Your Favorite Locomotive Type?

...including the old Japanese standard which is narrow gauge by North American standards, and especially among them the Kiha 80 series and their later derivatives. although there's a narrower gauge system, even for Japanese standards that i forget the name of, and don't much care for either its earlier nor later color scheme, but the equipment is really, or looks like in the pictures, which is all I know of it, just right...
There are three gauges common in Japan. Most mainline trains were built to the Swedish standard of 1067mm (3' 6") which became so popular through the Pacific and South African regions. The second, for mountain branch lines, was 762mm (2' 6"). Most of those have been converted to 1067mm, but one line across the bay from Nagoya is still actively carrying passengers on 762mm rails. They use quite attractive EMUs. The third standard is (can you guess?) naturally 1372mm (4' 6"). That's why Japanese n-scale is 1/150 rather than 1/160. They're modelling trolley gauge.
Standard gauge used to be an oddball, only used for American style subways like the Marunouchi and Ginza lines, but most commuter lines which started as streetcars have converted to 1435mm (4' 8.5" standard gauge).
If you run across the Narrower gauge you were thinking of, let us know. I'd like to know what it is.

Might be a good idea to say in what country &/or state they were/are mainly used in.

DD17 - 1046/7/9
I found the DD17. It's a tank engine indigenous to the Queensland area. http://www.home.railscene.com/zanatta/loco/dd17.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaUUCB6-GCM
It looks like it's propane fired, now.

:cool:Claude

To get more specific.

USA-Diesel-first generation-GM EMD-BL2-Bangor and Aroostook-Engine 54.

The sexiest locomotive ever to grace the rails.
Oh, its good looking alright but there is no engine like the Wabash 1189! You know about her jade, so I'm not going into details. She is an F7 last one built at EMD Canada and that paint, my Lord that paint, mmm. Now thats sexy!!!
Here she is, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkTJ1km220
Tell me what you think!

I like North American Steam such as
N&W 4-8-4 Class J

Virginian 2-8-8-8-2 and 2-10-10-2
C&NW E-4
Northern Pacific Z-5 2-8-8-4
C&O 2-6-6-6 allegheny and with diesels
GP-18, trainmasters, As-616, Coal and steam turbines and much more...........................I am serious my list will be twice as long as a three posts

Steam: Victorian Railways S class 4-6-2 Pacific steam locomotives, preferably S301... Original streamlined it my favorite variant, followed by 'semi streamlined' (streamlined without front doors and with a cast cow catcher), then 'as built' :)

Diesel: Victorian Railways S class (GM EMD A16C) CO-CO diesel electric locomotives, in VR blue and gold, preferably S301...

Electric: Victorian Railways L Class CO-CO electric locomotive, preferably in VR blue and gold.

Zec

Electric: Victorian Railways L Class CO-CO electric locomotive, preferably in VR blue and gold.

Zec

You sure there isn't a Electric loco classed as a S Class Zec, You would have a bit of a theme going then :hehe:

Diesels, older types like old EMD G12s, G22Cs etc. Alcos, GEs, Baldwins, Fairbanks Morse, English Electrics, Paxmans, Sulzers.... the list goes on.:)

I can tolerate the newer diesels, but anything prior to 90s I guess would be my main interest.

I do have a liking for steam, I did enjoy a trip on the Valley Rattler last year. For anyone who doesn't know, it's a steam excursion that runs from Gympie to Imbil in Queensland.

http://www.thevalleyrattler.com/

British Railways 9F 2-10-0. A derivative from the W.D. 2-10-0s of the 1940s.
Was used as a maid of all work on all regions. Except country branch lines, due to lenghy wheelbase.

I concur. I would also like to add that it is a direct heat for me between the above mentioned 9F and the A3, or the class of the Flying Scotsman.

NG favorite: K-28 473
Standard steamer: 4-6-2 K4
Favorite diseal:any alco
Electric: The PRR GG1

Steam: GWR's "The Great Bear", a 4-6-2 Pacific. It was developed before Gresley's A1 Pacific.

Diesel: QR's 1550/2100/2400, 2800 and the XPT.

Electric: I don't really have a favourite electric train, but I suppose the NSW Cityrail S Set would be a good choice. I still have fond memories of riding them from Liverpool station to Sydney's Central, or from the "then" new Holsworthy station.

Gosh, that's a hard one.

If I was really pushed, I think it would be a dead heat between the BR class 40 "Whistlers" and the Deltics...along with the Met Camm Class 101 DMU (they have glass windows at the front of the passenger compartment, so you can see where you are going. I always reckoned I could learn how to drive one just by watching the driver through the windows!).

The 31s, 37s and Peaks were really common in my area too, so I'm rather fond of them as well.

Favourite locos:
NG: TU2K (ТУ2К)
Diesel: 2TE116 (2ТЭ116)
Electric: CS2K (ЧС2К)
EMU: ED4M (ЭД4М)
Subway: 81-740

Hmmm... Lets see...
I'd have to say American 4-8-4s. Particularly NYC, C&O, UP, and GN.

Last edited:
Mmmm:

RENFE 1-4-1 (2-8-2) Mikado
RENFE 2-4-2 (4-8-4) Confederación
RENFE 2-4-1 (4-8-2) Bonita
RENFE (Ex-MZA) 2-4-0 (4-8-0)

My favorite are almost any American early diesels. F units and old Alcos like RS3's are at the top. I just found some gorgeous F units on the Jointed Rail page and they are by far the best I have ever seen for Trainz. I've still not found any RS3's with detailed trucks or any improvements over the current versions which distort if you have any detail or more than a few cars around them. SW switchers are another favorite. I also love shays and other American steam, and even modern Dash 9 units ect, although I do get bored with them since most of what I see in real life these days are those.

I love modern day American Diesels. My Favorites are:

GE AC6000cw
GE ES44AC with the NAthan K5HLL horn!!!!

Back