Do you live near a railyard(s)?

diesel9

Southern Serves the South
Just wondering if you live near one, or there's one in your town or city. Sadly, I don't live near one nor does my town has ever had a railroad track. But I do go to the Linwood Yard in Linwood,NC which has a good I say 35 tracks. I've been to the one in Charlotte, IT'S HUGE at least 50 tracks, Glenwood Yard in Raleigh, and the one in Roanoke,VA.

So tell me the name of it, and if you can an estimated number of tracks, switches, etc.

I sort of live near one. The Ann Arbor RR used to have one near my house. the tracks and turn table are still there. however the yard is no longer used.

peter

My grandparents lived next to Radnor Yard in Nashville. I used to spend a lot of time there watching trains come and go and yes, placing pennies on the track. I'd hate to guess how many tracks there are.

I actually live next to a branch line, but about 15 or so miles away, Norfolk Southern's Sharon Yard in Sharonville, Oh, is a busy yard with some very interesting features. ;) It has a turntable, completely intact, though I have no idea if it's still used, 2, yes 2 ex Conrail cabooses regualrly in the yard, and last time I passed by there, there was a now rare SW class (don't know exact type, was riding over a bridge in the car at 50 mph... :p) parked in the yard!

The yard here is used again but only for container and waste traffic. Other yards are over the bridge in NJ.

I live near the KCS Deramus Yard,KCS Bossier Yard,UP Riverside Yard,UP Hollywood Yard,UP Resior Yard.

All the yards are intown, but since I "live" at the train museum, according to some, I guess the yard there and the CSX yard just up the tracks count, too. :p

Railyards

I worked as a car knocker/welder in Phila and Camden NJ. I am trying to recreate the 17+ freight yards of Altoona PA era 1920, on my (WIP) route in Trainz. Also...Enola, Pitcairn, and Conway PA were biggies ! I hear many large yards once employed 3000+ workers, 30,000 seems a bit large ? But Juniata Shops, Holidaysburg Car Shops, and Sam Rea Shops were extensively large in Altoona PA.

Last edited:
In my city is the small railyard in Sacramento(UPRR), but I have been to the Roseville railyard(UPRR) many times. When the Roseville yard still had the
SP-UP caboose my dad would take me there alot to see them and check out all the RR equipment that was there. But I rarely go there now as I'm so busy with school.

Matt

Yeah I do!

I live in Felton, Delaware. I live near NS Delmarva Secondary Branch mainline about 2 to 3 minutes. So, NS Harrington yard is in Harrington, Delaware. So, my home to NS Harrington yard about 10 - 15 minutes depending that traffic.

- David (BigMac)

Last edited:
YES I live next to the NECR railyard 1 street over all I hear BANG,SLAM HORNS all night shakes the house sometimes the yard is about 8 tracks 1-2 miles long plus the maintance facility google earth SAINT ALBANS Vermont. Thats the yard.

I like watching the trains at the Pomona Yard in Greensboro, NC. Its the most exciting yard to railfan the trains.

Tyler

I live down the river From shire oaks Railyard. Orinally built by the PRR. back in the 1890's to early 1900's Was taken over by Conrail and finally Norfolk southern. 20 tracks wide at it's widest point

Last edited:
Ehh Probably mentioned this many-a-time.
The Lehigh Valley once owned the former Naples branch. Had a station stop in Middlesex, and a small yard, i'd say about 3 tracks, one being the team track, another serving the grain elevator, and a passing track. Last train was in 1972. Everything in Middlesex(where i live) is gone. all that is left is the visible notices of RoW
Sean

I live in Tracy, at the base of the Altimont in california. The old sp (now uprr) yard is still there, but it is getting a major rehaul, atl east for a yard thats only six to even tracks wide haha. It used to be a massive engine facility and had two roundhouses at one point, but after the switch to diesel power the yard was down-sized and now is only used for local goods delivery and crew changes

i live about 35-40 minutes away from the UPRR yard in san antonio TX, and i went on vacation and stopped at the bailey yard in north platte,nebraska with who knows how many tracks there are it keeps growing. and i saw the bnsf clovis yard on the clovis sub

About 30 minutes north of here is the Norfolk Southern Roanoke railyard and foundry. While it only serves as a placeholder for coal trains today, it used to be much larger, and include the shops where the NW J Class locomotives were built.

Cheerio,
John

Just wondering if you live near one, or there's one in your town or city. Sadly, I don't live near one nor does my town has ever had a railroad track. But I do go to the Linwood Yard in Linwood,NC which has a good I say 35 tracks. I've been to the one in Charlotte, IT'S HUGE at least 50 tracks, Glenwood Yard in Raleigh, and the one in Roanoke,VA.

So tell me the name of it, and if you can an estimated number of tracks, switches, etc.

yes, about five blocks away. its called jennings yard. named after a guy named jennings who was division superintendent before r.r.robinson. it was, prior to completion of 'new' colton yard, sometime in the 1960s, the largest freight yard west of the mississippi.

being close enough to hear, if not see, the trains, was one of the factors in choosing my current residence.

there's an arrival/departure yard at each end, i forget how many tracks wide, where trains are final trimmed/made up prior to departure, and arrive on, waiting to be humped. in the middle there's the gravity yard or bowl, that i'm pretty sure has more then 50, though i'm not absolutely certain of it.

there are fewer arrival/departure tracks now then there had been, because osha, or somebody, decided they were too close togather for safety. they are long enough to make up 200+ car trains on (and this HAS been done). the tracks in the bowl, are, if i remember correctly, long enough to hold at least 50/60 cars each.

yup, its a pretty good sized yard.

the town i live in, roseville california, up until very recent decades, was all about the railroad, with almost everyone in town having someone in their immediate family working for it.

the area has grown and suburbanized since and been gobbled up into an ever expanding regeonal suburbia, with most of todays population not really knowing nor caring about all those tracks and trains that kind of divide the older part of town, the two origeonal downtown areas, down the middle.

Last edited:
CUMBERLAND, MD

From the back of my apartment, I can almost spit onto the CSX mainline and yard.

Here is a wide-angle shot:
pan0020.jpg

Looking towards the Narrows

IMG_0067.jpg

Amtrak "Capitol Limited" crossing Baltimore Street junction for passenger station and crew change.

7639-8098-75x6_01.jpg

I get a "steady parade" of all sorts of locos/consists all day long....rarely have to wait more than 5 minutes for another to pass by.

footersdyeworks.jpg

And just beyond the CSX tracks......the long brick building is the Footer Dye Works.....but just behind that you see the roof of the Western Maryland Station.........so on a good day, I might have live action of Passenger, Freight, and Steam........probably pretty rare!

Mark

Cool you live a few feet from a railyard. And not in a ghetto like most railroads and rail yards is located in my area.

Back