TS2009 - my review

weevil

. . joined September 2001
1) The sound is fixed! To be honest I resent having to buy a new version to get a fix for something that should have been right in the last version I bought, but at least it's finally been sorted out. Thankyou.

2) The new five meter terrain grid is very good, allowing much better terraforming of terrain detail. Particularly useful for creators of mountainous and DEM based routes. In particular tracks and roads laid along mountain and hillsides get a major improvement. Creators of DEM based routes really do benefit greatly here. Reduced texture radius is also welcome and the finer texture details can really help to improve overall route detail and appearance.
But . . . the topology tool is now square and when working on a classic ten meter grid the point of action is in one corner rather than the center - rather annoying and counterintuitive.

3) Increased view distance is great and has a much greater negative impact on framerate and general performance than using Trainz Tuner in previous versions.
But . . . doesn't work once inside cab view, where the view distance reverts to good old Trainz CE standard.

4) Performance increase. In DirectX I found TS2009 to be slower and clunkier than either '04 or '06, regardless of whether or not I was in compatiability mode. In OpenGL the difference is stellar with the whole show whizzing by at super fluid pace even at extended view distances on DEM terrain with tree covered hillsides.
But . .. There is a massive amount of psychedelic ground texture discoloration and flickering in OpenGL. Perhaps a change of graphics driver will resolve this. I currently have the latest drivers installed but might try an older driver as recommended elsewhere in these forums.

5) New Content Manager is a great improvement over the previous version I have used in '06. It seems much more robust, provides greater user feedback and contains many new and useful searching and sorting features.
But . . . the feature to backup and restore keywords is now missing.

6) New interface is erm, . . .new. Whereas the one with TRS2006 was a sort of super-cool high-tech blue, the TS2009 version looks like a bit of dirty old canvas painted a dull blue. With all the things that could be done with Trainz, why they continue to waste time and resources overhauling the interface at every version is a mystery to me.

7) New surveyor search features should be fairly easy to get to grips with for anyone who has used TRS2006. For users migrating from '04 it may take a while until you get used to all the possible options available. I personally rate the content search filters highly, finding it far easier to locate either a specific piece of content I want to use or just looking for something suitable to fill in a gap.
But . . dragging and dropping items to the new pick list results in a blank square showing in place of the item's icon. One rather fundamental surveyor annoyance is that after saving the route, the terrain disappears completely. Exiting surveyor and re-entering brings the terrain back, but this workaround is hardly convenient.

8) New replace assets tool is very good and extremely useful.
But . . .why oh, why can't we also use it to simply delete every instance of an asset without having to replace it with something else? Perhaps it already can be used like that . I tried simply leaving the "replace with" box blank but that didn't work. Perhaps there is some less obvious way of doing it?

9) Driver experience seems to have changed little. There are some under the hood changes to the physics system and enginespecs but unfortunately they still haven't got them right. I fail to understand the mentality in revamping things like this if you're just going to change them from wrong to a different kind of wrong. Still no improvements to the lamentable coupler breakage physics either. To be quite honest I haven't yet looked at the claims of improved AI, or saving and re-opening sessions in progress.

10) There are quite a few problems with display of existing content, including a large proportion of that shipped with the simulator. Particularly noticeable are problems with trees. Auran have already stated that this is due to a change in content creation requirements and is not a bug but a feature. New trees will have to be made that take advantage of improvements to the rendering system. TS2009 is really a platform for a whole new generation of content and whilst there is a "compatability mode" for legacy content, it won't be until new content starts showing up in any quantity until we can really see what that new platform can do.

There are also a whole bunch of new content errors being flagged in Content Manager, even for content that showed no errors in TRS2006. I have to wonder if this was wise on Auran's part. It seems we as a community have barely just got over the pain of TRS2006 and it's strict content checking requirements. The only thing that acted as a placebo to many during that upheaval was the thought that once content was corrected for '06 it would be "forever good". Unfortunately it seems the pain may go on.

