What is the verdict for 2009?

Trainz is more about making routes, and running other peoples routes anyway. The built in stuff is just the tip of the iceberg, and not that great most of the time anyway.

Think of trainz for what it is. A model railroad that is easier to maintain, takes up almost no space, is much cheaper, and can do whatever your imagination can think of.

I like that I have to rely on other people's content. I gain new perspectives on various parts of the world, and even my own country. Plus it allows people to show off their art, and I am sure that content creators get a feeling of pride when they see someone else using their content.

I have to say that 09 is a huge boost to route building. It fixed several of the problems that I had with it, thus making it easier to create beautiful routes.

i didn't pay no 60-120 for TRS2006 I got it from amazon.com paid 30 for it brand new.

anyway theres no pleaseing some people. and i suspect he won't last much longer on here.

Hi all first off I am interested in comments about this as I am still running 2006. I hope that some of the bugs I had with both 2004/2006 have been fixed, although these may have been system problems.

My second comment is that as some one who has been on this forum for a long time and counts many of the content creators as friends even though I have never met any of them I think that bad mouthing there content is counter productive.

yes some content has errors in newer versions of train that is only to be expected when the physics of the software changes.

if any one takes offence at any of my comments then sorry but I have to back up my friends.

regards Kester

I don't see what xphantomx did wrong, his posts are completely to the point. The question asked is 'What is the verdict for 2009?'. Xphantomx points out that he is not altogether happy with the product, and gives a few good examples. (like I did in my post here on the first page too). If everyone thought this game was fantastic, then what is the point of this topic?

I agree that the ingame route and content is mediocre to say the least. I've already disabled ALL built-in content. I would rather have bought a game with no built-in content at all. It is true that Railsimulator for instance had a lot of high quality built in content, and it wasn't that more expensive. I'm still a Trainz fan, but TRS2009 is not the holy grail of train sims. It is just another recylcled version of good old TS2004.

It is just another recycled version of good old TS2004.

Which makes TS2009 in my opinion a very great recycled and worked on version of TRS2004. :)

TRS2004 was a great innovating program when it came, with TRS2006 we got the dreaded CMP but also some good ideas for the program that just didn't fully worked out.

Now, with TS2009, I have basic the same as TRS2004, with a better working database tool then TRS2006 gave me - and a way to avoid it all together through a program called CMAP (look it up on the TrainzDev site) if your a mesh maker in a need to get stuff into the game without Auran's database front program running all the time.
Plus, I have a half sized grid then before - which from my point of view is a massive improvement over TRS2004 and alone is worth the asking price for this reworked TRS2004 program. :cool:

Then again, I create for my own joy, I like building meshes and stuff, I like to use this program to create dream worlds and work on a real life place creating as good as I can and the program allows me.
For this, Trainz has always had a great place in my heart, TRS2006 sort of never really gave me that good feel so I stayed with TRS2004 due to ease of use and no hassle.
With TS2009 I nearly have the same good feel playing with it as I did with TRS2004, I even have some of the same fault I had back in TRS2004 when that was new.
Making me feel history repeats it self, making me look forward to the Service Pack coming soon, just as I remember I did back in TRS2004 when Auran had to do the same in order to fix some stuff that got messed up.

This makes me believe Auran can pull it off, I am mostly happy with TS2009, there is only one thing in that program that makes me now miss TRS2004, and so far I've been able to get around that as I have the same map in both versions.
Down the line I hope that Auran will fix this problem, or even better, give me a better way to do what I was able to do before TS2009 came along, then what all versions of Trainz have had as a option to this particular tool in Surveyor.
Moving the camera, trackside & tracking...

The tools meant for that ain't working perfect in a mountain setting, never have, and might never will...
But, until TS2009 came along (I never had the TC series, so it might have been a problem there too), I was able to use the move button inside the Scenery tab to move the camera also.
It meant it was sunk into ground, but I raised the grid point it was on, move the camera to snap it to the ground, lowered ground again and had a perfect place for a trackside camera in a deep ravine, underground or whatever I needed it for.
I no longer can do that, and for that I dislike TS2009.

Other then that, I find I use this program now more then TRS2004, and I even have created a few things only for TS2009 - for me, this has been a big step up, even if I loose the camera thing...
As I think I can convince Auran to fix it later on, even if I need to buy a new version.

I of course also has big wishes for Trainz, wishes that so far has been turned down.
Don't fully like that, but as a work in progress I'm sure they will see the benefit down the line to add it so we also can make a 5m hole as we now have a 5 meter grid, but for now that has been turned down.

Also, one day I hope they can raise that stupid 3000 meter limit, but I think that will not happen until either a new graphic engine happens to be needed, or a small miracle happens.
I have a feel I will get a 2,5 meter grid before I get a raised height limit, but then again, I got a 5 meter grid in Trainz even if and others had been told before that it would never happen/be possible... :eek:

So, there is always hope. :D

For now, I'm happy, I'm sorry to hear others are not happy, but then again, we all expect different stuff, and we all adapt to whatever suit us best.

