Require sign that lays flat!

Driver_Col

Is there (can somebody create) a sign on which can be added text but, unlike the current DLS signs, would lay flat on the ground???

I am currently involved in a joint project that includes landscaping a town that I am not familiar with and it would save so much time if I could label the roads, key buildings etc, so that I am not continually flip-flopping between Trainz and Google Earth to ensure that I am working in the correct area. It is so much easier to get correct relationships between buildings, roads, rivers, railway yards etc. etc. from a "low flying" height, than it is to go down to ground level to read the sign.... which then restricts the view of the area.

Just a thought!

Colin.

Just a thought. Would not a "ground" texture that You would make having the desired text on it work? If so, then you could do as many as you wanted (255 limit i think it is). The downside being the accuracy of placement and perhaps loss of actual terrrain features.

Would not a "ground" texture that You would make having the desired text on it work? .

Hmmmm..... you've got me on that one! I am very happy at placing assets and blending textures but have never created a texture however, that also sounds as if I would have to create a separate texture for every "sign"? Given that "my signs" would remain in place for quite some time, I imagine that the only way to eventually remove them would be to delete the kuid in the layout config?

An interesting idea but it raises a few issues.

Regards. Colin.

There are pushpins, or whatever else they're called. I place them at stations and name them, station 1, station 2 etc

In Surveyor you can then do a 'Find Object', scroll down the list, click-on it and move straight to it.

There are pushpins, or whatever else they're called. I place them at stations and name them, station 1, station 2 etc

In Surveyor you can then do a 'Find Object', scroll down the list, click-on it and move straight to it.

Hi Dave: The issue is really having the names displayed on the layout when I am "low flying" it!

Example: I am creating a town with East St., Water St., and Penny Lane. I have to put a church about 600yds East of where East St meets Penny Lane, and add a river that passes about 800yds South of the church going under Water St at a point 200yds from the Penny Lane/East St. intersection.

It would quite simple if one could look down at the layout and see the key streets.

Thx for you suggestion though. Regards. Colin.

You need a piece of content like DespRocal Texture that is 1 square in size. It's not difficult to reproduce something like this by copying it and renaming it to suit. I downloaded 9 basemaps and copied one and renamed it in the config to 10, 11, 12 etc. You could do the same with something like the above and in a graphix program change the texture to white? and type the street name on it.

You just need something you can alter the texture, but I can't suggest anything but DespRocal Texture 82100:24501:1-24508:1

http://foro.ibertrainz.com

You need a piece of content like DespRocal Texture that is 1 square in size. It's not difficult to reproduce something like this by copying it and renaming it to suit. I downloaded 9 basemaps and copied one and renamed it in the config to 10, 11, 12 etc. You could do the same with something like the above and in a graphix program change the texture to white? and type the street name on it.
http://foro.ibertrainz.com

Thx. Idea much appreciated and will certainly do the job. The only down side is the steps to create an apprpriate sign when compared to simple lettering of a traditional sign. However, until someone feels inclined to produce a horizontal/flat sign, it will do very nicely.

Thx again. Regards. Colin.

I hope you're successful Colin and it would be nice if someone would make a flat sign, I could find a good use for it myself.

Cheers

Dave

I'd be happy to do you one. What size would you like it to be and I suppose the color doesn't matter.
Mike

Hiya Alberte, that's just what I need, thanks :wave:

leeferr - Personally, 1 square would be fine, thank you so much and white would be good.

Thanks again

Dave

Hi Colin

If you add the following line to the config file of any sign of your choice:

rotate-yz-range -90,90 (or -180,180 if you want to go upside-down!)

it can be made to lay flat. You now have the facility to rotate in the yz plane by pressing shift while rotating in Surveyor. Normal xy rotation (without pressing shift) is retained.

Hope this is a simple answer to your problem.

Richard

Hi Colin

If you add the following line to the config file of any sign of your choice:

rotate-yz-range -90,90 (or -180,180 if you want to go upside-down!)

it can be made to lay flat. You now have the facility to rotate in the yz plane by pressing shift while rotating in Surveyor. Normal xy rotation (without pressing shift) is retained.

Hope this is a simple answer to your problem.

Richard

Hi Richard .............. PERFECT! I just cloned it and made your changes! Would it fair to assume that I can tilt/roll any asset with this config line?

Great solution ......... really appreciated.

:D

Regards. Colin.

Have you tried the set of Push pins?
KUID: 70337:23007
KUID: 70337:23014
KUID: 70337:23008
KUID: 70337:23009

The text on top is horizontal and large so it's easy to read from above. Four different colours too so you can colour-code different types of locations.

There is also a corresponding set of map flags with vertical text that can also label future work.
KUID: 70337:23010
KUID: 70337:23011
KUID: 70337:23012
KUID: 70337:23013

Back