11) In summary quite a few good points for the new version, but unfortunately nearly every one of them with some sort of a fly in the ointment. It seems to be impossible for Auran to add any kind of feature or fix without either breaking something else or unnecessarily changing something that worked perfectly well.

It might be worth buying just for the five meter grid resolution, sound fix and more robust Content Manager as long as you can live with possibly dodgy looking graphics and don't mind the short viewing distance in "cab" view.

On the whole it seems that TS2009 is most suited to content creators who want the ultimate content compatability and testing tool for the future generations of Trainz.

Out of curiosity I looked on the Download Station to see how many items of content had been specifically created for the latest releases. In total between the various Trainz Classics releases and the new TS2009 there are a grand total of just under three hundred items of content at the time of writing. Three hundred items of content that may (or may not) utilise the new features in the versions released over the past two years. Compare this to the one hundred and twenty thousand odd items that have been created for the versions of Trainz CE through to TRS2006 spanning a period of approximately four years. That represents something like a 99.6% drop in content creation take-up for the last four releases! It would seem that there is little desire by the community to make content specifically for the latest and greatest versions of the software and would indicate to me that Auran may just be heading in the wrong direction by introducing even more strict and complex creation and checking requirements for TS2009.

For the rest of us, a copy of TRS2006 updated to SP1, Trainz Tuner and a seperate audio CD of locomotive sounds might be the better option.

This is an account of my views and experiences with TS2009. I have tried to be as fair and honest as possible. Obviously your mileage may vary. For my own part I do hope Auran will take note of some of these issues and consider addressing at least some of them in a second service pack.

Respectfully, Stuart

First update:
After several hours of messing about with various versions of my video drivers I have managed to banish the dreaded psychedelic ground textures. As far as I can tell for those of you with ATi cards, if you have this problem the only driver that works is version 7.2
I tried both older and newer drivers (about seven different sets all-told) and this is "the one". Whether the blame lies with Auran or ATi I can't say. Now if Auran can just sort out the view distance when in the cab, I might be ready to start the mass-migration of content!

Second update:
Never having owned TRS2007, some of the routes in TS2009 are new to me. I believe it is only fair to congratulate the team at HP-Trainz on their Bad Schandau route and the excellent sessions that come packaged. This I believe is an extract from an upcoming payware release, but frankly is a very worthy standalone inclusion in it's own right. The route is far from super detailed, but the DEM terrain and pure scope of the trackage and number of custom assets make it a wonderful experience of discovery and give a tremendous sense of immersion in a busy rail world. Whatever else I decide to do with TS2009 in the future, I can at least say I've had my money's worth from this route and sessions alone. Thanks guys. Keep us posted when the full route is released, I'll be queuing outside your virtual door!

For further updates, see later in the thread.

Last edited:
As you said in your thread "should I buy TRS2009?", you felt let down by Auran's products. I won't be buying TRS2009 for that reason, I've bought each edition of Trainz from UTC through to TC3, from TRS2006 all have had unacceptable flaws that have never been addressed by Auran. The only exception to this is TC3, at least the developers not Auran have remedied any problems. TRS2006, so many problems there's not enough space to mention all. TC1&2:crashes to desktop with routes that have no faulty or missing dependencies. Yet the same routes have workrd perfectly in both 2006 and TC3! Of course whenever any problems like these are raised in the forums it's always a hardware issue nothing to do with Auran's software of course! Whenever a new product is being promoted Auran staff are all over the forums like a rash but are never keen to address the real issues of why their software doesn't work properly, prefering to leave that to others.
I am only building any new routes in Rail Simulator, which has the 5 metre grid. I will continue to use TRS2004 to run my TRS routes. i feel I have spent enough money on Auran products that have not lived up to Auran's claims for them.

Since becomming a Trainz fan in 2001 I have bought and used UTC, TRS2004, TRS2006 and TRS2009. After all that, I am still using TRS2004. I find that TRS2004, TrainzObject, TrainzAgent, and Gmax provide me with all the tools I need for content creation and route building. And these programs are separate and user friendly.

I have nothing negative to say about the newer versions but the complexity and growing pains are not what I want to deal with. I may change my mind about TRS2009 if Auran gets serious about fixing problems and doesn't divert their resources to TRS20xx.

