Your Favorite Locomotive Type?

illinoiscentral

SARM Volunteer
List your favorite locomotive, Steam, Diesel, or Electric. Any country.
I would like to see what everyone likes so please tell people you know!:D If by spcific railroad, list it. Tell why you like it.

British Railway steam locomotive.

British Railways 9F 2-10-0. A derivative from the W.D. 2-10-0s of the 1940s.
Was used as a maid of all work on all regions. Except country branch lines, due to lenghy wheelbase.

North American steam

Matt

Thrid that, paticularly ones with the 4-4-0 wheel arrangement. Though I like some foreign steam, too! I also like North American-built steam in Europe and South America, especially seeing them work alongside or share a home with other European-built engines!:cool:

Favorite steam: U.P. Big Boy. It's both physically imposing and attractive. Honorable mention goes to the big mainline tank engines.

Favorite Diesel: Alco DL-109 passenger locomotive. Otto Kuhler outdid himself with the lean and rakish look of Alco's first streamlined engine. My second prize here goes to JNR's DE-10 switch engine. One of a series of Japanese deisel-hydraulics, it may be the most widespread of their classic diesels, found from freight yards to excursion trains.

Favorite electric: JNR EF-58. A massive boxcab passenger engine that has been pulling elite trains for decades, and still has what it takes to excel.
The runner up in this class is the American equivalent; Pennsy's GG1, a long, lean and fast powerhouse, replaced but never really outdated.

:cool:Claude

Last edited:
My favorites are:
Amtrak AEM7's in Phase V,
Amtrak Acela's,
Amtrak Acela HHP8's,
MARC AEM7's,
MARC acela HHP8's
MARC GP39's,
MARC GP40wh-2's,
CSX SD80mac's.
Oh and I realy like the MARC Bi (2) level cab cars and Amtrak amfleet's.
wridenour

Last edited:
not a locomotive as such but a self propelled passenger vehicule, and that would have to be a narrow gauge version of the perry people mover.

second would be pretty much all narrow guage multiple unit equipment, reguardless of power source.

especially including the old japanese standard which is narrow gauge by north american standards, and especially among them the kiha 80 series and their later derivatives. although there's a narrower gauge system, even for japanese standards that i forget the name of, and don't much care for either its erlier nor later color scheme, but the equipment is really, or looks like in the pictures, which is all i know of it, just right.

then there's my own design, of a 30in guage local transit m.u. vehicule.

something i see as some day in some places replacing most of the functionality of the private automobile when those become no longer practical, which, if not in my lifetime, then quite likely in someone's not too far past it.

as for favorite types of propulsion, if i haven't already said so in this thread before, which at i guess i might have, any sort of stored or clean energy propulsion. flywheels, compressed air, batteries, fuel cells, cable car with the cable wound by wind or air or whathave you, essentially anything that doesn't involve burning anything at any point.

cat and 3rd rail are ok too, but onboard power, even if its stored energy, does have certain advantages.

My favorite Locomotive Type?

My favorite locomotive type has to be the legendary steam locomotive!
My favorite steam locomotive is Cass Scenic RailRoad's Shay #5.
I love Shay #5 because of her age (104 years old ). It has alot of history to it as well. :D:)

Last edited:
To get more specific.

USA-Diesel-first generation-GM EMD-BL2-Bangor and Aroostook-Engine 54.

The sexiest locomotive ever to grace the rails.

Back