy Baldwin's made by Steammachine there's a red jigsaw puzzle piece with an exclamation mark. Right clicking on this doesn't give you that menu option. There is only relevant 'view dependencies'. Then you get the list of dependencies including the 'blw con b2' with a red exclamation mark. Right clicking on that only gives you the option 'copy'.

Hmm, from your answer I understand you right click on the Baldwin asset. You should however find that 'blw con b2' asset and rightclick on that. Look at this screen capture how that would look. If you use the find dialog in the picture you will find the culprit...:)
When the asset has an exclamation mark, the third line under 'Weergeven in...' should state 'Fouten weergeven' (Show Errors)

Jan

My attempt to identify the errors went exactly as I described it.

However, and EUREKA, I didn't realize that the faulty dependency would also be listed separately as an asset. So when I right clicked on it as a separate asset that menu option was indeed there and the problem is a texture that is either missing or unable to load properly.

Well, still unusable but I appreciate all the help learning how CM2 works.

Thanks all!

Good to hear your learning. Progress at least and the way TS2009 squeezes all assets into conforming with it's standards you'll have a lot of learning ahead. Even some of the old Auran and 3rd party built-ins that come with TS2009 suffer from this if you try to clone them or open and re commit.

I may be able to help as the asset is an invisible bogey and as such really doesn't need to get rendered in the game.

As you have discovered you already have the asset - there's no other cdp to get.

I'll post back if the fix works.

Bob Pearson

If you check CMP2 it tells you a texture 'engine_black.texture' is missing or could not be loaded for mesh ... \blw_con_b2.im'.

In past versions of Trainz this was a silent problem since the asset is an invisible boggey. CMP2 in TS2009 though checks for missing things like this and finds a missing texture and won't let you get any further - past versions siliently used what was there. I guess you can't argue with progress but past sins seem to be coming home to roust in the current versions as Auran tries to tighten things up.

To cure this you only have to add a texture.txt file and a corresponding texture file. Easy enough but Ben has a real life to live outside Trainz so I suggest you either make the changes yourself, don't use his locos or wait patiently for him to find the time to do it. And since he's doesn't have TS2009 and and can't test things out and probably is upset it broke not only his but many other creations by 3rd parties and even some of Auran's old stuff I don't blame him.

For my own use I'm going to make the changes myself because I like running his locos and it's certainly within the capabilities of anyone of average intelligence and abilities to accomplish it.

In case you don't have the inclination to invests some time to learn how these little creations get put together I'll give you some help. If you want to try it be my guest. If you know how to make your own textures and the changes required here you could go down that route. If not - open the Baldwin medium 2-8-0H for editing in explorer. Find the blw_con_body\env_metal.texture.txt and blw_con_body\env_metal.bmp files. Copy these 2 files. Open the blw con b2 asset for editing in explorer. Paste the 2 files into the open folder. Rename the file env_metal.texture.txt to engine_black.texture.txt and committ both open assets. You should get a fault free blw con b2 asset. I did. The loco I tested was the Baldwin medium 2-8-0H. It showed up in surveyor and driver after I made the fix.

In this case I think any texture would work as you don't see anything in the game.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Did it!!! Great. Engine runs fine. Thanks so much, Bob.

I understand that people don't have the time to update every time Auran changes things. I've heard that lament all to often here. Oh well, it's fun for me to play with the files too. I thought it might be something really complicated.

RPearson, thanks for the tip. Took only a few minutes. I had tried making a bmp file and it didn't work but when I went back and tried your method I discovered I had misnamed the texture file failing to add .texture. Now all of the Baldwins are running and that is very nice. Appreciate your willingness to help out.

Thanks Bob

I've been working all day trying to get Bdaneal's locos working. I too, like his locomotives and find that TS09 has broken most of his and Prowlers. Your fix will get some of them working for me.

glen

I'm having difficulties getting bdaneal's 2-10-0s to work in TRS09, the problem seemed to be related to the "blw con b2" file. I followed the a fore mentioned procedure and it was still showing an error concerning the "blw con b2" file. I repeated the procedure a second time and now the problem seems to lie with "env_metal.bmp" file. I would appreciate any sugestions.

Help

RPearson, thanks for the tip. Took only a few minutes. I had tried making a bmp file and it didn't work but when I went back and tried your method I discovered I had misnamed the texture file failing to add .texture. Now all of the Baldwins are running and that is very nice. Appreciate your willingness to help out.

Well, I have a problem...

So, unfortunately I can't do that and I can't find these two files. I use Windows 10. Can you find the problem?

-DH

So what's the problem? You have to be more specific we aren't mind readers here. Win10 shouldn't make a difference in fixing the "blw con b2"

Bob Pearson

Back