I monitor the Forum every day and am disappointed with what I read about problems with TRS2009. I hope Auran monitors the forum and is working hard to fix the problems and make the program the future of Trainz. I know they need to sell their products to stay in business. I would like to see them make TRS2009 error free, user friendly and a fantastic video program. They already charge a fee for a FCT. They could make payware for Trainz. They could improve the DLS and charge a small fee for access.

In the meantime I will wait and watch what happens with TRS2009.

Earl

A balanced review I think.

TS2009 is competitively priced and appealing if it fixes the main headaches and irritating quirks of 2006 - although, as yet, only a couple have shown themselves to be an improvement over 2006 one of which one, the sound, you have mentioned.

As it happens I like the interface. I thought the 2006 front end overblown and promising far more than it delivered.

I have imported just one of my favourite custom routes and associated rolling stock from 2006 into 2009 and all is going well so far.

The asset replacement is a blessing, though I haven't tested it yet. Replacing items so they can be deleted completely should be reasonably easy;

Download an object that you wouldn't use in a million years from the DLS (for a scenery item, for example, I would use one of those weird surveyor-only sound effect thingys), and save it to a CDP. Then start 2009 and replace the asset you wish to zap with the said object. Quit 2009 and open Content Manager - delete the replacement object - open 2009 again and go to the route in surveyor and delete all missing objects. You can always reinstall the replacement object from the CDP if you want to go through the process again with another asset.

I've used this method successfully in 2006 and I see no reason why it shouldn't work just as well in 2009.

As for content creation, it remains to be seen what happens there. There is a whole pile of really good content made for 2004 that is no damn good anymore in 2006, and that must have frustrated contnet creators far more than it did everyday users.

I reached the word limit for a single post but as I'm not through yet, will continue here.

Third upate:
I mentioned earlier in my review that TS2009 can really be considered a platform for further content development for those looking to create for the upcoming 2009 Engineer's Edition. Bearing this in mind I started delving a little more into the way new content is to be created and looking at the few samples supplied.

A lot of fuss is being made about alpha blended trees now being no longer supported. Now I have looked at the single supplied TS2009 tree I can see why! The tree looks absolutely superb if you are actually within it's branches or standing close enough to to be able to pull a virtual leaf off. The problem is that from anything more than a few meters away it looks absolutely awful. No exaggeration. Placed next to a standard alpha-mapped tree, once the viewer is more than 10m away the TS2009 wonder just can't compare, and the further away you go the worse it looks by comparison. This single example tree is a whopping 8 megs in size!

Moving into CMP I decided to open a few assets for edit to have a look. Another bit of bad news for budding creators is that you can't open any of the texture files. My image editor failed to read any of the jpg or tga images in the content. Worse still for a scripting dummy like me, even un-encrypted .gs script files are now completely unreadable in notepad, and all this in the so-called "World Builders Edition". Well done Auran, another shot in the foot!

Fourth update:
I've been back to tinkering in surveyor and got one of my latest route projects into TS2009. It was looking pretty good too until I tried to save it. What do you know, the same old TRS2006 post SP1 save bug has made it into TS2009. Can't overwrite read-only route files. . . only the TS2009 version of this "feature" comes with extra annoyance factor built in. The traditional workaround in 06 is to use "Save as" and overwrite that way, only in '09 I get the additional error message that the asset can't be commited to the database, but this can be done in Content Manager. After this of course, as those of you who were paying attention earlier will remember, the ground disappears and I have to quit Surveyor and reload my route to carry on working, only now I actually have to:
A) Quit Trainz completely.
B) Go into Content manager.
C) Delete the old version of the route.
D) Copy the open for edit version I just saved but that couldn't be committed to a desktop folder.
E) Delete the version I just saved but couldn't commit from Content Manager.
F) Edit the config of the version I copied to the desktop and put back the original KUID (otherwise I loose all my sessions).
G) Import the version on the desktop into Content Manager and commit it.
H) Restart Trainz, and open up my route in Surveyor to continue working.
- every time I wish to save.

