New Trainz User

mkg

Hi everyone - Trainz newbie here :) Thought I'd introduce myself.

I bought Trainz Collection from Auran's website a week ago and I've been having fun with Trainz 2006 (collection is the one with 2006 + 4 routes, 2004 and UTC). My interest is more in simulators in general than trains in particular. I've messed around with flight sims, boat sims and other games that encourage 'worldbuilding'. I've never spent time with a train sim before - I read around a little on the web and Trainz seemed like the way to go. I was considering 2009 but then I thought I'd leave that until some of the issues have been addressed and there is lots of content produced by the community.

Trainz 2006 is pleasingly stable so it seems and the amount of content is very impressive - I've got CMP downloading in the background as I write this:) Surveyor is the most impressive world building interface I've seen - very intuitive for a novice though I imagine I'll be back here with lots of questions once I start to attempt anything beyond beginner level noodling about.

I have a couple of general questions now. In the manual it says in a footnote that additional industries and commodities are available via the DLS. Which ones would people recommend as being the most fun? Are there other things on the DLS that are considered 'must haves' by the community? I think I read somewhere that in 2009 modelling is done with Blender rather than gmax - is that correct?

Regards

mkg

Hi everyone - Trainz newbie here :) Thought I'd introduce myself.

I bought Trainz Collection from Auran's website a week ago and I've been having fun with Trainz 2006 (collection is the one with 2006 + 4 routes, 2004 and UTC). My interest is more in simulators in general than trains in particular. I've messed around with flight sims, boat sims and other games that encourage 'worldbuilding'. I've never spent time with a train sim before - I read around a little on the web and Trainz seemed like the way to go. I was considering 2009 but then I thought I'd leave that until some of the issues have been addressed and there is lots of content produced by the community.

Trainz 2006 is pleasingly stable so it seems and the amount of content is very impressive - I've got CMP downloading in the background as I write this:) Surveyor is the most impressive world building interface I've seen - very intuitive for a novice though I imagine I'll be back here with lots of questions once I start to attempt anything beyond beginner level noodling about.

I have a couple of general questions now. In the manual it says in a footnote that additional industries and commodities are available via the DLS. Which ones would people recommend as being the most fun? Are there other things on the DLS that are considered 'must haves' by the community? I think I read somewhere that in 2009 modelling is done with Blender rather than gmax - is that correct?

Regards

mkg

Hello and welcome to trainz!:wave:

You are very lucky to have found one of the known five stable copies of TRS2006 that never, ever, crash and that CMP actually works in! (joke:hehe:)

For industries and commodities, the likelihood is that if you want it, someone will have made it. Tip: Items for TRS2004/UTC will work in TRS2006. If you decide to search the DLS using your web browser (this is a good idea as CMP sometimes has difficulty finding older assets), then make sure you check the boxes down to "TRS2004 Pre SP3" (or similar).

Don't forget that there are loads of really great third-party websites around providing premium content, most of the time for free, but there are some payware sites.

As for modelling, I am not an expert, but you can use any modelling program as long as you can export a certain file type which I do not know the name of. As I say, I am not an expert in modelling, and I may be completely wrong on this.

One final point: Please only hesitate to ask questions long enough to use the search feature on the forums. It may answer your questions for you. If you can't find the answer you are looking for, then go ahead and start a new thread on it.

Hope this helps,:D

Welcome aboard mkg, as for industry might I recommend a route from user philskene, just search the download station for his username, he has some top notch routes chocked full of industry and tons of sessions as well, be sure to download all the dependencies also!

The way I see it then you'll also have these to play with in surveyor after, kind of a win, win situation:)

Also my good friend ish6 has a large selection of visible and invisible products to use in your consists, also many factories and industrial buildings!

Hope you enjoy your time with us,

Lorin:wave:

Welcome aboard mkg

I'm not a modeling expert either, but I have made some of my own stuff. As ugly as it is, it is satisfying to see ones own work on a trainz map. I suggest trying blender. You will then be prepared for when you do upgrade to trs2009.

A nice tutorial is available at the link, thanks to paulhobbs

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=34165

Enjoy your stay,
Lenny

Welcome!

Welcome to Trainz!
It is certainly worth the money paid, probably the one of the best things I've ever bought. I'm sure you'll have fun with it! Also, the forums are a great way to enjoy your new game and meet new people.
Cheers, Woody.

Back