From my point of view, if Auran can repack TRS2004 one more time, with a even better grid then TS2009, I pay the double of this program - that is, when I get the funding for it that is... :hehe:
For now, I will be happy with TS2009, next year I can afford it again. :)

My meaning, now over to some one else meaning and opinion. See you around guys.

Best wishes from Norway

Linda

Hallo Linda

Well said but of course Auran could not please everyone all the time. Let's just hope everyone enjoys Trainz now for the Holidays. :)

Cheers

AJ

It never fails in every forum board there has to be someone who feels the need to be grammer police. Yeah my spelling isn't the best plus I'm replying using my smartphone but you understood what I meant to say dispite my mispellings so cut me some slack.

You obviously missed the smiley face at the end of my post.

My point is, although this new version of the game boasts better graphics there virtually is none at this time till content creators make it. What your buying for 30 US bucks is a new graphic engine with new looking UI with better in game web browser, that's it. It still looks and feels like I'm playing TRS06. If your just a player and not a content creator, people may want to wait 4+ months before they buy this game.

Personally, I think the issue is that you, and A LOT of other people posting on here recently, just didn't take the time to read and understand exactly what the 'World Builder's Edition' was before paying for it.

You all got what was advertised with regard to the content, the fact that you 'didn't realise' doesn't make it some kind of a con.

Mike.

Yeah, that's it. Give you a new tool but don't tell you how to use it.

What good is a new graphic engine if content creators don't know how to fully utilize it's capability and there is no resources available to learn how?? Does this freeware graphic software like GMAX, Blender or whatever they are even capable of making high res images like the new loco in the game has?? If they don't then what? People going to have to spend a fortune on powerful graphic software in order to do so?

I understand your point fully.

Blender can be used to create items to the highest TRS2009 standard and its free. GMAX won't do it by itself but it can be used with other software to do the same thing.

We used to reckon it takes two years of programming in a new language for a full time programmer to become proficient. Up until now most people have been creating in GMAX, it will take time for them to become used to Blender if they decide to switch. They aren't creating full time so realistically it will take time to come up to speed.

Shortline2

@@It is just another recycled version of good old TS2004. @@

"Which makes TS2009 in my opinion a very great recycled and worked on version of TRS2004. :) "

I totally agree with Linda these things are so complex that anything that is evolutionary and reuses old code is normally a lot better than something done from scratch.

Cheerio John

i didn't pay no 60-120 for TRS2006 I got it from amazon.com paid 30 for it brand new.

anyway theres no pleaseing some people. and i suspect he won't last much longer on here.

Yeah I don't know where he's getting his figures at but I bought TRS06 brand new from a retail store for like 45 bucks. My point was, I would have been happy to spend 50-60 bucks for this new game if it had more new content in it, I didn't mean I'd spend 60 bucks more on top of what I already spent.

As far as the term 'simulator' goes, that means the game is supposed to mimic real life, who makes the games content is irrelevent and isn't what makes it a simulator. There are plenty of other simulator games on the market, like flight simulators that aren't open sourced to let the comsumer modify the game or make their own content, yet there still simulator games.

We'll see as time goes along what type of content will be made by creators for this new game and it it takes advantage of the new graphic engine or not.

You obviously missed the smiley face at the end of my post.

Personally, I think the issue is that you, and A LOT of other people posting on here recently, just didn't take the time to read and understand exactly what the 'World Builder's Edition' was before paying for it.

You all got what was advertised with regard to the content, the fact that you 'didn't realise' doesn't make it some kind of a con.

Mike.

Well you are right that I didn't fullt realize and learn what I bought till after I bought it, but I don't feel nor have I said I got conned out of my money. It would have been nice to have more than just two new content items. If Auran wants to showcase their new graphic engine, put a decent amount of content in the game that does so, not just one or two items.

Complaints of trainz locos doing the quarter mile in 14 seconds can be considered bogus. I can show you a protype for it on my model railroad. Keep in mind that model railroads are also a part of real life.:wave:

Yeah I don't know where he's getting his figures at but I bought TRS06 brand new from a retail store for like 45 bucks. My point was, I would have been happy to spend 50-60 bucks for this new game if it had more new content in it, I didn't mean I'd spend 60 bucks more on top of what I already spent.

I'm using the figures for TRS06 when it was released. When games are released (even updated versions of an older game) they generally cost a hell of a lot more than $30... TRS06, when it came out and for the first few months was $90 for the 5 CD version, and $120 for the limited edition DVD version. TS2009 is $30 from the day it came out... See the difference in price now? And there is, from memory, a lot less new content from Auran in 06 than there is in 09. So, in truth, you are getting a bargain compared to 06. 04 was about the same if I remember right (I bought the deluxe edition for about $40). So, so far, 09 has been cheaper than any other full release of Trainz on the day it was released, and cheaper than any other full release was after a couple of years...