Fifth update:
After an hour or so of fruitless searching on the map save issue I set to and browsed through every post in the TS2009 section of these forums looking for information on some of the issues I'm having. After nearly two hours of reading I finally found a very long winded technical explanation on the map save problem.

It is not actually a bug as such in Trainz. In short it would seem to be an error that crops up when Trainz simply has too much stuff in memory to keep running and save the map at the same time. This is a problem related to the hard-maximum 2Gb of 32 bit operating systems. The short answer is that the route is just too large and or contains too many items.

I'll be the first to admit that the route I have been working on is something of a monster - I have no idea how many baseboards there are, but it's a lot. So, I will trim it down somewhat, decide which parts will just have to go and see if this resolves my problem.

Perhaps it was just pure co-incidence then that my route happened to reach this critical size the very day I installed Service Pack 1 for TRS2006, because prior to that I never had a problem saving it.

Sixth update:
It may be useful to read the following thread (link below). This is the thread I mentioned in my previous update where Auran explain that the route saving bug is not in fact a bug, but rather a memory / 32bit OS limitation:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=33711

Following the discovery that the saving issue supposedly isn't a bug but a technical limit I started trimming down my route. After hacking off a lot of boards I finally managed to save it. Great, problem resolved I thought. I then went on to do a bit more work in Surveyor, came to save and lo and behold the error has returned!

In order to get to the bottom of this I decided to try a practical experiment. Some of you may remember from a couple of years back that I was working on a huge DEM based route of some of the railroads in the Southern California area. I still have an old copy of this, so it was duly loaded in and tested. Guess what? Yep - that won't save either in TRS2006 SP1 or TS2009 SP1.

Now that is strange given that Auran's explanation was a Windows limitation in addressing enough memory. I had been working on this route without difficulty as long ago as the original Trainz SP3. If I recall correctly I had only 1 Gigabyte of RAM in my machine at that time too! This would seem to suggest that there is indeed a serious new problem to contend with for creators of extensive real world routes. My advice to anyone creating their masterpiece in TRS2004 is to leave it there, as for the moment it seems it will be unusable in either '06 or '09.

Stuart

Last edited:
1) The sound is fixed! To be honest I resent having to buy a new version to get a fix for something that should have been right in the last version I bought, but at least it's finally been sorted out. Thankyou.
[snip]

Just curious about your opinion about the sound, what do you think was fixed? I asked because I just loaded up a default Hawes route and the steam engines sound terrible.

First off, at low speed they still have only 2 chuffs per rotation instead of the proper 4. Secondly, at medium low speed the chuffs go away and then you can barely hear the locomotive. The sound is some kind of loop at low volume. By contrast, the track noise is very loud.

Maybe you were looking at a different aspect of the sound, but I am sorely disappointed with the sound so far, TRS2006 was better than this.

-Mike

. . .Maybe you were looking at a different aspect of the sound, but I am sorely disappointed with the sound so far, TRS2006 was better than this.

You're quite correct Mike, my apologies for not making it clear that I have so far only tested the diesel locomotives and the sound improvements over '06 are for me significant. To be honest I don't even dare to contemplate the whole steam implementation. It's a way off being right for diesels. I don't see that there's much hope for steam as these machines are fundamentally more complex to represent in terms of animation, physics and sounds.

Stuart

Thank you, Weevil, for your deep review of 2009. I feel about 2006, the only version I own, as many seem to feel about 2004. Probably just been lucky, but I have not had the problems others seem to have had.

Anyhow, I think I will postpone springing for 2009 until more of the kinks are worked out.

Bernie

Maybe you were looking at a different aspect of the sound, but I am sorely disappointed with the sound so far, TRS2006 was better than this.

-Mike

I have versions 2004, 2006, and 2009.

I quit using 2006 because the sound was just awful, at least for me, on two different desktop computers, so I guess you could call me one of the 2004 die hard fans. I find that 2009 restores the sound to the same or better quality as 2004, except for the steam engines. It was certainly not correct in 2004, but it is pretty bad in 2009 especially once the engine speed is faster than about 15 mph. That doesn't affect me much since I use mainly diesels and trolleys on my routes.

