Digital Download Vs Retail

TXRFan

I appologize if this is posted somewhere, but I could not find it. What is the difference on my end with the digital download version versus a retail DVD? I assume I get a serial number upon purchase. Can I then backup the download and use that along with the serial number to reinstall, or do I need to connect to the Auran website again?

Also, is the digial download fast or does one have to purchase a FCT?

Digital download is attactive to me provided the download is fast and I can make a local backup for when I need to reinstall.

Thanks
-Mike

I don't know what differences, if any, there are between the DDL and retail version of 2009.

When you purchase online you are emailed a serial number and the url for downloading TS2009 - SP1 is available from the Auran site.

You can burn backup CDs of both and retain them for reinstallation if required.

My download rattled along at a good speed, although I can't remember how long it all took - I do recall, though, not being disappointed by the time it took.

There are no program or content difference between Download and DVD delivery. If you download you get a specific serial number that won't work with the DVD and vice-versa.

When you save the files, don't forget to include the SP1 files. They may be useful in the future.

Narrowgauge

Hi Mike,

The digital download is the way to go. Other than the box there is no difference. Speed is not limited for the download, you can pull the 2.5 GB file as fast as your Internet connection can handle. Of course, speed will vary depending on the path of your connection to Auran's servers. I have heard of some people in remote areas that complained about the speed but it isn't on Auran's end.

You will get an e-mail with the serial number and it will also be available in your Planet Auran profile in case you don't get the e-mail.

William

To answer my own questions:

1) Yes you get the serial number upon purchase.
2) The download took 50 minutes
3) Current two files need to be backed up, the install file and SP1. It appears they can be burned to DVD just fine.
4) I installed off the hard disk.

The only "bad" part was the Auran purchase site was very slow.

Now that CM2 has repaired the DB after SP1, let's see if this 2009 thing works...

Thanks for the replies.
-Mike

Back