Ah, bugger... Just realised something (although the above is still partially relevant). I've been talking Au $. All monetary values in my posts are Au $, however they are still correct.
Zec

My comments refer to steam.

1) Bogies that can have sideplay, now that is a much needed and long awaited feature. 3 bonus points.
2) Sound system: loop files track speed much better than in 04, but the sudden transition between the individual beats and loop files is disconcerting to say the least. With lots of fiddling with sound files I think a reasonable sound is possible, but I haven't had time to investigate this. The first transition comes at a very low speed, probably because the beats get knotted up very early in the piece; 04 was better but 09 is linked to wheel speed not train speed, so that is a plus. 1 bonus point.
3) E-specs: One of my main complaints is that the most commonly published performance figures are not included as tags. Bore, stroke, wheel diameter, grate area and boiler pressure spring to mind; of these only boiler pressure is there, in the form of safety valve blow-off pressure. I now have a working E-spec for my S class but am still having trouble with steam production; control of the boiler pressure while running is not easy. Driving in 04 was easier. 0 bonus points.

So that is my summing up of a very restricted look at 09: 4 bonus points.

Bill.:eek:

hi All...

I think 2009 is just great and works just fine, along with CM2....does it need improvement?....yes...........will it come?...I think so....so let's all be patient, I have 04, 06 and TC along with 09.........$30. for a new version, not bad, but for those of you who are willing to pay $60. for an all new 'super' version with new 'power', use YOUR talent, money, and design it, manufacture it, etc....it is a free market out there...for me I am willing to take what all the hard workers at Auran and especially all the talented content creators out there offer us....I wish I could learn how to do some of the stuff they do every day....one other comment, go online and see how many times you will see the CEO of General Motors, Citibank, AIG, etc., (and if the have one available) on a forum talking to 'disgruntled members' who don't like their product...I find it amazing Tony Hillman actually comes on here and attempts to smooth over your displeasure with 09

John

MY Trainz 2009

:):):) Well I purchased Trainz 2009 on line only the download link and I thought that it was a resonibal fast download , bering inmind that I still have 50 odd days download ticket time left, wether that was why, it was fast?
anyway I was able to download a further copy which I have saved to disc in case of losing my trainz 2009 in a major hard drive crash, so i am happy there I also downloaded TC3 succuessfully and iam also happy with that also , regarding Trainz 2009 I think that its a super beefed up Trainz 2006, BUT I like the changes thatTrainz 2009 has its downloads fast when playing routes etc etc, and the world bulider part will be the best .....
I cant wait for the Trainz 2009 downloads to come , I have tried to transfer my content from Trainz Classic 3, so far it still transfering ok i have checked the railyard part of Trainz 2009 , and so far its loaded so far BUT BUT BUT, it takes so so long, and I have fast Broadband from BT and I am on my fast download ticket, but regarding the game its self yes its WELL Worth the purchase , and the patiance to download well done TRAINZ A nother Big success in the offing, come on you Trainz 2009 items??:':))

I'm not overly satisfied that this should be declared a new release and charged for it.
There are a lot of issues in that old 2006 routes don't import over correctly.
There is only navigation colour changes and menus replaced with boxes.

The main gripes are;
1) It is now more difficult to filter cetain elements.
2) Paint objects turn from the texture pattern to a solid colour and never come back.
3) Other textures appear fine in the thumbnail view but when applying to the landscape, the colours are still solid OR the textures appear as 2d blocks.

4) The bookmarks buttons were fine where they were.
5) The filter panel is all the way over the other side of the screen, very annoying, and now it takes 6 clicks and so much longer to find something and 3 clicks to remove your filter, instead of just selecting ALL in the 2006 version.

2) Faster graphics redraw.
3) Faster load times.

Dislikes:
1) Textures disappear, or jitter. Hard to explain what is meant there, there are large pixel blocks appearing momentarily.
2) Large memory usage for such a simple content manager.

Wish list:
1) Ability to turn off spline animations like you can with cars.
2) Remember the fact that I wanted the car and spline animations off.
3) Save a driver session launched from within Surveyor so a modification can be made and then driver session continued on.

Rethink on TS2009

Having now had more experience with TS2009 (Beta2) I have come to the conclusion that as far as steam is concerned Auran has done a great job in fixing the errors in TRS2004.
The sound can be really great if you have access to a good recording of a loco at all speeds, and the problems with wheel rotation speed and number of beats per rev have been solved.
I am particularly pleased with the introduction of bogie sideplay. This fixes a nasty visual bug which could only be partly worked around in 04.
A small new problem has crept in: the safeties blowing off create a draught in the firebox which causes more steam production so that the safeties sometimes stay on forever. Please fix.

Well done to the steam team!

Bill.

Back