Having said that I think 2009 has great potential after some more refinements, however I am still building all my routes in 2004 and then migrating them over to 2009 just to be safe.

I have versions 2004, 2006, and 2009.

I quit using 2006 because the sound was just awful, at least for me, on two different desktop computers, so I guess you could call me one of the 2004 die hard fans. I find that 2009 restores the sound to the same or better quality as 2004, except for the steam engines. It was certainly not correct in 2004, but it is pretty bad in 2009 especially once the engine speed is faster than about 15 mph. That doesn't affect me much since I use mainly diesels and trolleys on my routes.

Having said that I think 2009 has great potential after some more refinements, however I am still building all my routes in 2004 and then migrating them over to 2009 just to be safe.

I don't have TRS04 and buying it now seems kind of pointless. I was able to tweak the steam locos in TRS06 to at least have 2 chuffs per rev, but could never get 4 chuffs even with invisible "4 chuff" bogeys.

I took some time and imported a route I have been working on in TRS06 and I surprisingly got some good results with old steam power I got from Ben Neal's site (Baldwin generics). Several of those locos use the invisible bogey trick. I believe this trick was done for 04, it fails to work for 06 (at least my 06), however, it appears to work in 09. On top of that, just about all the route itself went in okay, albeit the migration from 06 was kludgy (is that a word?).

With his 2-6-0 I got 4 chuffs per rev and a somewhat good transition from slow chuffing to high speed. When I cut the throttle the chuffing disappeared completely, which from my limited experience watching the real thing is what is supposed to happen. On the downside, the boiler kept loosing pressure and the coal level (whatever that really means) kept climbing above 100%. Maybe there is hope for steam. I wish I could find some documentation on how to fix the steam engine files.

In other areas I've noticed the 06 is just more solid. 06 on my machine loads up fast and has never crashed or rebooted the PC. View transitions are smooth. In contrast, 09 has caused my PC to reboot once during driver, view transitions can be choppy, loading times are much slower, and sometimes it is difficult to select a particular car in driver mode. I'm running a fairly high spec machine: Core2 Duo overclocked to 3.75GHz, 4GB of 1GHz 5-5-5-18 DDR2 RAM, 8800GTS512 overclocked to 9800GTX+ levels, XP SP2.

For 2009, the out of the virtual box experience is pretty bad, about a 2 out of 5. The digital download worked well, but this is not something I would spring on somebody new to Trainz. The 06 out of the box experience was much better. However, the potential is there. Since I'm new to creating content, I'd like to start with 09 if at all possible.

I think I'm going to go back and try it without the service pack, just to see if it runs better for me. Auran still has some work to do here. The $30 US price helps here. I'd be pretty upset if I dropped $70 or so on 09.

-Mike

Waiting for more refinements? Wow, I have been running 2006 for years without a problem. I downloaded 2009 the first day it was available and all I could way was "WOW", what an improvement. I downloaded and installed SP1 without a problem. I only found a few small issues, but they already know about them and will fix them.

I main thing that I could wish for is an in-game volume control for the sim.

Mouse --

"I downloaded 2009 the first day it was available and all I could way was "WOW", what an improvement."

I'm with you on this one.

I think that TRS2009 is the best version yet.
_____

And the steam locomotive sounds - '09 uses the same coding as TC3. If you import the TC3 steamers the sound will be perfect. Others will be problematic. Such is the price of progress.

Phil

Since becomming a Trainz fan in 2001 I have bought and used UTC, TRS2004, TRS2006 and TRS2009. After all that, I am still using TRS2004. I find that TRS2004, TrainzObject, TrainzAgent, and Gmax provide me with all the tools I need for content creation and route building....

In the meantime I will wait and watch what happens with TRS2009.

Earl

Earl

And don't forget Trainz Tuner, which by some accounts works better in '04 than the much-touted extended view does in '09.

I must be your twin brother or something, your post mirrors my feelings almost to a T (tee?) except that I haven't bought '09 yet. After being annoyed greatly by the design concepts and 'quality' of TRS2006 and CMP, all new versions of Trainz after TRS2004 are "guilty until proven innocent" in my view.

So I too will be keeping a close watch on reviews like this one from Stuart which I find very informative. At this stage I am very glad not to have jumped in and made an early purchase. I just wish Auran would build on what they had achieved with '04 and go in the direction of 'simple, reliable, intuitive'. They seem to be doing the opposite and I fear this may have ugly consequences in the slow economic times where discretionary spending on game software may be the first thing to suffer.

~ Deane

on the fence

Just curious about your opinion about the sound, what do you think was fixed? I asked because I just loaded up a default Hawes route and the steam engines sound terrible.

First off, at low speed they still have only 2 chuffs per rotation instead of the proper 4. Secondly, at medium low speed the chuffs go away and then you can barely hear the locomotive. The sound is some kind of loop at low volume. By contrast, the track noise is very loud.

-Mike

I have the same gripe about the 2009 steam engines -- same problem with the steam units in the great Northbay Country route. Plus 2009 only has the 2 USA steam engines from 2006. And since I'm not about to tackle making 'normal' BMPs for textures, etc. I don't see myself learning how to create content for 2009. Until trees and steam is fixed in 2009, it is back to TRS2006 for me -- there is a lot of content I haven't Driven yet. :)

. . .I think that TRS2009 is the best version yet.

Despite what might come across in my review, I agree. TS2009 is almost certainly the best version yet. It's also the something like the eighth version over a seven year development period and so I should think it only right that it's the best one yet. The sad thing is that a lot of the things that make TS2009 "the best yet" should have been present and working correctly 4 versions ago in TRS2006

It's also worth bearing in mind that whilst for some people everything seems OK, others are suffering horrendous graphics and performance issues - and this is not restricted to those with outdated hardware. If you're one of the unlucky ones with these problems it is far from the best version yet.

Remember that I too was having serious graphical issues until I got lucky with a single working graphics driver. Now it seems I have to live with a more than 12 month old driver just because it's the only one that works for TS2009. For many people that may not be possible or acceptable.

Stuart

Last edited:
Well I have had Trainz 2004 for quite a while now and after that review I think I will be having it for a while longer yet.The only thing that appeals to me is the 5metre terrain grid,if that could be used in 2004 I would be in heaven,but ,I'm afraid it's not enough for me to change to 2009.Thank you Weevil for your review I just hope that Auran Take notice and do something about making improvements to the 2009 product,I just wonder,how many like myself are sitting on the fence waiting,instead of holding on to the cash that Auran could do with.Can Auran really afford that.

Remember that I too was having serious graphical issues until I got lucky with a single working graphics driver. Now it seems I have to live with a more than 12 month old driver just because it's the only one that works for TS2009. For many people that may not be possible or acceptable.

Stuart

Acceptable? Using a video driver than it's the newest isn't acceptable? That's funny, I don't care who you are. Newer isn't always better. I'm running a 8800GT 512 card using 169 drivers. The newest driver is 187, I think. You use what you know works, if it's not the newest, so be it. If you are the kind of person who has to have the latest and greatest of everything, well, I've got news for you, you are dealing with a computer, a box full of electrical components built by different manufacturers. They don't always work right together. You find what works and stick with it. I wish I had a nickel for everytime I had to fix a computer just because the owner just had to update his drivers to the latest and greatest, only to totally screw up his machine.

Mouse84,

I was thinking of the case where somebody may just be using their computer for software other than Trainz. I know, it sounds ridiculous, but somewhere out there, there may be someone who uses other programs that require a driver other than the one version that works with TS2009. It's not a case of not using "the latest", but a case of apparently being tied to only one driver version.

Just a thought.

Stuart

drivers are adapted to solve some problems with recent programs; thus those programs work only with the latest driver. Not everyone can afford a separate pc for trainz.

weevil, very useful review. Now I've made up my mind about purchasing 2009. Thanks for taking the time.

Back